“Great hotel, Great location, Great weekend.”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I booked this hotel direct before I read the tripadvisor reviews. To be honest I'm glad I did this because after reading some of the reviews on here I'm not sure I would have booked. I was slightly apprehensive as to what the hotel would be like however I needn't have worried.
We arrived at about 7.30pm on Friday. Check in was swift with a very friendly welcome. We had upgraded into one of the executive rooms in the main part of the hotel and it was lovely. Very clean and quaint-lots of lovely beams and windows. You get a nespresso coffee machine and fridge which was good and dressing gowns which is always a bonus (for me anyway) After a long busy week all we wanted to do was kick back, relax and chill in our room. We slept well, bed was not brilliant but then it wasn't our own so is always going to be different. Pillows were great! Our room faced the front of the hotel and the road but we experienced no noise and getting to sleep and staying there was no problem.
Breakfast was a pure joy, fantastic service with everything we required brought speedily and professionally. The cooked breakfast was delicious and this comes from someone who usually hates a fry-up!!
The location of the hotel is perfect. The fact you can walk everywhere is brilliant. We didn't mind paying £5 to park as this was for the whole weekend and so much cheaper than if we had to drive somewhere and park for the day.
We enjoyed the pool and the spa on Saturday and had a massage which although was very quick was very good.
We went out sat eve for a meal and there are ample restaurants in walking distance-we would have eaten in the hotel but it was very busy.
We slept really well on Sat eve and Sunday breakfast was again spot on.
Would I recommend this hotel YES!
This is my first review of a hotel on trip advisor and I'm doing this because of all the bad reviews on here. I hope it provides a "balanced view"
Did we find anything to moan about NO!
We had a lovely weekend in a fantastic part of the world and came home feeling relaxed, happy and fat!!

• Stayed: March 2014
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such wonderful comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much; we strive to provide excellent customer service and it is very pleasing to read such positive feedback, which as you rightly say helps to give a more balanced view, I will ensure that it is shared with the team.
I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Spent a long weekend here and I must say that it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable of its surroundings. The food was second to none, it's breakfasts covered just about everyone's taste and requirements and its evening meals plentiful.

The rooms are clean and tidy and you get lost in the king size beds!

The bars and surroundings were exceptional, it houses a spa and of course a swimming pool.

If you are going to Stratford-upon-Avon you could do no better than to stay at the Alveston Manor. It is situated in an ideal location just a 5 minute walk from the town centre and its water ways, the Shakespeare theatre and attractions.

All in a 10 out of 10 hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear guest
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about the Alveston Manor and the staff, I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us with will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Alveston Manor is a really lovely manor house. The rooms are clean and adequate. Its big plus is that it is only 5 minutes walk from the centre. However I have never stayed in a hotel where they charge you £5 to park your car! Furthermore I wouldn't recommend the bar. I was charged just over £15 for a tonic, a standard glass of wine and two half pints of lager. Take the good and leave the bad.....

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback, and I am pleased that you found your room clean and presentable. Our car parking is operated by a third party in order to provide a secure environment in which our guests can park, the charge of £5 per stay is in line with/or less than other town centre hotels in Stratford, where parking is at a premium.
Thank you again, and I hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We hav'nt stayed here but have eaten here for many years. Today again great service, only had coffee and a vodka, but such a great lounge to relax in. Very clean. The menu for the lounge is very comprehensive as is the drinks menu. worth a visit

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well we have just returned after a night stay family of 3... when we arrived the hotel looks lovely.. however you soon see behinde the exsterier is a common travel lodge style building... after check in we made a very and i mean very long walk to our room to only duscover there wasnt a bed for our son we tried to phone reception but the phone wasnt working so we had to walk the mile trek back to reception. Eventually a bed was brought to the room... we went into the town and had a lovely meal out. We returned for the night only to have no sleep due to a group shouting and slamming doors even after reporting to reception this continued through the night resulting in a very grumpy over tiered 3 year old the next day. So overall this hotel is very over priced and would not advise staying here with young children is you want to actually sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

A group of girlies had a fabulous cream tea, staff very attentive polite and welcoming . Hotel full of charm and character thoroughly enjoyable. Great location for town and sightseeing. Best scones I have ever tasted. Thank you !!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Staff was very helpful - bed was uncomfortable, couldn't regulate the heating, so at times felt cold. The Spa was fantastic though - there was an aqua aerobics class tasking place, wish I had joined in now. The gym was excellent, easy to use equipment -I would go again, but would upgrade room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple