“Total luxury retreat”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Warwick
“Total luxury retreat”
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Hotels don't come much better than this. We wanted for nothing. We now regularly stay even though we live within ten miles of this grand place. We struggle to believe that we can have such luxury and service at such a reasonable rate.
Service starts with a friendly greeting at the door and never stops. The Spa is second to none. The Golf course is World class.
The food is always wonderful and the service prompt and efficient.
The perfect place to chill, unwind and relax with a drink in front of the roaring fire.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
london
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We visited the Menzies Welcombe last Saturday, there were 8 of us who travelled up to play golf, have a nice dinner and enjoy a few drinks in the lovely town of Warwick and i can say we werent disappointed...great golf course, great hotel, with very friendly and attentive staff. the food was excellent and the wine was alos pretty good. we popped into Warwick after dinner for a few drinks and had a great time. We will defintely be returning soon!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed for 2 nights and had a wonderfull time. Both food and the staff we superb. The only let down was the bed room but that was not a realy big issue.
We arrived mid morning and although our bedroom was not ready we were made to feel very welcome. We walked into Stratford to colect our theatre tickets, which was a very nice 20 minute strole.
After getting back our room was ready and the lady behind reception asked if we would be joining them for dinner. We explained that we would be going to the theatre and that the restaurant would not be open in time.
After getting to our room we had a call from the the lady in reception saying that she had spoken to the restaurant and they would be able to open early for us. We booked in at six.
Spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing on the terrace.
We arrived at the restauant and had 2 courses before going to the theatre. When we came back we had our pudding and coffee in the lounge, which was very nice.
Breakfast next day was a real treat and with a great choice. The staff were very good and attentive. espeacaily nice to sit and have breakfast overlooking the wonderfull gardens.
Although we had only booked in for one night we decided to stay a second which was realy nice and relaxing. We had time to relax in the spa which is out of this world and dinner in the evening was great again.
All in all we had a great time, very will re book as soon as we can.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ceasar09
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My partner and I were offered a break from our children last week from the grandparents so we decided to book a last minute deal the weekend just gone (bank holiday). We struggled all week to find something coastal (our first choice) most things left being grotty 2* at ridiculous prices or 5* luxury at even more ridiculous prices! We wanted to book 2 nights (Sat and Sun) and at 5pm Friday I was struggling to find somewhere. We decided to give up on a coastal break and decided to try the Menzies Welcome Hotel at Stratford upon Avon. I was offered either a standard double attic room at £125 per night b&b (the only room left I think the receptionist was trying to subtely tell me it was not a great room with no view (being the last room left I assume it would be their poorest). She then mentioned that an spa apartment was free for only £25 extra per night. We decieded to go for that option.

Well, what can I say! We turned up to a luxury 2 bedroom spa apartment that was beautiful, modern, clean and obviously made to a very high spec! For only £25 extra per night! (I bartered and knocked them down to an extra £15 per night - accepted I guess because we rang around 6pm the night before and they were not likely to book it that late). We were over the moon! Each apartment has its own name (we stayed in Ursula) with a kitchen/diner/lounge area, good size entrance hallway with spiral staircase, 2 large double bedrooms upstairs, both with flat screen tv, a large landing and a bathroom plus ensuite to main double room.

Please make sure if you book you ask about the apartments! A member of staff told me that they were originally built as luxury spa timeshare apartments (hence being built as high spec) but not many people purchased so they have had to use them as hotel accomodation.

Only thing we were disappointed about is that this was the first weekend my partner and I had away from our children so we booked an 8.30pm meal in the restaurant (there is a 7.30pm cut off time for children eating) but we were very disappointed that a large family were in the bar letting their children run around, climb over furniture, knock things over and make a lot of noise! Shame their parents hadn't brought them up better or the staff didn't think about asking the parents to keep the kids quiet! Also, they were taken into the restaurant at 8.30pm so our quiet meal ended up being amongst loud children who we had been told would not be allowed in at that time! We also asked for a window seat when we booked and were told that that was fine as nobody else had booked one yet but we didn't get one on the night event though we were told we were the first to ask for one!

