“Late fathers day meal”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
“Late fathers day meal”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter booked her dad and my self in for a meal which was excellent and the service was excellent especially from ed and Vicky and extra special from Carol as she is so lovely and a very bubbly lady she made us laugh until our eyes were hurting she made our day but I would also like to say all the other staff were friendly to and made us very welcome we will return again very soon

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Korean first
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We went to this hotel by buying a voucher from amazon local. We saved a lot of money on the deal. It was for our 40th wedding anniversary so it had to be somewhere extra special. When we arrived I told them about it being our anniversary and the lady immediately looked to up grade our room. We got a 4 poster suite with a fantastic view of the gardens it had a double aspect. From then on everything was wonderful. The food was so nice. We had afternoon tea on the terrace and the evening dinner was great. The service from the staff was first class!!

Room Tip: The four poster suites overlooking the gardens are great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times for business meetings and each time I have found it lacking in some areas. It is a shame because the hotel is set in very attractive grounds and has a spa and a golf course and the rooms are well appointed
My latest visit began with an unfriendly welcome by the desk clerk who's vocabulary seemed limited to 'rooms are only available after 2.00pm'. Eventually I was allocated room 119 which on first inspection seemed perfectly acceptable. It was part of a suite with it's own private access to the bedroom. It was large, well furnished and clean it was a pity that ear plugs and a cooling fan were not provided!
There was no air-conditioning - the one window in the room was left open presumably to compensate - but the compressor which was just outside this window meant that it was so noisy that to sleep the window had to be closed. The compressor did go off at around 10.30pm so I could then open the window, but at 6.00am it started up again but it did provide me with an unrequested early morning call.
This is not a cheap hotel and nowadays wifi, internet and telephone access for mobile devices is usually a prerequisite, but not here. During my meetings I had to keep entering the pass code every few minutes and the only area which seemed to have acceptable coverage was in the main public area.
The receptionist on checking out did not appear interested in my experience.
Unfortunately this will not be a hotel of choice for me in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, do not stay in room 119 without ear plugs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Chris M
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We arrived yesterday and last night was lovely, the only this was that when we went to our room there was nobody at the bar to serve us so that we could take a drink with us. This morning was fine but tonight there was a few corporate groups eating in the restaurant, we booked our table for 8.15, we were seated and was left for at least 15 to 20 minutes till anyone came to take our order. A large corporate group came in at 8.30 apparently they had per ordered their food, we were outside as were this group, their food then appeared but not ours. Very disappointed called the head waiter over, all he said was they pre-ordered, we asked why were we not asked to pre-order he could not answer. All we can say is that obviously corporate groups are more important to the hotel and not general public. We have left the restaurant. This weekend was to celebrate out 40th wedding anniversary, tonight has ruined it.

Room Tip: Sorry I would not bother
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert C
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Please accept my apologies if you were made to feel less important than the large group we had in that night but because we did not want to disrupt the restaurant service we asked them to order as they checked in at reception in the afternoon . I feel sure that is not something you would have wanted but I do hope that explains what is meant by pre-order.
I note from our records that your starters were ready 13minutes after the order was taken which is relatively quick but I do apologise if you were kept waiting prior to the order being taken. Clearly you seem to have been in a bit of a rush ?
The Trevelyan is a 2 AA Rosette restaurant and one should not rush the experience particularly when celebrating something , I am sorry you were not happy.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently stayed her with my girlie friends and I couldn't recommend it enough!
We chose Menzies as there were 5 of us and we all wanted to be together and they have 'Spa Apartments' on site.
They came highly recommended and they didn't disappoint!
They are really modern and our one in particular was over 3 floors.
Ground Floor; Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room and Cloak Room
Basement - Twin Bedroom
Top Floor - Ensuite Bedroom, Main Bathroom and another twin bedroom.
All rooms were a really good size and all apartments have a shared terrace area which is great in the summer for a morning cup of tea!
We only stayed for one night and I really wish we had stayed for two so that we could really make the most of the apartment - so if you can I would highly recommend staying for 2nights and having a night in with food and a few bottle of wines!
The spa is really beautiful - it is separate to the hotel and apartments and was once the old stables. It has been done really well and has a range of heat and ice facilities as well as a swimming pool, jacuzzi and outdoor hydro pool.
They have a lovely spa lunch area meaning you can have lunch in your robes. The lunches are really light but filling and totally yummy! The best spa lunch I have had - in fact I wish I could eat it all over again!
We didn't eat dinner at the hotel as we decided to head into town for drinks and dinner at prezzo, which is only 5 minutes from the hotel and is only £5 in a taxi.
The town is beautiful and well worth a stroll!
Although I went with a group of friends which the venue is perfect for - I would definitely go back with my boyfriend as the grounds and the hotel have a really lovely romantic feel!
Overall I would really recommend it!

ONE TO VISIT!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the apartments - a lovely home away from home!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the great review , so glad you all had an enjoyable time and like the Spa Apartment - they are ideal for a small group.
Be sure to bring the men next time and they can play golf !
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here on a Friday night with two friends to celebrate a birthday. We were very impressed as soon as we saw the hotel it is quite magnificent. We checked in which was fast and easy and went to our room which was huge!! We had booked a room for the three of us to share and there was ample space for us all. There were two big single beds and a fold out put up bed which didn't look the comfiest and I guess meant for a child really but it was fine for the one night. We went and sat in the beautiful gardens and shared a bottle of wine or two before getting ready for our evening meal. The meal was lovely. We stuck to the menu whichever as included in our package but you can order off any menu and pay the difference. Can definitely recommend the mojitos! The following day we spend the day in the spa which again is fab and even though it was a Saturday was not busy at all. Had an amazing back massage which perfectly finished off a perfect weekend. Would definitely return and recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
So glad you were happy with the bedroom , enjoyed the Spa and food - but just as importantly the mojitos and wine !
Look forward to seeing you again - thank you
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Elegant hotel providing good service, atmosphere and food. No complaints from any of the 'nit-picking' dozen golfers - which speaks volumes for the quality.
Of no interest to non-golfers but the course was in great condition - only complaints being, in some cases, the distance from green to tee and the length of the second cut which was punishing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the 16th green/17th tee - great views!
1 Thank Mike H
Thank you for the good review , I am glad you all enjoyed the course which is looking extemely good at the moment - it does pay to stay on the fairway and avoid the rough ! - nevertheless I have spoken to the head greenkeeper about the length and thickness of that second cut - thank you for the constructive comment.
Glad you also enjoyed the views from you room