“Very good hotel, with a fabulous spa”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
great britain
“Very good hotel, with a fabulous spa”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Had a one night stay at this hotel in July. We found this to be an excellent hotel and found all the staff very friendly and went out of their way to look after us.
The grounds are extensive with well maintained gardens and a lovely area to sit out and have coffee.
Our bedroom was large, clean and well stocked with tea/coffee facilities, if i had to find a fault our bathroom could have done with re-decorating. The spa area is excellent with both in and outdoor pools with great jets, two jacuzzis, fab foot spa, sauna , steam room etc, our favourite was the heated hot stone loungers.
The hotel is about 5 minutes away from the centre of Stratford by car.
There was a good selection at breakfast, although we would have preferred it freshly cooked and not out of the heated trays (not hot enough!)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2010

After booking a two night stay via Travelzoo at £100/night with meals and use of the Spa, myself and my girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As stated in previous reviews, the rooms (or a number of them) could certainly use some modernisation. Our room was much like a Premier Inn room, but thirty years older. However, we made use of the Spa facilities including nice changing rooms, a pool, an outdoor thermal pool with loads of fun pumps etc, a sauna, steam room, laconium and some others which pleasantly kills a few hours before dinner and leaves you feeling nicely invigorated. Following a quick change into evening clothes "formal trousers etc" (although as other reviewers have mentioned, i noticed many people in Jeans, but who cares?seriously.) we went to the restaurant and enjoyed a very nice three course dinner on both evenings (included in the package). After barely digesting dinner, we were again pleasantly surprised with a buffet breakfast "proper" sausages, bacon, streaky bacon, beans, fried egg on fried toast (nice touch), black pudding, tomatoes, scrambled egg and a range of cereals and juices. The works! Just what is needed for a pleasant day wandering around Stratford (5 min drive) and Warwick (15 min drive).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reading
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Hotel looks great , but staff let it down badly
Restaurant was awful , we waited 1 hour for soup ! - dinner took 2 1/2 hours :-(
Golf course was very poor - cost £ 50 per round , really not worth half of that !

Will NOT be going back again ever

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank pk69red
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Mr Kent - I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay , having checked the timings of you dinner I was surprised to find that you placed your order at 20.27 and paid your bill at 22.28 which is just 2 hours - I would have thought that for four people to enjoy a diiner together 2 hours would be about right . I know that Elizabeth did discuss the service with you and I am so sorry that both her concern and that of the Duty manager were not enough for you.
Whilst I know the fairways are slightly brown due to the lack of rain the irrigation has kept the tee's and the greens in perfect condition and we are consistantly getting praise for the course so I am also amazed at your comments regarding the course being poor.

I am sorry to learn you won't be back

Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I booked this Hotel using my Menzies reward points, so it didn't cost me anything. I was expecting to be put in a standard room, but was pleasantly surprised when i opened the room door. The room was huge and very very nice. There was a massive bed, three piece suite, satellite TV with sky sports, excellent Wi-Fi and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was just as nice. The views were beautiful, overlooking the gardens and the golf course. I asked reception, how much the room would cost me for a second night, and was quoted £250...Ouch.

Breakfast on Saturday was 7.30-10.0 AM. It was buffet style with everything you needed. Service was excellent.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The entry level rooms in the newer part of the hotel are in worse condition than the average holiday in and no way would I use this venue again if delegates were to be put in them. Rooms located in the old part of the hotel are far nicer and the ones I saw were very large.
The bar/restaurant/spa and golf all look great but the terrible service and manners of the staff lets the whole place down.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this review, 17 July 2010
I am sorry that you didn't like the standard hotel rooms - clearly there is a difference between these and the main house bedrooms . I was surprised to see your comments about service and staff manners which do concern me - especially when we have been getting a considerably number of complimentary letters recently - if you have the time I would like to hear from you to give me more detail on where we are being let down.
I do hope you return to The Welcombe when we will ensure we change your opinion.
Kind regards
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Very nice surroundings indeed. Lovely hotel and lovely decor. Food is nice but by no means is it as you would expect but lovely none the less. Were told there was a formal dress code in the roadster restaurant so had to go and buy formal trousers (no where does it say this in ANY publications) yet to my disappointment there were people eating in jeans and t shirts when we ate. We were told we may not be allowed in the restaurant without trousers on let alone sit down to eat . The spa in the hotel is amazing just what is needed after a hard life of work. All in all a very nice place just a shame that the rules seem to differ depending who is working !!! Oh and we booked s double room and got two single beds pushed together when we informed the desk nothing was done as if it was the norm.....

• Stayed July 2010
Thank you for your constructive comments - I am sorry about the confusion with the dress code and have had a management meeting today to discuss this issue and ensure it is always complied with. We do try to ensure this code is drwn to everyones attention and it does feature on most third party websites.
A number of our double rooms do have ' zip and link ' beds which can be separated to make a twin - it does actually give a larger double than normal - I am sorry if your bed was not correctly linked together.
Kind regards
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2010

First of all, the grounds are beautiful. However, the extravagance of our room was inversely proportionate to the beauty of the grounds. We were told we were booked for a suite for three, but the room was little more than a closet crammed with a double bed and a cot. I had to endure two nights on the cot. It had an inch-thick mattress and wooden slats. On top of this, the staff wouldn't let us eat in the restaurant because we were dressed too casually. And there was absolutely no one else in the restaurant. Nevertheless we were forced to eat in the bar where we were treated to a convention of what must have been the International Brotherhood of Morons, 30 or 40 people dressed as Space Rangers and Cowboys, shooting each other with water guns. On top of this, the food was bad. Some of this terrible experience must be blamed on our travel agent. We had asked for accommodations convenient to Stratford because we wanted to attend a performance of the Royal Shakespeare Company. The Welcombe is at least two miles out of town. On top of this the staff were jerks. I don't think I ever saw one of them smile or offer any sort of help at all.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank 60898David
I take great exception to my customers being called Morons and my staff jerks - I find it offensive and in poor taste - I have asked Tripadvisor to remove this review.
However in answer to the comments I can confirm that a standard room with an extra bed was booked - not a suite.
We do work hard to achieve a 2 AA Rosette standard in the restaurant and therefore do have a smart/casual dress code.
There was a group of professionals have a company fancy dress party in the hotel that evening.