But I couldn't recommend the evening meal, it was stunning! Breakfast could be better, running scrambled egg and the sausages tasted a bit cheap but all the staff we encountered were friendly, helpul and lovely. Maybe they've got rid of some since the other remarks on this page!

We will be going back again soon :-)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
leicester
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Our stay with you on Saturday 18th - Sunday 19th July 2009. Had booked a mother and daughters spa weekend break away from it all,and what a waste and very dissapointed we all were..
Upon arrival we were told that no rooms were available for us to check in to which was fine so the lady at reception stored our bags and directed us to the SPA where we began our weekend, when booking with spa breaks we were told that bathrobes and slippers would be given to us however when we got to the Spa we were advised that bathrobes are given given to guests who are receiving a treatment therefore we were told we could not have any however there were other guest who then came in and were given robes and were not receiving any treatments on the Saturday. At about 1.00 asked a member of SPA staff (male) if we can order food at the SPA or would we have to go to the main hotel he advised that we can order food with him and have it in SPA area we ordered our meals and hot drinks we eventually got our food at about 2.45pm which is 1hr 45 mins later our drinks also came at the same time they were being prepared and were left on the side for about 20 minutes before they were served to us and by the time we got them they were luke warm at this point we were hungry and thirsty so never said anything and had the food our apology from your staff for the delay was because the order was for 8 sandwiches the kitchen took longer to make them (to me this is not acceptable that the kitchen could not handle the order). We were then told to throw the slipper away as we will get fresh ones the following day.
Following on from this we then went to check in at 4.00pm I had pre booked dinner for our party at 7.30pm and this was also confirmed back to me by Melissa at Spabreaks however I was told at check in that that we did not have a dinner reservation booked and then only time we could eat was 9.00pm considering we had a late lunch due to the delayed service we accepted it. We were checked in by a male employee he said here are your key and your room numbers and that was it. I had to ask firstly how to get to the rooms, I then had to ask about hotel restaurant for breakfast times and dinner as we were not advised of any of this.
We then went down to the restaurant for dinner at 9.00pm our table was set and once we got to the table the waiter Adam did not come to take our food or drinks order until 9.30pm we had ordered two salmon, 1 lamb and 5 chicken main courses after about 15 minutes of taking our order Adam then came back to say there was no Salmon left so we order two more chicken. We eventually got our food at 10.45pm with no apology throughout our waiting time we wanted to order another bottle of wine we tried to get the attention of any waiter but we were ignored so we left it I then had to ask the waiter for bread as we were not offered and basically throughout our dining experience we were ignored by all the restaurant staff however the waiters had gone to the tables around us about 3 - 4 times to ask if they were ok and if there meal was ok. Once we got our main course at 10.45pm the chicken was not cooked it was cold and the vegetables were just as bad, none of us finished the meals as they were not cooked and to me these meals were just rushed and un prepared. I then asked the waiter for a dessert menu which again took about 30minutes to come to us with the menu we then ordered dessert and asked for tea to be served with the dessert as the service was so slow we just wanted it together by this time it was already 11.30pm we got desserts and there was no sign of tea anywhere again we tried to get the attention of a waiter but nothing yet again we were ignored I then had to get up and ask where the tea was I was then tutted at by the waiter who then just walked away from me he eventually sent someone else over with the tea it was after 12.15am before we left the restaurant.
On Sunday morning we asked for the bill to be charged to one room as we wanted to share it 8 ways equally upon departure the receptionist said that is fine and gave me an invoice of the final total to take away with me. We then went through to the SPA at 10.00am as we had treatments booked from 11.30am at SPA reception I asked for the bathrobes and slippers I was then told that the SPA do not provide bathrobes as they are only kept in the hotel therefore I was told I had to go to the hotel and get them!!!! He then said they had no slippers and again I would have to go to the hotel to get then.... I bit my tongue at this point and my cousin then asked if they can them for us as we were told the day before they will be provided. He eventually got us the bathrobes and then said that these should have been put in our rooms as part of our SPA package again this was not the case as if we would have had them in the first place we would not be asking for them.
We finally got to our departure and check out at 2.00pm we were then told by reception staff that our final bill was incorrect as you included the wine within our dinner allowance and it had to be paid for which again delayed the check out process as we had to recalculate the bill and settle the account. We were sat in the reception area from 2.00pm - 3.30pm we wanted to order drinks but yet again not one member of your staff acknowledged us and came to ask if we wanted a drink they went to all the tables around us but did not come near us or look at us by this point we just wanted to leave so didn't order.
For a 4 star hotel the standard of service we received throughout our stay was disgusting can your hotel not cope with a group of 8 people we were willing to spend money with you but we were treated like invisible people it not as if your can miss a group of 8 people its it?
OVERALL THE RESTAURANT STAFF AND FOOD IS VERY POOR
OVERPRICED FOOD AND DRINKS
RECEPTION STAFF NOT HELPFUL
VERY DISSAPOINTED AND THE HOTEL CLEARLY CANNOT COPE WITH WEDDINGS AND LARGE GROUPS OF PEOPLE.

