“Beautiful building in spectacular grounds, service to be improved”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
“Beautiful building in spectacular grounds, service to be improved”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stunning looking hotel and grounds, views from rooms were amazing. Food was excellent but had to give this hotel 4 stars because the service lacked throughout our weekend stay. On arrival the reception desk was a bit of a shambles and my husband was checked in without me for some reason!! we had no help with luggage to our rooms and the bar service was extremely slow, several of the pumps were not working, at dinner we had a room for our party (15 of us) with a couple of waiters but we had to continually ask for things including the wine list which came after our starter. There was no wine waiter so bottles were just put on the table to help ourselves. At breakfast we had to ask several times for tea and coffee and toast including an order of gluten free toast which never came, a top up of tea request was totally forgotten. Over all there seemed to be a shortage of staff. If these issues with service were to be addressed then it would merit 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

So I stayed here for the first time after staying at the same place in the midlands for over 5 years. I was looking for a new experience and I certainly got one. This is a golf resort, English style. The rooms are huge (12' ceilings!), the service is fair, and the location is about a mile from downtown Stratford. I can't remember the history of the hotel (something tied to Shakespeare), but it's well worth the money if you package it with a golf day (which I didn't), or a evening at the theatre (which I did).
The view of the back garden is fantastic, and the dining selections was very nice. Bar was lively that night, and the had quite a few wines, beers and scotches to choose from. Breakfast was typical English buffet style
We had dinner there the first night, and it was fine.... Nothing to die for, but for the location (looking out on the garden) and time of day, it was very nice.

Took a few attempts to get the heat turned off (there's no A/C in the hotel), and the first night was too hot for sleeping. That's not good in the heat of the summer. The 2nd night was much better, as the towel heater was turned off. Coffee in the room was limited to 2 packets of coffee, but they eventually got a few more.

As I understand it there's walking trails to Stratford, but I didn't try that either.

All in all I'd stay there again, and make sure to try the golf course. Bit pricey for just a business hotel, but fun nonetheless if you want to do something in Stratford.
I'd give it 4 stars.....

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dhavekost
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel in 2013, absolutely superb.

Booked again for this year.Looking forward to the relaxing atmosphere.

One of the best horels I have stayed in (and I have been in a few) Golf and Spa facilities were first class.

Ray Oakley

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family & I stayed for my birthday celebration, from our reception until our complaint afterwards, I never felt the hotel grasped how they let themselves down. It was not a cheap deal, £170 for b&b for 2 adults/2 children for 1 night - yes they upgraded our room, however this was to a suite next to the generator, car park and recycling units, leaving our children unable to sleep at night and a wake up due to recycling around 6 am - I wish I had kept our normal room! Checked in late afternoon and all down the corridor were dirty breakfast trays, dead flowers dotted on ledges and generally lack of attention to detail. Breakfast the next morning, seemed to baffle staff that we wished to sit with our family for breakfast and they laid to 4 tables even when we explained a table of 8 was preferred. The spa was the one saving grace, a lovely area - no complaints about that part. When I then wrote my issues to the hotel afterwards they still did not respond in a positive or apologetic manor. Would not return as I think there are better options out there, I try and be fair with all my reviews and this hotel did not fulfil and feeling of luxury.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MixedBunch
Merville, France
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Booked a last minute break. We were upgraded to a suite which was fabulous. Sitting on the terrace with afternoon tea is just perfect with more than perfect views.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The bar drinks were similar to bars in town but in a much better setting and with very accommodating staff.
The pièce de résistance is the spa, clean, great facilities, spot on!
All in all a wonderful relaxing 2 night stay. Can't wait to return in the future

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Pauliepoop
UK
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Quick review sorry as I am in a bit of a rush. 2 night stay in July.
Initial impressions, nice hotel, easy to find (mind you take the correct entry!) and seems secure.

Parking was ok, but car park was almost 100% full. Managed to find a space ok there after but it was always pretty full.

Check in was quick and easy and off to my room.

Carpets in the hall ways were looking a bit past their best - but the rest of the hotel seemed pretty clean and tidy - plenty of staff etc etc.

Room was ready on arrival.

Room featured a mac computer (did not even attempt to use!), good size flat screen TV, tea and coffee and that was about it.

My main gripe was the bathroom. The silicone in the shower had quite a bit of mold on it - at least a months worth. Not great given the room rates. Also, the sink taps would leak when you turned them on. Lastly the sink taps did not extend into the basin - so if you tired to wash your hands water just went all over the counter. Shame really, as the rest of the room was ok.

Room service was decent - food was hot, well cooked and tasty. Also fairly quick - 20 mins tops.

Overall, not bad - not great. I would have liked to have tried the pool but it closes at 6 which means after you get in from work around 6pm its already closed...

Would probably stay again if needed, but would probably prefer the Q hotel up the road.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Manc_7
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Our wedding was held here on the 20th June 2014. From the very first moment I walked into the Welcombe I knew it would be the most perfect venue for our wedding.
We first put our deposit down in September 2012 and even though the wedding was so far away Jess (Jessica Shepard the wedding co-ordinator) was always just at the end of an email answering my questions no matter how big/small.
We had a free menu tasting dinner and the service for this is the main restaurant was outstanding which set a precedent for the wedding which was most definitely met if not exceeded.
The day before the wedding we took all of our bits and bobs to the hotel and Jess assured us her team would set it all up... This was a huge relief (as there really were quite a few things to be put out!)
The wedding day itself was absolutely perfect and the room set up perfectly. We were greeted with champagne and Jess and her team made sure everything was perfect for us.
Everything was so relaxed and times for dinner and first dance etc we're double checked with me and the groom thought the day and we moved something's back/forward as things happened.
The food was AMAZING. We chose the corn fed chicken which I'm assured was tender and cooked to perfection. Whilst giving our choices I mentioned that I really enjoyed the pork which is what I had for the menu tasting and Jess made it possible for me as the bride to have "whatever I wanted" and sure enough it was once again perfect. They also took into consideration the needs of my (fussy eater) mother in law and she had chicken off the bone with potatoes and gravy kept separate! They also changed the children's starters for us to cheesy garlic bread which went down a treat!
A couple of starters were missed (my little ones starter wasn't delivered for ages and she was hungry!) but this was resolved promptly. The Groom didn't have any roast potatoes but again he was delivered a plate of them quickly after he told a waiter.
Basically everything was just as we wanted it. Everyone at the wedding commented on how helpful and attentive the staff were. They also loved the relaxed informal set up we had going on, the team had set up our lawn games on the grass for the drinks reception which was just perfect!
To our bridal suite... 'Susanna's Room' overlooked the beautiful gardens and was HUGE! With a beautiful 4 poster bed, Roll top bath in the bathroom the size of an apartment! We had a wonderful group photo taken from the room of everyone below outside!
So overall, a perfect wedding! We cannot thank you all enough!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family