“Let down by reception ”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
“Let down by reception ”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel for 2 nights as part of a golf break. Driving through the gates I was stunned by how impressive the hotel building is.As soon as we walked into the hotel I asked if I could check in early, it was early but the response of a flat no was said with some anger.Some of our party had travelled by train & asked if there was anywhere to store bags again we were refused.After 10 mins of discussions it was agreed that we could have 1 room to store bags.

Everything else was fantastic during our stay & many thanks to the two lovely ladies that looked after us whilst we were having dinner on both nights.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlexH198314

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the second time I'm staying here along with my husband (through work), the first time was several days. Both stays have rendered the same disappointment. In fact, each time we drive through the gates we find ourselves shaking our heads at the state of it.

My husband has stayed here several times on business. We have stayed in both the "newer" parts and older parts of the hotel.

The (outside) of the building and the grounds are wonderful, it is such a shame that Menzies have made such a terrible effort inside. Not only are the rooms dull, tired and designed with no homage to the building, they are always poorly cleaned, inappropriately heated (or cooled) for the season, and with really (really!) poor air quality that tends to give both of us a headache.

Just this morning I was working in the room whilst the attendant cleaned. He actually (!) "cleaned" the teacups, spoons and glasses in the HAND BASIN in the bathroom, before putting them back on the shelf! I was quite taken back.. Not very nice knowing that I just ate and drank from dishes that have been in random people's mouths without proper cleaning for God knows how long!

Each time we come here the reception staff have an attitude. I've only ever met one girl who was lovely in the reception. Normally we barely get a smile, and we have been "talked back to" more than once. The staff in the breakfast room are lovely, but struggle to understand English, and keep getting orders wrong. We giggle a bit at it, but truth be told, how hard is it to boil an egg in under 25 minutes? How hard is it to boil an egg all together in fact. This morning they fell out of the shell like soup, after a good 15 minute wait.

The only plus is that this time we got an alright bathroom, although it wasn't perfectly clean and the towel rack didn't work. But at least it was renovated to an alright standard.

I could go on for ever, because there are just too may episodes of inadequacy, but overall I think that it's a big shame that this beautiful old building is run by such a mediocre and low standard establishment. I suppose it depends what you expect, but with the prices they charge and this gorgeous location, it's just plain sad.

Room Tip: Stay in the "old" part of the hotel - Avoid the newer addition like the plague, it's t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IngvildKristine
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a great place to be, very nice staff and great old fashioned place with modern spa and pool.

The CD player is also classic, it was broken down in March and now, in August it still is!

So it' s Michael Double at breakfast, at lunch and Dinner...........

Please buy them a cd changer!

Room Tip: vraag om kamer met uitzicht op de tuin
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Bicester
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were looking for a hotel with a spa to have some decent relaxation together for our anniversary and on the whole the hotel ticked most of the boxes. The gym was very new, well equipped and spotless. The outdoor hydrotherapy pool was the best bit for us as it was a really hot weekend and it was perfect having an outdoor area even though it was quite small. The spa was really well designed and the pool a decent size and temperature. The spa area with its various hot and cold rooms including laconium, trepadarioum, steam and sauna, foot spas and hot tiled beds were ideal for unwinding. We also enjoyed a tasty champagne afternoon tea in our bathrobes which we felt was good value for money compared to others we have had. We both agreed the half hour massages we had in the twin treatment room were firm as we had requested and eased out the knots! The evening meal was really tasty although for me the menu was limited and I ended up having gnocchi as I am not a huge meat eater. The choices didn't appeal to me so I was disappointed at first that that was all I fancied on the menu. However, it was the tastiest gnocchi I have ever experienced and crunchy when it can be quite stodgy or slimey. The chef must have pan fried it after?! We both loved our main courses and the views from the dining room were spectacular and the service friendly. We paid for an upgrade as there were no standard rooms left and we had a huge room and bathroom which was spotless, with lovely scented products from The White Company. Would have expected bathrobes with an upgrade though.
Breakfast was a bit messy but they did have a wedding party in to be fair so we imagine it is not always like that (hence the noise from the disco night before). I would recommend ordering off the menu so it is cooked fresh for you unless you want the Full English from the buffet. Porridge was very good. Big selection. We would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzettefcastle
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Same for us! We couldn't sleep until one as the party below our suite was very noisy.
Breakfast was £58 for 2 adults and 2 children and was VERY basic.
We appreciate that they upgraded us to a lovely suite to have our children near us, but one of the loos had a blocked sink and toilet.
The restrictions with time for children using the pool could be extended during summer, I would suggest.
Would only go back if there is a great promotion with breakfast already included.
Great surrounds and views, pleasant staff and grant building.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Rassasse
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is an elegant hotel, set in its own golf course, with stunning views and excellent facilities. We were married at the hotel two years before and so this visit was 'memory lane'.

The bedroom was very good, although no safe, the bed comfortable and the bathroom was fine although very steamy. Dinner was excellent and amply justified the two AA rosettes. We chose a nice wine at a fair price, although bar drinks were expensive – lager at £6.50 for a pint - and the arrangements at the bar were poor, with little organisation, bar food arriving with no-one having any idea who it was for and so touting it around from room to room, and a very slow charge-to-room-system.

The spa facilities are excellent with the exception of a group of ladies – probably a hen party – on Saturday morning leaving towels and robes on all the equipment at the jacuzzi end of the pool and on some recliners in order to “reserve” them. This was not fair to other users and should have been stopped.

The low point was breakfast which was as bad as I have had anywhere. Breakfast service finishes at 10.30 and we were there at 10.00. Mostly the cold buffet area was ok except things were starting to run out and were never replenished. Worse was the incorrectly-named hot buffet. The plates came out of the dispenser, which should heat them, stone cold. We made a selection except there were no eggs and we waited in a queue of five people. We told a waiter, and he went to the kitchen and came back with baked beans. We told him again and he went to the kitchen and came back with mushrooms. We told him again and he came back with fried eggs. When we got back to the table the eggs were clearly undercooked and everything else was stone cold – not tepid – stone cold. I suspect the food had been on inadequate heaters and was not monitored and the matter was aggravated by the wait for eggs. We were not offered tea or coffee – we had to find someone and ask. It arrived while we were at the buffet but there was no milk – we had to find someone and ask. We were not offered toast – we had to find someone and ask.

At reception as we were leaving, the young lady took my payment but there was no “Did you enjoy your stay” or “Was everything to your satisfaction” or “Have a safe journey” or “We hope to see you again” or even “Goodbye”. Nothing.

Not all the staff are sufficiently trained, and this was the same when we were married. This cannot be a really good hotel until everyone knows the meaning of customer service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pm46
Gillingham, Kent
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I write this review laying in the bed of room 105 the dingle suite, my girlfriend and I have booked for three nights at this hotel.

Firstly the positives, the hotel looks great, the suite is spacious and really nice, we even have an apple mac! The pool and spa are lovely and the food is very nice, although buffet breakfast in a hotel costing us nearly £600 in my opinion is lazy. Overall a really nice place to stay...however...

The cons!! The hotels entire priority is catering for weddings that they allow to party until one am with no constraints on volume levels. If you are happy being forced to stay awake until one am by thumping music or fireworks this is the hotel for you!!

We were looking for a lovely relaxing time and to catch up on sleep, no chance of that, I recommend ear plugs to anyone coming here, even if you are in the so called quiet area as we are supposed to be.

What should have been a brilliant trip for me ruined by a complete lack of sleep.

• Stayed August 2014