“Excellent Hotel - Poor restaurant”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel - Poor restaurant”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was the first time I have stayed in this hotel and I was very impressed. From the moment you walk in it is a very warming place. The room we stayed in was excellent very clean and had a bottle of wine in there waiting for us, the staff were very friendly and it had a nice pool, sauna and gym to relax in. I would go back!
The problems and there were a few. The first was with dinner. The service was extremely bad. We had to wait 30 minutes for our order to be taken and had to wait an extra 10 minutes for our bottle of wine!!! A 40 minute wait for a food and drink order, and there was only 11 people in the restaurant!!! I was extremely disappointed in this. There was no explanation or no apology either which I thought was rude to. This was the same for the other 3 or 4 tables around us. The amount of complaints from that night must be looked into. The food was AMAZING!!!
The next issue was the room location. The one problem we had with the room was there was a fan of some sort outside the window which kept us up all night. I would recommend that if you stay in one of the rooms which face the front car park you would want to move. It would have also been nice if the hotel told us about this at reception.
On the whole an OK stay, however I hope that the restaurant service improves. I would recommend this hotel to stay. Just make sure you check the room you stay in.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed on the 27 th of oct for one night with my friend and can not believe how bad our stay was..
Room 22 was ok, nothing special, service in the bar was slow and sometimes nonexistent, in fact we waited at the bar and a member of staff walked in and out the bar area and completely ignored us, a simple 'will be with you in a minute' would have been nice! In the evening after our meal, went back to the bar to order a couple of champagne cocktails and was met by a 'bar man' who informed us the till wasn't working and so we couldn't pay cash, so in order for us to have our drinks my friend needed to show photo ID! Really? We wasn't happy about the service once again but went along with it just so we could have a drink, 20 mins later, someone else bought a drink and paid cash, we asked if the till was working and the bar man said yes, so we paid for our drinks that we ordered earlier, unfortunately for us, the bar man didn't update the payment on the system and my friend was charged for these again on checking out, she did question it but got confused and paid, again!! I have emailed the hotel,twice about this, but they haven't even bothered to reply.. 4star hotel indeed, rip off hotel with lazy staff.. Can't believe they are allowed to get away with this.. There are so many better hotels in the area, and if I were you I would book one of them. This hotel lacks customer service of any kind...

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on this hotel, better ones in the area and cheaper....
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor, I am sorry that you left the Alveston Manor Hotel with such a poor impression, and would assure you that the service you experienced does not reflect our usual high standard of customer care. Our sincere apologies for any shortfall in our standards of service in the bar during your visit.
If you contact me personally, I will be pleased to discuss any issues with your bill, we have unfortunately been unable to trace your e-mails and can only apologise for any lack of response.
Sam Aziz, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed for two nights (Friday and Saturday) to attend a function at the Hotel.
The room was clean, warm and well appointed. Ample hot water.
There was a little noise from the ajoining room but other than that no issues.
Would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Well spread out on two floors with long corridors. Did not see a lift but there may be one. Try for...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was our fourth visit to the alveston manor and I must admit that the superior room that we booked was looking a little tired. The bath was chipped and although very clean the whole place could do with a refurb. The breakfast was very nice but I felt that it is a bit money grabbing to charge extra for fish and eggs Benedict. The evening dinner was quite nice but there are so many lovely restaurants nearby that we only ate there the once. The staff are very helpful and when we had a lightbulb out it was replaced immediately. I thought that the £5 to park the car was unnecessary as we had never paid it when we stayed on previous occasions. All in all the location of the hotel is excellent as it is just across the river to shops ,bars and restaurants and is particularly nice in the winter months as the lounge and bar areas are very cosy it just needs some money spent on it.

Room Tip: I like staying in the old part of the building as it really has character
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just returned from a special deal to this hotel for a spa weekend. The deal included a bottle of bubbles, Dinner, Breakfast and a spa treatment... This was a treat for my beautiful daughter, who actually came away even more beautiful after her treatments...if that's possible! I have to say the experience was an absolute pleasure from when we first arrived. Yes...the place is a little tired in places but the staff are wonderful, the spa and treatments amazing and dinner was exceptional for the price paid. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a short luxury break, and you are only a few minutes walk into the town..... I feel thoroughly spoiled and pampered....just what a break like this should do....... Thankyou! :0)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post such generous comments, I am delighted that you and your daughter had such an enjoyable and relaxing break with us. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with all those concerned. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Sam Aziz, General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Tourists will love the history and architecture of this hotel. With heaps of interesting facts from yesteryear, fine decor, excellent food, comfortable bedrooms, a superb health spa, and within very close walking distance of the the local attractions that Stratford upon Avon has to offer, guests will not be disappointed. The lack of my 5th star, was simply down to an administration error that was not rectified by reception, so I lost out on the use of a voucher. Other than that, I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, all bedrooms have very noisy closing doors, so the less thoughtful guests can be ra...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback, it is always good to receive such positive comments and I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager
Berkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Visited this hotel in March, had an enjoyable break so decided to return. The hotel does need a bit of redecoration, but could not fault the cleanliness. Would not like to pick out just one member of staff as all who we dealt with were extremely friendly and helpful. We ate at the hotel on both nights of our stay and the food as before was absolutely delicious and very competitively priced. Would have no hesitation in returning if visiting Stratford again.