“Nice hotel but poor service”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Hotel is stunning and the views even more so. Sitting in the bar with a nice bottle of wine looking out over the immaculate gardens was a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Reception service was not amazing. Upon checkin they had the wrong dates for my stay and "forgot" that I had already paid. Took a while for the receptionist to understand that we had prepaid but she got there in the end.

Breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Thank you for your review and I am glad you took the time to enjoy the gardens ( and the wine ! )
I do apologise for the poor service you experienced at reception , we have had a few staffing issues in this department which are now resolved.
Kind regards
Greg

Reviewed 12 August 2010

A gorgeous building and location near Stratford - the fomer manor house is not as old as it looks. Attended a family wedding which was super and the hotel looked after the prinicpals fine. I had intended a round of golf but there was a glitch rendering this impossible. When this was pointed out, the manager apologised and offered a complimentary round which I thought was fine.

Can't comment on the restaurant as we had the 'reception' food; views were a bit mixed but my boeuf en croute was fine. The breakfast was top class.

Seems a good place to stay if you fancy a bardathon with some country luxury.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Had a one night stay at this hotel in July. We found this to be an excellent hotel and found all the staff very friendly and went out of their way to look after us.
The grounds are extensive with well maintained gardens and a lovely area to sit out and have coffee.
Our bedroom was large, clean and well stocked with tea/coffee facilities, if i had to find a fault our bathroom could have done with re-decorating. The spa area is excellent with both in and outdoor pools with great jets, two jacuzzis, fab foot spa, sauna , steam room etc, our favourite was the heated hot stone loungers.
The hotel is about 5 minutes away from the centre of Stratford by car.
There was a good selection at breakfast, although we would have preferred it freshly cooked and not out of the heated trays (not hot enough!)

Reviewed 4 August 2010

After booking a two night stay via Travelzoo at £100/night with meals and use of the Spa, myself and my girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed our stay. As stated in previous reviews, the rooms (or a number of them) could certainly use some modernisation. Our room was much like a Premier Inn room, but thirty years older. However, we made use of the Spa facilities including nice changing rooms, a pool, an outdoor thermal pool with loads of fun pumps etc, a sauna, steam room, laconium and some others which pleasantly kills a few hours before dinner and leaves you feeling nicely invigorated. Following a quick change into evening clothes "formal trousers etc" (although as other reviewers have mentioned, i noticed many people in Jeans, but who cares?seriously.) we went to the restaurant and enjoyed a very nice three course dinner on both evenings (included in the package). After barely digesting dinner, we were again pleasantly surprised with a buffet breakfast "proper" sausages, bacon, streaky bacon, beans, fried egg on fried toast (nice touch), black pudding, tomatoes, scrambled egg and a range of cereals and juices. The works! Just what is needed for a pleasant day wandering around Stratford (5 min drive) and Warwick (15 min drive).

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Hotel looks great , but staff let it down badly
Restaurant was awful , we waited 1 hour for soup ! - dinner took 2 1/2 hours :-(
Golf course was very poor - cost £ 50 per round , really not worth half of that !

Will NOT be going back again ever

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank pk69red
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2010

Mr Kent - I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay , having checked the timings of you dinner I was surprised to find that you placed your order at 20.27 and paid your bill at 22.28 which is just 2 hours - I would have thought that for four people to enjoy a diiner together 2 hours would be about right . I know that Elizabeth did discuss the service with you and I am so sorry that both her concern and that of the Duty manager were not enough for you.
Whilst I know the fairways are slightly brown due to the lack of rain the irrigation has kept the tee's and the greens in perfect condition and we are consistantly getting praise for the course so I am also amazed at your comments regarding the course being poor.

I am sorry to learn you won't be back

Greg Fehler

Reviewed 1 August 2010

I booked this Hotel using my Menzies reward points, so it didn't cost me anything. I was expecting to be put in a standard room, but was pleasantly surprised when i opened the room door. The room was huge and very very nice. There was a massive bed, three piece suite, satellite TV with sky sports, excellent Wi-Fi and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was just as nice. The views were beautiful, overlooking the gardens and the golf course. I asked reception, how much the room would cost me for a second night, and was quoted £250...Ouch.

Breakfast on Saturday was 7.30-10.0 AM. It was buffet style with everything you needed. Service was excellent.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Reviewed 14 July 2010

The entry level rooms in the newer part of the hotel are in worse condition than the average holiday in and no way would I use this venue again if delegates were to be put in them. Rooms located in the old part of the hotel are far nicer and the ones I saw were very large.
The bar/restaurant/spa and golf all look great but the terrible service and manners of the staff lets the whole place down.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2010

I am sorry that you didn't like the standard hotel rooms - clearly there is a difference between these and the main house bedrooms . I was surprised to see your comments about service and staff manners which do concern me - especially when we have been getting a considerably number of complimentary letters recently - if you have the time I would like to hear from you to give me more detail on where we are being let down.
I do hope you return to The Welcombe when we will ensure we change your opinion.
Kind regards