Until this day we ae still awaiting a response from the hotel manager Greg, as we were all disappointed and the manager still has not replied back to us via email or a letter offering an apology.

I say take your mothers to a better hotel that caters for everyone and large group. Definately not a place of excellance or quality!!

Please stay at other hotels like the Hilton/Maririot or even others as they have a range of treatments and service with a smile unlike this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank chetz5
London
Reviewed 21 August 2009

A short break here is perfect. Spa is fantastic, Golf course out of this world and just a walk from Stratford centre. Loads to do around here, so perfect location. Hotel has character and charm with great gardens. Can't fault it and will definately be back. Book direct with the hotel for the best price.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I was disappointed with the standard to this hotel, as I had been looking forward to the stay for ages! We chose to stay here, as me and my partner had been away for the week visiting relatives, and thought we would treat ourselves to a relaxing spa day on the way home.
Once we arrived, we checked in OK, but were given a room right at the other end of the hotel, and I think this is where the older rooms must be situated, as ours was like something from the 80's. It has very old fashioned decor, and the bathroom was awful, really old lino on the floor, and old fashioned shower over a bath, and old looking sink.
Not at all what I expected.
The television was very old fashioned, along with the hairdryer in the bathroom.
However, we did have a lovely view of the gardens and the waterfall from our window.
We went to the bar for a drink, and the intention was to have it on the terrace area as it was a nice sunny day. However, there was a wedding on at the time, and when we went in the small bar area, we felt quite uncomfortable, as this was where the wedding party were sitting enjoying their drinks. As we were in our shorts and flip flops, the wedding party were wondering who we were and why we were sat with them! We ordered our drinks (very expensive-£6.50 for a glass of white wine!!!) and asked the barman if it was OK to be in there. The barman told us it would be better if we sat in another area round the corner! We decided to go outside, even though thats where the rest of the wedding party were, and were unable to get a seat out there, so deciding to walk round the gardens with our drinks instead. Once there, we were enjoying the view when I spotted a dead duckling floating in the main pond...and upon further inspection, we saw there were actually 4 floating in there!
We then had to move from the gardens, as we were getting in the way of the wedding photos.
We complained to reception about the ducklings, and they did act very quickly, and got somebody to take a look and remove them.
We went to the spa, which was lovely, nothing like the rooms we were staying in. It was really modern and had everything you needed. The outside pool was gorgeous in the sunshine!
In the evening, we got changed and headed out for a meal in Stratford. We ordered a taxi through reception, who were very helpful and sorted this for us. We had another drink in the bar as we were waiting, and again had to sit with the wedding party, as they had not started their evening celebrations yet!
We had a lovley evening in Stratford, lots of bars and restaurants to choose from, and would definatley go there again, but would stay somewhere else!
I think the hotels needs a lot of updating, our room was shabby and old fashioned, not at all what I expected from a 4* hotel.
Although it was nobodys fault, we felt very much like the hotel had been taken over by the wedding party, and we felt so uncomfortable being in the area's that they were in. I would have thought there would have been a seperate area or a different bar for a wedding party, it rather felt like normal hotel guests should keep themselves out of the way. Also, the hotel had quite a stuffy feel about it.
The spa here is lovely, and great for a day,but I would recommend staying in a local B&B.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple