“Disappointed”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I attended my sons wedding on Sunday. Many rooms had been booked and we were assured that rooms would be ready for 2pm, wedding at 3pm.They were not available. I was offered tea whilst waiting which never appeared. After being told it would be ANOTHER 10 minutes before several rooms were available my sisters room became available and we scrambled to get ready.Several guests had to do this. Not an ideal way to prepare for my sons wedding! Very anxious. Wedding meal was not as agreed which was not acceptable. Wedding favours did not appear. Don't know what happened to them! For an establishment that prides itself on attention to detail it was sadly lacking. None of this should have happened and therefore I cannot give a higher rating. Beware.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

A treat for my partners 50th bday.
I booked a weekend package ...room meal cream tea on arrival full breakfast and use off spar.Worth every penny
.A totaly fantastic time.We were upgraded (no charge) to a four poster suite with the most amazing views.The hotel and spar were spotless.The food fantastic ...think ive put on a stone!!!!....and the staff were all so helpful and friendly.
Yes there was a wedding on but couldnt hear a sound.
Can not see how anyone can not like this truly magical place.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nikki H
Oldbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a spa break with 12 girl friends for my birthday. We booked 7 months in advance to ensure everything was perfect.

I cannot stress enough how fantastic the spa is and all it's associated rooms! The spa apartments we used were great too! Montagu, Lysander and Ursula. Really well equipped apart from no tea towel or cloths in the kitchen, and really nicely done out. Very clean and modern!

We arrived at Welcombe for a 1pm lunch, followed by a 2pm room check in, and first treatment at 2.30.

Lunch arrived, great sandwiches, cous cous, prawn cocktail portions and chicken skewers. To follow was fruit salad. Issues here were no serving spoons and then no spoons or bowls for the fruit salad, all of which had to be asked for. Then when we had almost finished eating, a bowl of wedges arrived! Again no serving equipment and a bit disjointed. Still good food! And fabulous spa area to eat.

We went to check in so we could dump our bags and get dressed for the spa. None of the apartments were ready. We ended up trapsing bags around to get changed for treatments and swim etc etc and it felt very awkward and frustrating. Luckily the treatments were amazing which helped! However, we waited until five to five for our rooms to be ready. The excuse - 1 person had called in sick to the house keeping team. If 1 person brings a venue of this size to a standstill there are bigger issues to be dealt with.....

We were given a menu to choose our three course meal options. This was great as it meant no wait times when we went to eat at 8pm. When we handed the menu in the waitress advised the restaurant had split the group up. I refused to be separated as not all my guests new each other and it was unacceptable to do that. The issue was sorted eventually, and after I complained about this and 13 wet women dragging suitcases across the car park for a 3 hr late check in, they threw in some free wine and I was happy that sorted the issue.

The next morning we went for breakfast. No hash browns! Surely that's a breakfast staple these days! So disappointing! Not even an potato alternative on offer. You could however order different eggs, fish and vegetarian options, and there was a good continental selection including fresh juices and pastries.

Only other gripe here was when we went to breakfast, there was cheese on the seats that had been left from our cheese board dessert the evening before. Little details like this and proper serving equipment in the spa let the place down.

Still, food quality, spa quality, accommodation and facilities are amazing! I've already booked to go back one day after arriving home it was that good! I took one star off for the issues above. Those little things make quite a difference. Still highly recommended.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked a night stay with spa for myself and 2 daughters, it was a very special treat for us as I live abroad and wanted to spend some quality time together. On arrival we were taken to our room, had a quick change ready for our massage. This was quite nice actually. After we headed to the bar for a drink and sandwich, bar staff we very quick on asking how I was going to pay, even thou I mentioned it can be billed to our room. Once in the room, I rang for some ice and some soft drinks, charged 3.50 for a tray charge.

As the evening moved on the noise from the function room was so noisy, a wedding was being held and by midnight our room was vibrating, no sound protection at all. I called reception and was informed the music would be on till 1am. I did say why on earth would you place anyone with the wedding function and the reply was, " what do you want me to do" could not believe their response.

The room should of had 3 singe beds, it had 2 and a very small bed not suitable for an adult, and very uncomfortable. It was also noted that the table lamp was filthy with drink stains.

We were booked into the restaurant, was really looking forward to our meal in the so called award winning restaurant..... I'm sorry bout no way was this the case. I can cook better.

Breakfast seems abit lopsided, I waited that long for dried up scrambled eggs, I had finished my breakfast.

The duty restaurant manager was quite rude to other staff members, waving his hands about to tell them to clean certain tables.

Considering I paid 507 pounds for the night stay, it wasn't worth the money, we eventually went to sleep around 01.30 after the music stopped and then the partygoers noise on leaving.

On checkout I made my comments be known, a manager in the back office agree to discount our food bill from the day before, and gave the most dirty look at me....

Considering they hotel advertise 148 acres of grounds and peace and quiet, this is blatantly not true. No way was this relaxing in any way. Pure waste of money.

Very sad experience.

Room Tip: Keep away from room 112 and any others surrounding it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sindylouDubai
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Wasn't all that inthralled with room so asked to upgrade. Upgraded rooms came at a price and seemed to get more compact as the price got higher. ( no air con in rooms in the old house) eventually decided to stay put!.... No iron or ironing board in room, when we asked for one the iron came with half the plug hanging off even though it had been pat tested. Dinner was very good, however service over attentive with waitresses constantly filling up our glasses with water and refilling glasses with our wine. Breakfast extreme opposite waited and waited and waited for service before we had to stop someone to place our hot order, no pastries either. When we checked out they tried to charge for the upgraded room that we never took!... Can't comment on the spa, but the golf course good, greens slow even after the dry hot weather. Jury's out on whether we would return.

Stayed July 2014
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Set in rolling Warwickshire countryside, 5 mins in the car to Stratford town centre, this imposing and impressive hotel is just pure class!
The rooms are beautifully presented with excellent en-suite bathrooms and the added bonus of having Mac computers as well as wide screen tv's.
Although on the pricey side the restaurant has a varied and appetising menu and the meal I had was beautifully cooked from the freshest ingredients.
If golf is your thing then the course is excellent as is the spa and gym ( all attached to the hotel ).
All in all a stunning looking hotel and to think this was once somebodies house!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

we got married at the end of June 2014, the planning and attention to detail from our wedding planner Jess was brilliant and helped put is at ease, nothing we asked for was too much. On the big day there was a lovely welcome from the staff and throughout the day all the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, making us and our guests very welcome and relaxed. Our master of ceremonies for the day was exceptional, he helped the day flow naturally even though we were running late, and when we had an issue with some flowers we requested to be delivered as gifts he got it sorted out straight away. He was very professional and added some humour too which was nice to see. The venue itself is amazing, really worth going to see and i assure you once you see it you will want to get married here. the grounds are immaculate and there are many wonderful locations for pictures, the rooms we stayed in were beautiful too. The food for our wedding breakfast was lovely and the breakfast the following morning was just as good. If you can i would also check out the gym/spa facilities as they were the perfect way to end a wonderful weekend. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a venue, we will definitely stay at the hotel again in future

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple