“Great place in a good location with good restaurant”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed here before, it's in a great location for visiting Stratford. The basic rooms are nice, with iron and board, complimentary drinks, hair dryer. There is a bath and shower with toiletries.

The beds are comfortable, disappointed though that one of the duvet covers was stained, it was clean but had an old stain on it.

The rooms are quiet and most of them are accessible from car parks.

Restaurant was very good for both dinner and breakfast. Dinner service was a bit slow but food was delicious and well cooked. Young man taking orders was really nice and helpful called John Rogers.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Came for Shakespeare on a "S****t E*****s" deal but was very disappointed. Hotel front signage needs repair and patched up window. Room just ok but radiator did not work, the a/c was slow and noisy, and the window ill-fitting. Had to request complimentary wine and bill did not show £10 services credit. Spa is ok, dinner was reasonable and breakfast was probably the best thing. Poor value for money, staying in a b & b next time and spending difference in a good restaurant.

Room Tip: Expect a long walk!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, all of which is important to us and we take on board. Please accept our apologies for any shortfalls on our part, I am sorry that we disappointed on this occasion. I hope that you will reconsider and visit us again in the future, so that we may have the opportunity to show what we can achieve. Sam Aziz, General Manager.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

If you are staying in Stratford this hotel is surely the best choice, can't quite understand why it is not in the top five at least. Not only for its perfect location in the town but also for its overall quality. We spend many of our holidays in the USA and found that this hotel was almost on a par with hotels Stateside, in other words a cut above what we usually get in the UK. We have read some of the negative reviews people have given but found our experience to be entirely positive. Our room was of a good size larger than most in the UK and it was clean and comfortable, the bed gave a good night's sleep. We ate breakfast and dined at the hotel and enjoyed all our meals. We rate this hotel as 'very good' instead of excellent simply because for the price for what is provided is exactly what you should expect. We plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room which was larger than our friends' first floor room so perhaps...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and for the positive feedback. As you rightly say, Alveston Manor is in a perfect location for visiting Stratford upon Avon, and we strive to provide excellent customer service, I am pleased that we delivered to expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you again. Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Pleasant room, with a great comfortable Queen-size bed. Ignoring the en-suite plumbing, the room was fine. Good leisure facilities. Location was very good with quick access by foot in to the Town and the amenities.
The public corridors and circulation areas are a bit tired and need refreshing.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Alveston Manor Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Me and my husband decided to come here for our anniversary. I am wishing we hadn't now! It was a special occasion as we hit a mile stone in our marriage and was ruined by the general state of this supposed 4 star hotel and the lack of management in the spa. We hadn't previously booked any treatments in the spa but as we stayed for 3 days we thought we would visit the spa and try and book in for the following day. We had quite a walk from our room above the bar, not very well sign posted!! We finally got to the reception and were greated with quite miserable members of staff, they told us to go up another flight of stairs to get to the spa. We got to the spa and no one was on reception. So we waited and waited and waited, there were people in and out the spa in robes but no members of staff, my husband been in the security business pointed out they had no CCTV but had expensive products on display!! For a 4 star hotel I would like to think security is one aspect hotels need!! Anyway we waited 35mins no sign of anyone so we left and went else where to a local salon for our treatments and I must say the small town salon was perfect and far from the 4 star dump we came from. Our room was small, dirty and noisy, I must say the food was lovely in the restaurant but the staff were very miserable, staffing seems to be a problem with this hotel! The receptionist was very kind and inviting such a shame the hotel let it all down! I won't be staying here ever again! It's way over priced! I had given the hotel the benefit of doubt after reading such terrible reviews prior to booking. Is defiantly lives up to the poor reviews on here!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Security4u
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently came with my mother and sister for a spa day, when we arrived in the spa there was no one on reception for 45 mins!! When the staff finally appeared we were ignored for 5 mins until we were taken to the relax room. After been taken into the "relax" room to our amazement it was far from relaxing, there was no seats left and there was dirty cups all over the place, the room looked so messy and far from relaxing. Our therapist took over 50 mins to take us through for treatment, I was not given a thorough consultation and the therapist missed one of my medical conditions, luckily I know I was still able to have the treatment. After talking to the therapist I soon realised she was the manager, so I expected some what of a first class service after such disappointment. My treatment was ment to be an hour long but in fact it was only 40 mins!! I was left in the room to get dressed and noticed the face towels she had used on me were soiled and had been put back into the heated cabinet to be used again!! Anyway, we spend a few hours in the spa tryin to relax and noticed the phone was ringing non stop but no one was on reception! I mentioned to the manager about this issue as I also had an issue with trying to ring the spa, her response was some what to be desired and quite snappy. I will safely say I won't visit there again, staff are rude, place is untidy and staff cut treatment times after paying such a high price for spa days. The manager was very unprofessional.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Starling201
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear guest
Thank you for your comments, our sincere apologies that you were so disappointed with your experience in our Spa. Please be assured that you comments have been taken on board and addressed with thos concerned, all customer feedback is important to us. I would like to add that our Spa is very busy, and our Spa Days are popular, it is unusual for us us to receive such negative comments, and I am very sorry that we did not deliver on this occasion. Sam Aziz, General Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2014

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive about our stay. However, we had nothing to worry about. The hotel is very nice inside and out and has very nice period features.Is in a very good location for visiting Stratford.
Staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Rooms were clean and well equipped. Bed was comfortable and the pillows were very soft. We had booked a spa treatment and our rooms were conveniently located close to the spa.Spa treatments were great and we enjoyed spending time in the relaxation room. Dinner and breakfast was delicious and service was brilliant.
The only very minor weak points were the £5 parking fee, being charged £5 for a 750ml bottle of water in the restaurant and the windows in the bedroom wouldn't open so couldn't get any fresh air (although there was air con).
I will definitely be returning soon and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear guest
Thank you very much for posting such positive comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sam Aziz, General Manager