“Wow Factor”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Oxford
“Wow Factor”
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Me and my Partner stayed at this Hotel over the May Bank Holiday weekend and have to say the service and attention to detail we recieved was outstanding.
Making the reservation was made easier by a helpful reservationist who not only explained the difference in room type but went out of her way to book a dinner resevation, Spa treatment and even a Taxi in Stratford town centre, which incidently is only 5 mins down the road, however this Hotel has the feel of being in the countryside,with its glorious golf course and beautiful well kept gardens.
Upon arrival, we drove up the scenic road, very careful not to hit the squirrels! (The Hotel has signs regarding this, lovely touch!) suddenly when the Hotel came into view, we realised we were in for a treat this weekend. The porter - although I cannot remember his name, was extremely efficient and helpful throughout our stay, he has clearly been at the Hotel for a years as he has many stories to tell! He greeted us at the door and helped us with the luggage to our room. The Reception team were friendly and again explained all the facilites that the Hotel has to offer reiterating everything the Reservationist had previously advised us.
Once checked in, we found our room to be very spacious with exhilarating views of the golf course and gardens, there is even a waterfall in the distance and a fountain - perfect setting for a Wedding.
We wandered to the Spa for our treatments - again all the staff were friendly and professional. The Spa is breath taking with a fully state of the art gym, level decked swimming pool, and a heated pool that is inside but with no roof! Amazing.
The best part of the weekend had to be the food, we had an excellent meal both nights and I can definitley see why the Restaurant has 2 AA Rosettes.
We will recommend this friendly Hotel and look forward to going back very soon.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
London england
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I booked this room on a Friday morning for Sunday arrival. I was quoted a reduced rate for an executive room on HB basis. When we arrived, our reduced rate was not noted, although I was told that it was on their computer system and that was what we would be charged. At the time of booking, I also made a reservation for dinner. When we arrived, we found out that no booking for dinner had been made and that the time that we wanted was not available. They subsequently were able to seat us half an hour later. The room was very nice, had a lovely view over the gardens. What a shame that the bathroom was not as nice. The hot water tap hardly worked and the shower was over the bath, not walk in. There were hardly any lights in the room, apart from bedside lamps. We noticed that light bulbs had gone in the chandelier in the dining room - something that should be fixed very easily. Dinner was alright, although we also found it hard to find anything for £30, and the halibut was definitely not worth £23!! Selection of sorbet for dessert was £8!! They had a wedding on and the noise carried on till 1 am, keeping my husband awake. Breakfast was alright - was surprised to not see any cheese out though. On check out, what a surprise! We were charged the original price for the room. It was immediately put right. People in front of me who were also checking out also complained about the noise of the wedding and another couple said that they had also had a few hiccups. If you are looking for a hotel near to Stratford and with large grounds, this is the hotel for you. If you are looking for a hotel with class - forget it!

Berkshire
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Wow, what can I say. We were fortunate to stay in the Ann Hathaway suite. What a fantastic place. Very peaceful, absolutely gorgeous surroundings, completely stunning, staff couldn't be nicer, extremely helpful and continued to make sure everything was to our satisfaction during our stay.
Did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food, but I'm sure it would have been top class.
Cannot wait for another opportunity to go there again!

Oxford
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The hotel is lovely and the views are amazing ! We had a lovely room with a separate lounge - I love the walkin showers that you don't get in modern hotels. The food and service were very good , bar prices are more expensive than most but when you have a drink on their terrace looking out over the gardens and the golf course it is worth it.
We had a great 2 nights - thoroughly relaxing - saving up to go again as my wife says its the best Spa she's ever been to.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 April 2009

The setting of the hotel is fabulous. Grounds beautifully kept. Our room was fabulous and very clean. A few maintenance issues (3 bulbs blown) let it down. The Spa is fabulous and well worth a visit.
We had a drink in the first night in the bar before we went through for dinner. Dinner was gorgeous. The service here was the best in the hotel. When we went through for a coffee in the lounge after dinner it was disatrous. The tables hadn't been cleared since we had gone through to the dining room (2 hours previous) and our glasses were still on one of the tables. They were still there when I went to bed after 5 hours! I had a cappachino which was excellent. The Ameretto was either off or Cointreau had been mixed into it. When I mentioned this the barman told me 'If its off don't drink it!). Breakfast wasn't great either. The food was very cold. Mainly due to the dishes they were served in as they had to be kept closed to keep the food warm and the other guests had left them open. I ordered porridge as the buffet was cold and after 30mins it still hadn't arrived. The fresh fruit were not replenished or the other cold buffet items and the breakfast still had 30 mins until it finished. Breakfast the second morning was better. We were down just after it started and the cold buffet was full, porridge arrived swiftly although the hot items were cold again.

I would go back to the hotel again, just don't pay extra for breakfast unless you are there when they open.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OonaghGlasgow
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2009

This was my second stay in this hotel. During my first stay here I was given an executive room in the main house which was very pleasant, four poster and double bathroom etc. My second stay I was in a much smaller room, still in the main house (room 201 I think) but not a patch on the other room. I found it was damp in places and really not up to standard. The service in this hotel has been OK each time. The restaurant serves good quality food but is fairly expensive. They have an extensive wine list but not many options for a cheaper bottle! Overall, I think the hotel setting and character makes it a nice place to visit but try to get the evening meal and breakfast included in the rate and make sure you book an exec room!

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank FT4Real
Leicester, UK
Reviewed 14 April 2009

This is the third time in less than a year I have stayed at this hotel for a Sunday to Monday golf break. The hotel is wonderful and golf course is great, hence our repeat visits. We got a deal of £108 pp dbb and two rounds of golf. On this occasion, however I was shocked by the distinct increase in bar prices and evening meal prices. We were allowed up to £30 pp for the meal - the cheapest starter was from £6.50 - £12.00 and the main meals ranged from £17.00 - £28 for steak/lamb dish, the sweets were £7.00 - £10.00. It certainly wasn't easy to choose a meal within £30!!! This was not the situation on my previous visits. The food itself is extremely well presented and tasty and the chef must be complimented on this.
A large glass of wine in the bar cost £6.50, yet the same in the restaurant was £8.50 a glass!!!!! How do they work that one out??
The main problem we encountered was not necessarily the poor service, as others have commented on, but that you have to check your bill very carefully when you check out. We were charged an extra £16.00 for drinks that we hadn't had (somehow several vodka and cokes had got on to our bill - and we are not vodka drinkers!!) and our evening meal excess was £21.50 and should have only been £11.50!!!
I must say in support of the reception staff, that they did not argue and immediately deducted the amounts from our bill. However, as we stood checking out - we could hear other guests having the same problem with overcharging! I don't know whether there is some sort of scam going on here, but this does seem to happen pretty regularly and we also experienced it on our other visits.
It is such a shame as this is one of the loveliest golf venues I have ever stayed at but am really thinking twice about stopping here again unless a) the prices are reduced to a more realistic level and b) they sort out the problem with overcharging.
It would be really nice to have a response from the management to these comments as I have noted happens with some other hotel guest comments on trip advisor.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple