“Beautiful hotel, fantastic spa!”

Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Just returned from 3 days at this hotel with my husband and 15 year old daughter. The main hotel itself is lovely and comfortable, with oak panelling in the main rooms and a huge fire in the lounge. Breakfast in the beautiful dining room was buffet style with lots of choice. We had dinner in the hotel each night, which was always beautifully presented and very good, as well as being plentiful. The hotel spa is fabulous, with a large indoor swimming pool, a great heated outdoor section, with jacuzzis, steam room, sauna, etc. The gym was well equipped with television scrrens on the individual machines showing Sky Sports. A covered walkway from the hotel into the Spa would have been a bonus. The gardens and grounds are lovely with formal gardens and a large golf course. I have read some negative reviews of the standard rooms and I sort of know what they mean - they are in a separate newer wing of the hotel and though comfortable, the bathrooms are small and they lack the character of the main house, the bedrooms of which look lovely. If I stayed again I would definitely upgrade. However, saying that, we felt we had good value for money. Staff were all friendly and helpful. A special mention to the staff in the dining room who were very pleasant and attentive and also to the concierge who was always welcoming.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

Thank you very much for your complementary review , I am really glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Beacause both the hotel and the Spa buildings are listed we cannot construct any covered walkway between the 2 buildings - but if this was the only negative then clearly it was worth the few steps to the Spa.
I will pass on your comments to my team - thank you
We all look forward to welcoming you back
Greg Fehler

Write a ReviewReviews (2,153)

Reviewed 16 October 2010

Stayed here just one night but thought it was a beautiful hotel. Great value and the spa looked fantastic, but was unable to use it. Breakfast was OK -- not all that great given the hotel. Great location for visiting Statford -- just a short walk into town. Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your great review, sorry you didn't have time to use the Spa ..............maybe next time.

Reviewed 1 October 2010

My husband and I booked a 2 night stay last year as a final romantic get away before the arrival of our first baby in the December. Unfortunatey, the night before our proposed stay my husband dislocated his knee and sprained his ankle. I was also suffering with sciatica in the final weeks of pregnancy. I rang the hotel in a panic, thinking that we would have to cancel and lose all our money since neither of us could walk well at all. The staff were great and as there was no lift, transfered us to a ground floor room close to reception. When we arrived they helped us with bags to our room and organised a disabled taxi to collect us so that we could go out for a meal.
The room was lovely, and the breakfasts were just gorgeous! We enjoyed the pool at the spa but the steam room and foot spas were out of action, which was a little disappointing.
We were disappointed to have gone to such a glorious hotel in such a beautiful setting and to be confined to our room by our inability to move!
Because of this we have booked to go again this coming November as our first break away from our baby daughter. This time we hope to be able to enjoy the gardens and grounds much more, I will be celebrating with bubbly!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments and I trust all is well with your baby daughter . I am so glad my team were of assistance to you both and that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologise for the fact that the foot spas and the staem room were temporarily out of order - this was only for a few days but I am sorry you were dissappointed.
We look forward to welcoming you back for a more romantic break !

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Location superb, Spa excellent, and a lovely feeling and style to the bars and lounges, albeit dated.

Staff and service very mixed. The key staff seemed to know what they were doing but a number were inexperienced with no appreciation of the levels of service expected at a hotel in this price bracket. Some of the younger inexperienced staff were lovely, and trying very hard, but let down by those responsible for training.

The concierge staff on duty during our stay are worthy of special praise – they were excellent.

Our Executive Room was large and clean. The bed was comfortable despite the groans from the springs. The furnishings fell below our expectations in a room charged at £205 per night being old and mismatched both in style and colour, with an ancient TV.

A towelling robe and slippers should be standard, especially if guests are using the spa (even though there is no internal access from the hotel).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind and constructive comments - we did indeed have a few new members of staff in September and I can assure they are now fully trained. I will of course pass on you compliments to the rest of the team and the concierge staff.
I do appreciatte your comments regarding the furnishings and we do hope to refurbish some rooms in the new year.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

Myself and my husband hired the Welcombe Suite for our wedding reception after our church ceremony. Martina the events co-ordinator was fantastic as was Drew the toast master on the day. The gardens looked beautiful, the food was delicious...everything ran like clockwork. We stayed in one of the suites which had a four poster bed and was huge! It is a typical English hotel that makes you feel like you are in an old manor house. I can see though that if you are not part of a wedding party why you may not like the bar being taken over by guests etc. I think that some of the reviews of this hotel are a bit too negative. I agree that in some ways it is not as luxurious as other four/five star hotels..little things like no bath robes or flat screen tv's but really you are paying for the atmosphere and surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
welgf, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2010

Thank you for your review and I am really happy that you had such a good wedding day - as you rightly state we are a country house hotel and would hate to modernise the facilities too much but do try to keep the traditional ' manor house ' feel.
Look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary ?

Reviewed 18 September 2010

I was a bit nervous about going to the Welcombe because of the poor service reviews and corresponding crotchety responses from the manager. And yes, the first coffee we ordered took nearly an hour to arrive, but the staff were very, very helpful; the location is beautiful; private dining room and all food we had was fab. The spa was great, although children allowed in the pool at times (a shame on our child-free-recharge-the-batteries-weekend); therapists all friendly; facial brilliant; manicure and pedicure just average. Spa 'appartments' fantastic; roomy, clean, stylish. I didn't meet the manager, but I did ask some staff what he was like; much to my surprise (given his crabby remarks on TripAdvisor!) they all said he was lovely; very kind and never got cross! I recommend the walk across the fields to Stratford and clambering up the hill for fab views from the obelisk.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review - sorry that you were disturbed by children in the pool ( we do keep their swim times limited ) but I am glad that you enjoyed the Spa and the treatments.
I am really sorry if my responses come across as crabby - I will try harder !
Thanks again for your feedback

Reviewed 12 September 2010

Recent 2 night stop was Superb in every way . Service from friendly Staff in Every Department as top marks.
Food again what can you add to Superb.
Room was Very Well maintained clean bright , was cleaned
daily . Nothing was to much Trouble all the staff so helpful
If you use this Hotel you are getting the best there is .
TAXI that helped us DIAMOND TAXI 07781580715 Superb.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind comments - I will pass this on to my team
Look forward to welcoming you back