“Amazing stay!”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Brilliant trip from start to finish! Friendly reception staff, lovely lounge area and beautiful grounds! To top it off we received a complimentary upgrade which made our visit even more special! Thanks Laura - would highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We pulled into the grounds of the Menzies, got out of the car and i have to say we were disappointed....... Only because my darling husband had looked up the wrong place, entered the postcode in the sat nav and we ended up at the most beautiful hotel, cant remember the name of it now, in Cheltenham. Got out of the car and we were greeted by a lovely young man, he took our bags to reception whilst we checked in. As we got back in the car and drove away, slightly red-faced, we hoped our 'real hotel' would be just as lovely and it was; apart from having to wheel in my own luggage.
Check in was pleasant and pretty quick - room was lovely - good shower - plenty of tea and coffee supplies, important to me as i like a brew when i get up, however i always kick myself for not taking a few Yorkshire bags with me.
Grounds - were lovely, not huge but nice to look at and have a wee walk round.
Golf course - not a golfer myself and as we were there for romance, neither was my husband! Nice to look at though.
Wine was good, hubby says beer wasn't great and priced as you'd expect - EXPENSIVE.
Food - We didn't do breakfast and only had a burger in the bar on our second night - it was tasty and was full after it. Thought to myself I had better nip to the ladies to check for food round my mouth before retiring to the terrace for a tipple or 2. Husband patiently waiting, i made my way from the ladies back to him. On-route i was attacked by a door, we wrestled and i ended up on the floor - full force on my wee bum. Bed was comfy that night.
Stratford-upon-Avon itself is a delightful place. Plenty to do and see - we strolled along the river, well not on it; played some crazy golf - a draw which we were both pleased with - nobody with a face on that way. Finally we sat in the park and enjoyed a bit of people watching in the sunshine. Great trip and thoroughly enjoyed my time there - def worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lea W
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I visited the hotel for 2 nights as part of a golf break. Driving through the gates I was stunned by how impressive the hotel building is.As soon as we walked into the hotel I asked if I could check in early, it was early but the response of a flat no was said with some anger.Some of our party had travelled by train & asked if there was anywhere to store bags again we were refused.After 10 mins of discussions it was agreed that we could have 1 room to store bags.

Everything else was fantastic during our stay & many thanks to the two lovely ladies that looked after us whilst we were having dinner on both nights.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AlexH198314
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is the second time I'm staying here along with my husband (through work), the first time was several days. Both stays have rendered the same disappointment. In fact, each time we drive through the gates we find ourselves shaking our heads at the state of it.

My husband has stayed here several times on business. We have stayed in both the "newer" parts and older parts of the hotel.

The (outside) of the building and the grounds are wonderful, it is such a shame that Menzies have made such a terrible effort inside. Not only are the rooms dull, tired and designed with no homage to the building, they are always poorly cleaned, inappropriately heated (or cooled) for the season, and with really (really!) poor air quality that tends to give both of us a headache.

Just this morning I was working in the room whilst the attendant cleaned. He actually (!) "cleaned" the teacups, spoons and glasses in the HAND BASIN in the bathroom, before putting them back on the shelf! I was quite taken back.. Not very nice knowing that I just ate and drank from dishes that have been in random people's mouths without proper cleaning for God knows how long!

Each time we come here the reception staff have an attitude. I've only ever met one girl who was lovely in the reception. Normally we barely get a smile, and we have been "talked back to" more than once. The staff in the breakfast room are lovely, but struggle to understand English, and keep getting orders wrong. We giggle a bit at it, but truth be told, how hard is it to boil an egg in under 25 minutes? How hard is it to boil an egg all together in fact. This morning they fell out of the shell like soup, after a good 15 minute wait.

The only plus is that this time we got an alright bathroom, although it wasn't perfectly clean and the towel rack didn't work. But at least it was renovated to an alright standard.

I could go on for ever, because there are just too may episodes of inadequacy, but overall I think that it's a big shame that this beautiful old building is run by such a mediocre and low standard establishment. I suppose it depends what you expect, but with the prices they charge and this gorgeous location, it's just plain sad.

Room Tip: Stay in the "old" part of the hotel - Avoid the newer addition like the plague, it's t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IngvildKristine
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a great place to be, very nice staff and great old fashioned place with modern spa and pool.

The CD player is also classic, it was broken down in March and now, in August it still is!

So it' s Michael Double at breakfast, at lunch and Dinner...........

Please buy them a cd changer!

Room Tip: vraag om kamer met uitzicht op de tuin
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were looking for a hotel with a spa to have some decent relaxation together for our anniversary and on the whole the hotel ticked most of the boxes. The gym was very new, well equipped and spotless. The outdoor hydrotherapy pool was the best bit for us as it was a really hot weekend and it was perfect having an outdoor area even though it was quite small. The spa was really well designed and the pool a decent size and temperature. The spa area with its various hot and cold rooms including laconium, trepadarioum, steam and sauna, foot spas and hot tiled beds were ideal for unwinding. We also enjoyed a tasty champagne afternoon tea in our bathrobes which we felt was good value for money compared to others we have had. We both agreed the half hour massages we had in the twin treatment room were firm as we had requested and eased out the knots! The evening meal was really tasty although for me the menu was limited and I ended up having gnocchi as I am not a huge meat eater. The choices didn't appeal to me so I was disappointed at first that that was all I fancied on the menu. However, it was the tastiest gnocchi I have ever experienced and crunchy when it can be quite stodgy or slimey. The chef must have pan fried it after?! We both loved our main courses and the views from the dining room were spectacular and the service friendly. We paid for an upgrade as there were no standard rooms left and we had a huge room and bathroom which was spotless, with lovely scented products from The White Company. Would have expected bathrobes with an upgrade though.
Breakfast was a bit messy but they did have a wedding party in to be fair so we imagine it is not always like that (hence the noise from the disco night before). I would recommend ordering off the menu so it is cooked fresh for you unless you want the Full English from the buffet. Porridge was very good. Big selection. We would definitely recommend and return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzettefcastle
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Same for us! We couldn't sleep until one as the party below our suite was very noisy.
Breakfast was £58 for 2 adults and 2 children and was VERY basic.
We appreciate that they upgraded us to a lovely suite to have our children near us, but one of the loos had a blocked sink and toilet.
The restrictions with time for children using the pool could be extended during summer, I would suggest.
Would only go back if there is a great promotion with breakfast already included.
Great surrounds and views, pleasant staff and grant building.

Stayed: August 2014