“Lovely old hotel - great location”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This has to be the nicest and closest hotel to the center of Stratford upon Avon. The oldest area is of course the nicest, the newer parts are not so nice, - but still fine accommodation.
The grounds are lovely and it has a great atmosphere. It's so close to the center of town and even closer to the river and the Shakespeare Theater.
Value wise, you just have to get over the prices of nice hotels and food (and gas) in the UK - or you will make yourself miserable! Just pay up and enjoy the place!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,478)

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We chose Alveston Manor because we had stayed there several years ago, while on a break with Titan Tours. We liked it then and really enjoyed it this time; staying for three nights.
It is conveniently located, literally a pleasant five minute walk from the centre of Stratford via a quaint bridge across the river Avon. We spent some time in Stratford itself as well as having a day out to Bletchley Park, less than 50 miles away, also worth a visit.
The staff at Alveston Manor were very helpful and pleasant. We requested a room change, simply for our convenience not because of any problems with the room. They accommodated us very readily.
We booked bed & breakfast but actually stayed for evening dinner each day. The meals were excellent, not large but adequate, well presented and cooked. Our room was very convenient, well appointed and air conditioned with my car parked right outside.
The only niggle was paying for the car parking, even as a guest; I've never had to do that in all of my life. And, as is usual with such establishments, the price of wines was well over the top, but on a break we live a little and don't moan.

Room Tip: Request a room near to the dining room and reception otherwise you might experience a long walk and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were looking for a nice manor house type hotel with grounds and a spa, gym, pool etc. we saw The Alveston Manor and have stayed in a number of other McDonald hotels so we thought this one was perfect, especially the location being within walking distance of the town.

Check in was prompt but we did have quite a walk to our rooms which where about as far away from reception as you could get and lots of stairs with no lift so not ideal if you are elderly or infirm. The room was small but functional but as some previous reviews have mentioned, could do with a bit of an update. The decor is a little jaded and the carpet had seen better days, as had the furniture which was a bit scratched. The bed however was extremely comfortable and the pillows lovely and soft. We had 3-nights of excellent quality sleep and despite the hotel being very busy, it was not noisy.

We chose not to dine in the restaurant of an evening because it lacked any kind of atmosphere and there were so many other beautiful places to explore within a 10-minute walk. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice for both continental or cooked options and everything is cooked to order and was served hot.

The one thing the hotel really needs to focus on is more staff who know what they are doing. It seems to us that many were just college kids doing a few hours and on the 2 evenings we came back for a nightcap in the bar, we had to wait a long time for anyone to appear. It was rather like Fawlty Towers on a couple of occasions. Breakfast staff were having arguments over who was doing what rather than just getting on with it and time would have been better spent filling up fruit juices, fresh fruit platter and cereals and clearing dirty tables rather than folding napkins. We had to ask for our table to be cleared each morning as the pots were piling up so that when the cooked food was brought out, there was nowhere to put the plates and we ended up having to put them on the floor.

We were also told that there was a cream tea available on arrival but this never materialised. We sat outside waiting and eventually asked a waiter if it was possible to get a drink outside. He said "Yes" but never returned to take our order so we had to go to the bar ourselves.

On the plus side, the health spa is wonderful. I had one of the best aromatherapy massages I have ever had (many thanks go to Jessica who managed to get me in a very relaxed state!) the gym is also very good with a range of equipment and looks out over the pool and gardens. The pool is a good size and as I was in early each morning, there were only another couple of people in. Children are not allowed in until after 8am so it was lovely and quiet!

Other than the minor discrepancies stated, the hotel is very centrally located and easy to walk into town or go to the RSC. It is in a nice setting and the grounds are very well tended. If they can get the staffing issue sorted I think this would make a huge difference. Needs to improve before we would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank winonhols
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Disappointed with the quality of the room - very dated and in desperate need of refurb. Pitted bath with rust spots! Dirty windows sills and chipped furniture big disappointment.
Service was interesting - never had to find someone to serve at the a bar before !
Restaurant? Well good was ok but difficult to enjoy anything when on a hot day the hearings on full blast, making you feel drowsy and unwell.
In summary a disappointing stay and not one I ll repeat!

• Stayed: June 2013
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Thank you for posting your feedback, I too am disappointed to note your comments about your room, the housekeeping team work hard to ensure rooms are clean and well presented and our sincere apologies if this was not achieved. I take on board your comments about the bar service and the temperature in the restaurant and will be discussed these with the appropriate heads of departments. I hope that you will use Macdonald Hotels in the future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We visit the area twice a year and stayed here as a treat. When we arrived the customer service was good however we had a very long walk to our room which was fine for us but maybe not for elderly customers, the rooms were clean and well presented but I was very disappointed that the period features weren’t a common theme through the hotel and in the rooms as the front is lovely.

The breakfast was nice however you had to pay an extra for special breakfast items we had already paid nearly £18 each for the breakfast! We didn’t eat in the hotel however I had the shock of my life when I went to the bar and ordered 2 drinks one alcoholic and one soft drink and I had to pay over £10! The Spa was nice and we used it every day but I think we felt we had too as we had spent so much on the accommodation.

I think for what the hotel is its very expensive and there are hotels that are just as nice in the area if you can get a special deal it might be worth it.

Tips - as nice as breakfast was don’t pay extra if it’s no included in your package, there is a Wetherspoons in the town go there!
Don’t buy any drinks in the bar, there are lots of nice bars and pubs in the town or Marks and Spencer’s sells wine!

Room Tip: Try and get a room that faces the car park as it is much quieter than one facing the road and BP gar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My husband booked us both in for a full body massage and its the best massage I have ever received...apart from the one I received in Hawaii on my honeymoon. The therapist was really good at making me feel relaxed and when I had finished my treatment I felt rejuvenated. I would highly recommend. We also had a light lite which overall was lovely however the only thing I would change about this would be to have the food served on a plate rather than in a box with the segments.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidays4me_9

Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed such excellent treatments in Vital Spa, and hope that we can welcome you back in the near future. Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 6 July 2013

So myself and my partner turned up on a Thursday afternoon to be greeted by a warm welcoming at reception. After the formalities were dealt with we were given our room key. Finding the room was a little difficult and pain staking process, however once we got into our room, it was your bulk standard hotel. Nothing at all like i) what the website described it as and ii) Macdonald Hotel and Spa in Manchester. It was ok a little overpriced for what it was, ok nonetheless. The bed was a disappointing king bed as it was just two singles attached to make a larger bed.
My partner found the breakfast to be nice, she is a vegetarian, and found that the service was not too bad either.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor, and we take note fo your comments. We are currently looking at improving our internal signage follow comments from our guests. I am sorry you were disappointed with your room in our modern wing, but pleased to note that we were able to provide a good breakfast for your vegetarian partner. I hope that you will use Macdonald Hotels in the future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager