“Like having eggs for an omelet but no whisk.”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked a King. Got an appalling dingy Crossroads Motel room at the back. Windows let the wind in. Furniture and halls ways beaten up. Two single beds pushed together for Valentine's Night!!!!
I complained in a firm but reasonable voice and the manager accused me of shouting and taking things personally. My partner was listening and found this amusing. We got upgraded to a family room with a sofa so that ended ok.
Valentine's meal was amazing. Carmine the head waiter was attentive.
Breakfast was very nice although disorganised on the second morning.
Slamming doors are a major problem.
Ice bucket brought rapidly when requested.
No advance notice of major repairs in the lounge area and toilets. Parts roped off with builders walking around covered in plaster.
Poor checkout with 30-40 people in line from reception. My bill was £25 overcharged. I had to trek back to my room to get my iPad and line up again to show the email before the supervisor believed me.even then she suggested that I had given her the wrong room number the first time round. I wonder how I ever managed to find my room at all?
The hotel is past it's prime in some ways and tasteful in others. Some staff are excellent. Some are atrocious. In half a day, I had the same waitress barge at me with a dishwasher tray full of glasses three times.
The swimming pool was freezing. The Sauna was closed.
I would never recommend this over-priced Travel Lodge when there is probably better service at the Premier Inn in the town for a fraction of the price.
Please avoid it and spend your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pay for the feature rooms in the main house. The rest are well past their sell-by dates.
2  Thank FiveStarVegas
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry that you left the Alveston Manor with such a poor impression, I am, however, pleased to note that we were able to offer you an upgraded room. Thank you also for your kind commnets and Carmine and the food.
We have just completed major investment in the refurbishing of the public areas of the hotel, whilst we did our best to avoid any disruption, inevitably on occasions work did have a minimal impact on guests.
My sincere apologies for the service you receive on check out, and that the sauna was out of action, due to circumstances beyond our control.
I have corresponded with you personally in respect of the above issues, and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel, at sometime in the future. Sam Aziz, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel

Reviewed 16 February 2014

this hotel was over priced at £150 per night. The room was small and standard and not worth the £150 at all. Be careful when you order room service as there is a £3 additional service charge. Check out was a disaster, the reception staff are slow and there was a huge queue which took 30mins when we checked out on the Sunday,there is no jacuzzi and steam room is no longer working.
All in all the hotel is overpriced and for the same standard of bedroom you could get it at half the price at another hotel. Also you have yo pay to park £5

1  Thank J F
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I booked the hotel through Late Rooms and it appeared I was getting a good price. However, what the hotel description didn't state is that they have built a modern extension onto the older part of the building in the style of a travel lodge. I really feel like I've been ripped off! You also have to pay for parking at the hotel, which doesn't leave you with a great first impression as you arrive. On the plus side, it is only walking distance from the town centre.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ktbeth19
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback, the majority of our rooms are located in the modern wing, and I am sorry if your were disappointed. Our car park is operated by a third party in order to provide a secure area in which our guests can park and we do make a minimal charge of £5 per stay, however, as you rightly say the Alveston Manor is in an excellent location for exploring Stratford where car parking is at a premium.
Thank you again, Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Lovely hotel, convenient for walking into town centre, really excellent food, nice pool, with sauna statement room, gym etc, only missing a jacuzzi which is a shame. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Beautiful location and very impressive from outside unfortunately dull and dingy inside. Staff were pleasant and welcoming Bedroom on ground floor was clean and comfortable but also reflected the dull dingy image with poor lighting and heavy net curtains. Evening meal and service on first night of stay was excellent. Breakfast on second morning service was poor and staff appeared disorganized coffee and toast order did not materialise despite other tables arriving after us,being served promptly, had to re order then wait again, order for top up coffee failed to appear.

1  Thank Valerie J
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed at the Hotel very recently with my elderly parents, the rooms were OK, nothing special and on a cold February weekend could have done with double glazing in the bedroom windows! The main problem was the restaurant it was freezing cold we mentioned it to the staff but all they could say was that the heating was on! The food was alright a choice of about 7 mains and over our 2 night stay was a bit boring, on the 2nd night we weren't even told about a daily special this we overheard mentioned to other guests after we had eaten! There didn't seem to be anyone in overall charge in the restaurant and therefore seemed very chaotic, especially at breakfast on the Sunday morning. Overall for the cost of the stay this was a bad experience and one i won't be repeating.

Room Tip: rooms near the spa are a long walk from the reception/restaurant and bar
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KarenW17

Thank you for posting your comments, my apologies that you were cold during your stay, and I am sorry if you and your parents were uncomfortable when dining in the restaurant. I take on board your comments about the restaurant service, and will discuss them with the Restaurant Manager; we do run a limited restaurant menu through January and February and again apologies if you felt the choice was poor.
I am sorry if we did not provide a good experience on this occasion and hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family & friends to celebrate a special birthday. The receptionist was very friendly & efficient and all our rooms were ready on arrival. The restaurant food was nicely presented and to a very high standard. The ambience was very relaxing and the staff were very attentive. I was even presented with a free glass of champagne on my birthday! The hotel itself was in a good location and within easy walking distance of the Stratford Town centre. All in all it was a lovely weekend to remember.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family