“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, would highly recommend it”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hull
“Lovely hotel, friendly staff, would highly recommend it”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Alveston for our first visit to Stratford Upon Avon with our 2 young children. We are always concerned how children will be received at nice hotels (they are very well behaved) but had no worries, the staff were wonderful with the children and the porter (think he might have been more than that!) even remembered my daughters name. They were very welcoming and the staff provided a consistently friendly and efficient service. The room (42) was ideal - a good size for a family and with its own fridge which was very convenient for storing the milk! The breakfast was very nice and we made full use of the swimming pool and facilities which were excellent - there were even flotation aides which was ideal for the children. It was ideally located - a few minutes walk and you were by the river or the town although it was busy directly outside the hotel with traffic which was a bit hairy with a pram crossing the first road! My daughter particularly liked the garden which had ample hiding places for hide and seek and was very well maintained! We also ordered a picnic to have on the river - whilst not cheap it was ideal and convenient and was prepared at short notice so ideal for us. My only gripe was the fact you had to pay for internet access and there was a block in the hotel which prevented us from even using our own WiFi service on our mobile phones - probably not ideal for business users! My daughter enjoyed it so much she didnt want to leave and I tended to agree with her!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
I was so very happy that Andy, our Concierge, was able to look after you and your family during your recent stay. It is good to receive such positive feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Stratford in the future.
Steve Quick, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Plymouth, Devon, UK
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here for a three day mini break and I just dont recognise this hotel from the poor review below is it really the same hotel we stayed in ? I dont believe it. All the hotel staff from the front reception desk to the restaurant staff and cleaners were efficient and courteous. We were staying in the Classic rooms which are in the hotel extension at the back of the main building . The room was very clean if a little dated, bed very comfortable and all facillities working and in good order. We had a wonderful meal in the restaurant my husbands Scottish steak one of the best he has tasted in a long, long time tender and perfectly cooked ,my pork dish was lovely all helped by the friendliness and efficiency of the staff . Breakfasts were very good too ,you can chose the makeup of your 'Full English' made up to your exact requirements including poached or scrambled eggs and not once did we get any deviation from what we had ordered ,. lots of choice from the buffet too .Stratford and the surrounding Cotswolds area is so pretty, all the lovely villages and gardens well worth visiting at any time off year and Alveston Manor a great base from which to explore the area .

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind comments. My team and I really do try our best to achieve excellent customer service for all of our guests, sadly sometimes we are unable to provide this as many circumstances do affect the day to day running of the hotel.
We always take all reviews from our guests in a positive manner and ensure that we take note of any feedback to help us deliver to guest expectations.
I was so very pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your comments to the team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Alveston Manor Hotel & Spa
Steve Quic k, General Manager
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Location, gardens and fascia excellent, Lucasz on the fron desk was very polite and helpful but from there on it went down hill. Our room (37) was out in what looked like a 1970s Butlins styled annex, it was tiny, dated, permanently hot and the aircon was too noisy to leave on for any length of time. Breakfast was best described as adequate. I have honestly stayed at Premier Inn Manchester for £29 and experienced better quality rooms and food.

Room Tip: get a room in the old original part of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
I was very disappointed by the heading of your Trip Advisor feedback, I can assure you that the Alveston Manor and Macdonald Hotels, as one of the surviving hotel companies in the UK, do not acquiesce to providing mediocre quality, and have managed in spite of the credit crisis to continue to offer quality and service. Whilst I appreciate that the Premier Inn may offer rooms for £29.00 in some areas, we at the Alveston Manor, offer a fantastic location and excellent facility.
Steve Quick, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

UK
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Hotel did try to make an effort with a Card and Chocolates for my Birthday but were in the wrong room when we arrived! Hotel was a little tired but clean and Spa facilities were lovely!

22nd May Dinner...Mushroom Risotto with No Mushrooms? Tuna Steaks sent back twice as they were not cooked and the accompanying vegetables were cold...then we were advised the Chef had run out of Tuna...offered Salmon after we explained of allergies and still tried to give us Salmon...we then settled on another Risotto and it looked more like Gruel from Oliver...Or Rice Pudding...Nothing like my Risotto with no Mushrooms...except this had floating Mushrooms! The Scallops are overpriced for a dribble of dressing and 2 Scallops on a plate nearly £10...Complimentary Wine offered for disastrous meal & unattentive staff; we did not want the extra bottle of wine as we still had ½ bottle left from what we had ordered and it was opened and left for us to pour ourselves (you kind of expect a little staff service when staying somewhere which is supposedly 4 or 5 stars...and the extra bottle was showing on our Bill when we checked out on the Tuesday Morning...!

Does it hurt to ask how meals are or offer to top wine glasses up or smile...this costs nothing and was not offered...staff were rude, surly and miserable!

My Birthday was on the Monday and we were so discusted with the meal that we did not want to eat at the Hotel again on the Monday night so we spoke to the Hotel Manager who agreed to get our meal transferred to the other MacDonald Hotel (The Swan)...when we arrived on the Monday the Restaurant which we have found out is independent from the Hotel Le Bistro Pierre- they said that we needed to choose from the Hotels own Menu but we did not like any of the food on offer and chose to eat from Le Bistro Pierre’s menu...This was beautiful and definitely recommended...Staff were lovely and attentive and was 100m from Alveston Manor’s front door...If you want a nice meal we really recommend this restaurant! The Meal that was supposed to be complimentary was then showing on our bill on Tuesday Morning...!

Breakfast on both days was wrong...How can a simple request of no black pudding and Egg be wrong...no tables were ready or dressed...was dirty...food undercooked...no butter, cutlery, tea cups on table...we decided the only way we could get what we wanted was to state what each person wanted...Staff dropped a knife 3 times and said sod it! Got told the Hotel had run out of numerous items as they had not ordered food...this is the hotels problem and not the guests! Left to wait for ages, food was cold and not welcoming!

Air Con unit broke in our room and the Restaurant Manager came up and tried to fix it with a Cork Screw! By this point we were laughing at all the hiccup’s the Hotel had had...

2 Afternoon Teas on our Bill and we did not order it let alone have any afternoon tea!

After discussions with the Hotel Manager on 23rd May and 24th May when we came to check out...we got the standard response that they butter everyone with a complaint about...They did say they would discuss with the relevant staff members in their weekly meeting and as such are still waiting to hear from the Hotel...This trip would have cost nearly £1000 for 4 people for 2 nights including Dinner, Bed and Breakfast...

We did get the meal and bottle of wine taken off the bill and refused to pay the bill for sunday nights dinner...Still waiting to hear from MacDonald Hotels to get a refund for the Weekend!

I think you get better service at a Premier Inn! This was the last Holiday before our Baby arrives and was totally ruined...

If the Staff change and get some personality training and customer service training it could be a lovely hotel BUT we will not be going back! EVER!

3 Thank LilacViolet-1
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
I am very disappointed that you have not given me the time to return from my holiday and answer your issues, as discussed on your departure from the Alveston Manor.

I have on my return from holiday written to you, as agreed, and do hope that the recompense made will now restore your faith in Macdonald Hotels. As a customer service provider, we do sometimes get things wrong when we look after so many customers on a daily and weekly basis, and I am very proud that many of our guests are very happy to continue to stay at the Alveston Manor Hotel, as we really do aim to achieve 100 per cent customer satisfaction. I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at what is normally a very professional hotel with a happy team.
London
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Hotel very dissapointing. Treat for my daughters birthday. Husband sent his meal back 3 times on the first night, complimentary bottle of wine was added to the bill along with 2 afternoon teas which we did not book. Breakfast the staff got all 4 orders wrong. The staff do not really look like they want to be there. It costs nothing to smile and be friendly. One of the staff seemed to wear many hats, ie maitre di restaurant manager, repair man. We did not eat in the Restaurant for my daughters birthday as we were so dissapointed. Instead we went over the road to the sister Hotel and it was very good. Because this was booked with Tesco vouchers they had our money up front, so we await the return of the Manager from his holiday to resolve this disastorous weekend.

1 Thank LondonSmokey

I have on my return from holiday written to you, as agreed, and do hope that the recompense made will now restore your faith in Macdonald Hotels. As a customer service provider, we do sometimes get things wrong when we look after so many customers on a daily and weekly basis, and I am very proud that many of our guests are very happy to continue to stay at the Alveston Manor Hotel.

As you can see from 113 excellent reviews on trip adviser we as a hotel pride ourselves on getting customer service right, and I am so very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at what is usually a very professional hotel with an excellent team of people.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2011

My wife and I got married at Alveston Manor on the 14th May. We chose the hotel as our venue due to its beautiful character and the welcome that we received from the hotel staff when we first visited. On every detail we can only praise the service and professionalism and friendliness we have encountered in every correspondance. The Alveston is a wonderful wedding venue. The staff, especially Laura the co ordinator have been amazing, helpful and considerate and patient with our demands and questions. On the Andy the concierge was everywhere guiding and supporting and was calming. Keith the restaurant manager was helpful and guided us through our food choices and selection pre wedding and was always helpful. Also on the day thanks to Tim the master of ceremonies and the staff in reception for their charm and attentiveness to us and our guests. The food on the day was amazing, thanks to the chef and his team. All of our guests praised the wedding breakfast. Our stay at the hotel was lovely, a beautiful light, warm four poster room. Many of our guests were also enthused by their rooms, their experience and the breakfast on the morning after. They all found the Alveston to be a wondeful quality venue. We can thoroughly recomemend the hotel for a wedding and a short break venue. Thank you all again for a beautiful wedding day to remember.

1 Thank PoetfromBirmingham
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed at Alveston Manor to celebrate our wedding anniversary, having got married at the hotel two years ago. The hotel was fantastic from the moment we checked in. Our room (no.2) was beautiful and the hotel gave us wine and chocolates as an anniversary present which was a lovely touch. The GM was very friendly and welcoming as were all of the staff - great service throughout. The leisure facility was great, nice pool to swim lengths or just relax. Breakfast was very good, and it was nice to walk around the gardens. The location of the hotel is perfect for walking into the town centre, less than 5 min, and it has a complimentary car park. All in all, we had a fab stay and we can't wait to come back next year!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for returning to the Alveston Manor for your wedding anniversary, I am delighted that we did not disappoint and thank you for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you next year. Steven Quick, General Manager