“Over night stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Over night stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Pleasant room, with a great comfortable Queen-size bed. Ignoring the en-suite plumbing, the room was fine. Good leisure facilities. Location was very good with quick access by foot in to the Town and the amenities.
The public corridors and circulation areas are a bit tired and need refreshing.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Alveston Manor Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and my husband decided to come here for our anniversary. I am wishing we hadn't now! It was a special occasion as we hit a mile stone in our marriage and was ruined by the general state of this supposed 4 star hotel and the lack of management in the spa. We hadn't previously booked any treatments in the spa but as we stayed for 3 days we thought we would visit the spa and try and book in for the following day. We had quite a walk from our room above the bar, not very well sign posted!! We finally got to the reception and were greated with quite miserable members of staff, they told us to go up another flight of stairs to get to the spa. We got to the spa and no one was on reception. So we waited and waited and waited, there were people in and out the spa in robes but no members of staff, my husband been in the security business pointed out they had no CCTV but had expensive products on display!! For a 4 star hotel I would like to think security is one aspect hotels need!! Anyway we waited 35mins no sign of anyone so we left and went else where to a local salon for our treatments and I must say the small town salon was perfect and far from the 4 star dump we came from. Our room was small, dirty and noisy, I must say the food was lovely in the restaurant but the staff were very miserable, staffing seems to be a problem with this hotel! The receptionist was very kind and inviting such a shame the hotel let it all down! I won't be staying here ever again! It's way over priced! I had given the hotel the benefit of doubt after reading such terrible reviews prior to booking. Is defiantly lives up to the poor reviews on here!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Security4u
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently came with my mother and sister for a spa day, when we arrived in the spa there was no one on reception for 45 mins!! When the staff finally appeared we were ignored for 5 mins until we were taken to the relax room. After been taken into the "relax" room to our amazement it was far from relaxing, there was no seats left and there was dirty cups all over the place, the room looked so messy and far from relaxing. Our therapist took over 50 mins to take us through for treatment, I was not given a thorough consultation and the therapist missed one of my medical conditions, luckily I know I was still able to have the treatment. After talking to the therapist I soon realised she was the manager, so I expected some what of a first class service after such disappointment. My treatment was ment to be an hour long but in fact it was only 40 mins!! I was left in the room to get dressed and noticed the face towels she had used on me were soiled and had been put back into the heated cabinet to be used again!! Anyway, we spend a few hours in the spa tryin to relax and noticed the phone was ringing non stop but no one was on reception! I mentioned to the manager about this issue as I also had an issue with trying to ring the spa, her response was some what to be desired and quite snappy. I will safely say I won't visit there again, staff are rude, place is untidy and staff cut treatment times after paying such a high price for spa days. The manager was very unprofessional.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Starling201
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear guest
Thank you for your comments, our sincere apologies that you were so disappointed with your experience in our Spa. Please be assured that you comments have been taken on board and addressed with thos concerned, all customer feedback is important to us. I would like to add that our Spa is very busy, and our Spa Days are popular, it is unusual for us us to receive such negative comments, and I am very sorry that we did not deliver on this occasion. Sam Aziz, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Warwick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive about our stay. However, we had nothing to worry about. The hotel is very nice inside and out and has very nice period features.Is in a very good location for visiting Stratford.
Staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Rooms were clean and well equipped. Bed was comfortable and the pillows were very soft. We had booked a spa treatment and our rooms were conveniently located close to the spa.Spa treatments were great and we enjoyed spending time in the relaxation room. Dinner and breakfast was delicious and service was brilliant.
The only very minor weak points were the £5 parking fee, being charged £5 for a 750ml bottle of water in the restaurant and the windows in the bedroom wouldn't open so couldn't get any fresh air (although there was air con).
I will definitely be returning soon and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for posting such positive comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager
WEST YORKS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

It was not of choosing that I stayed here recently. I had booked into the Swans Nest opposite but they had managed to lose my booking so sent me across the road to their sister hotel.
From the outside the hotel looks lovely and is just 5 minutes easy walk from the town centre.
On checking in I was looked after by Alice who was polite and friendly.
Even though I had booked a Double room I was sent to an extremely small single as that was all they had available.
The room was poorly decorated, very small and had an extremely uncomfortable single bed.
The room was very hot and I hardly slept all night and when I did I would turn and hit the wall next to my bed.
The shower in the morning was inconsistent and went from burning hot to tepid to end the stay from hell.
Also they do not start serving breakfast till 7 a.m and I had to leave early so did not get anything and no reduction in my bill.
I used to like Mac Donald hotels but this needs a lot of love and attention.

Room Tip: not room 58 and not a single !
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ANDY K
Evesham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My friends and I, all in need of a break booked a spa break. From the minute we arrived the receptionist couldn't of been more helpful and booked us into our rooms even though we had arrived early. Her helpful and friendly attitude instantly helped us all begin to relax. Nothing was too much trouble for the guys who served us our evening meal in the restaurant the same evening. Food was delicious! We all enjoyed the spa and our treatments. Only comment is gym could do with air conditioning. Thank you for a great weekend, we will definitely book here again. The staff made it.

Room Tip: Our room was 153. Very pleasant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I came for a weekend away and I must say we were a little underwhelmed. The hotel is beautiful from the outside and in a fantastic location, close to the river and town. It is a shame that even guests have to pay for parking in the hotel car park. Inside the hotel is well laid out but the decor is tired and a little shabby. Our room was clean and well appointed but nothing special. The restaurant is quite stuffy and old fashioned and we chose to eat elsewhere. We had a few spa treatments booked which were lovely but the spa is not terribly big and it was quite tricky to find a place to sit and relax. Breakfast was ok but again nothing special. The big plus for the hotel though are the staff, throughout our stay we found them to be helpful and friendly. All in all we had a pleasant stay but would just expect a bit more from a four star hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, I am pleased to note that overall you had a pleasant stay with us but sorry that you were a little underwhlemed. The Hotel has recently had considerable investment, with external upgrades and the lounge, bar, reception areas have recently been refurbished. We hope that this investment will continue in the foreseeable future. Thank you for you kind comments about the staff, all of whom work hard to ensure that our guests have a positive experience. Sam Aziz, General Manager