“Average”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just back from a two night stay at Macdonald Alveston Manor. There were some positives to staying here those being the location, it is within walking distance of the towns attractions, parking only £5 per stay, free wifi and the attractive setting.
The negatives were cleanliness -for example there was a used shower cap hanging on the bathroom door. The room was cold as the window would not close and we had to wait an hour for someone to come and do this for us. Also there was never anyone on the reception desk so I just had to stand wait for someone to come from the office at the back each time.
Another odd thing was the way breakfast is served they ask you to order toast as soon as you sit down then come back about 10minutes later to take your breakfast order so by the time your eggs arrive the toast is stone cold!
These are only minor complaints however my overall feeling is that a hotel that charges £111 per night I don't want to have any complaints at all!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, and I would like to offer sincere apologies that we did not meet our usual high standards of standards and customer care, I do appreciate that the small things add up and I am very sorry if you were in any way disappointed. On a positive note, as you rightly say, we are located in an excellent position for visiting Stratford upon Avon, and we will strive to ensure that we meet with customer expectations. Thank you again. Sam Aziz, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

What a wonderful place this is in a beautiful setting, located just far enough out of the centre to avoid the crowds, but close enough to walk in to the centre.

Reception is efficient but can be busy at times. Our check-in was lunchtime on a Saturday, just as a wedding party arrived, there was a short wait but the staff were still pleasant when it came to assisting us, unlike some hotels where everyone seems to be a problem!

We had room 8 which is a fantastic room in the Manor house. High vaulted arched ceiling in the master bedroom, Lovely oak 4 poster bed which was super comfortable, ensuite bathroom with shower over bath. The bedroom also had a lovely arched stain glass window overlooking the gardens to the front of the hotel and towards the town centre.

The sitting room inside room 8 was also spacious and cosy, same vaulted arch ceiling and stain glass window gave the room a light and airy feel.

The rooms have comfort cooling / air conditioning in and free mineral water is provided in this room and a fridge for your soft drinks, milk or medicines. Room service provide fresh milk and ice FOC. The fresh milk makes a nice change to the UHT cartons and is lovely with the Nespresso coffee also provided in the room.

If you like your television, there are two in this room, one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room. Nice amenities in the bathroom and fluffy robes and slippers complete the set!
We stayed on a B&B basis and our direct booking with the hotel on their website (rather than travel providers website) gave us £10 credit towards any spend in the hotel.

The breakfast service is pleasant and unhurried. This could be an issue if you are desperate to get out and about, I would suggest you just advise your server that you are in a hurry and I am sure you will get faster service.

The breakfast choice is ample. Cereals, juices, fruit and bakery items are available and a menu for cooked breakfasts. Basically the typical elements of a full English are available and salmon also. There is plenty of food to suit all tastes and I would recommend including Breakfast in your stay choice.

We chose to eat in the hotel bar one evening and had a Tuna and Mayo sandwich (more than enough for one) and a Sausage, Mash and Onion Gravy main also. Both lots of food were presented well, good portion size and very tasty. The chunky chips were expensive for what you got but this is typical for hotel charges in the UK.

The hotel also has a gym and wet facilities – swimming pool, sauna and steam room. Its nice to make use of such facilities after a day sightseeing. Both the sauna and steam room are large enough for about 10 people but the steam room didn’t really get very hot.

Checkout was a busy experience again, obviously this will be time dependant, but the staff were pleasant once again despite the pressure they were under. Parking is currently charged at £5 per stay NOT per day which was a nice surprise and very reasonable. Pay when you check out and NOT at the Pay & Display meters!

Overall we had an excellent stay, nothing really we could fault. The hotel is full of character and charm with history dotted around the older buildings. Lovely garden areas to the front and rear but the most relaxing area was definitely the rear garden where you could sit and enjoy the sunshine (we were fortunate enough to have a sunny bank holiday weekend!)

The hotel is by no means 'cheap' but the quality is definitely there and you get what you pay for. Other than the chunky chips (counterbalanced by the very reasonable parking charge!) we did not begrudge any of the cost of our stay.

The floors slope, everything creaks, the hotel oozes history and the staff are pleasant and helpful - I would very much recommend a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 8 has vaulted ceilings, 4 poster bed, views over the front garden, separate sitting room and co...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments, we very much appreciate your detailed feedback and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Alveston Manor in the future. Sam Aziz, General Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I booked our stay for a one night spa package with bubbly in the room. I booked direct at the hotel by Danielle. I explained I was celebrating my partners 50th birthday. I advised that his favourite sweet was a Knickor Bocker Glory and would it be possible for this to be arranged for him. She liaised with the staff regarding my request before she emailed me back saying it was not problem.

From the moment we booked in the hotel on 4th May 2014 we were made every welcome. The room was lovely and very clean.

We were pre booked in the spa for our treatments and the staff were great and very professional. Jessica gave me a full body massage and she really got the knots out of my shoulders and I felt great afterwards My. partner had a facial he felt wonderful it made him look ten years younger lol.

We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and the staff were very professional. We were mainly served by John Rogers.(Thank you John.) We also had a complimentary bottle of wine with our dinner which was not part of the package. I can only guess this was complimentary due to my partners birthday which was a lovely touch. As for the Knickor Bocker Glory it came in the traditional ice glass and the exact recipe which we both remembered when we were children. It was fabulous. thank you to the chef/chefs organising this treat for my partner it was a total surprise to him.

I would say this was one of our best weekends ends away together and I would recommend this hotel and the package as it was very good value for money.

Room Tip: We had a king size room and the bed was very comfortable.
Dear guest
Thank you for your lovely comments, I am delighted to note that we were able to provide you with your partner's favourite dessert, and I will ensure your thanks are passed to all concerned. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at sometime in the future. Sam Aziz, General Manager
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had our wedding at Alveston Manor over Easter 2014. We chose this hotel as we love the location, and when we have visited the staff are always welcoming and keen to assist in any way they can.

We had a mixture of rooms for members of friends and family all of which were clean, comfortable and as expected. The food in the restaurant was wonderful, covering evening meals, breakfasts and also our wedding breakfast. We have also attended Christmas Day lunch here and the food is always of a consistently high standard.

The staff have been with us throughout our wedding journey and made the occasion very relaxed and enjoyable, keeping us informed throughout the weekend and also being on hand upon request, including through all the planning and many discussions!

We would definitely stay at the hotel again, and visit for afternoon tea/meals when in Stratford Upon Avon.

The only let down we could say is the Spa, if this was of the same standard as the rest of the hotel and staff it would be a thumbs up all round, but as we did not specifically book this hotel based on the Spa in our experience we have discounted that and focused purely on what mattered to us.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Hi,
I stayed at the hotel as part of a hen party this weekend, and just wanted to say what a lovely hotel, great food & a fab team of staff you guys have there!
Oliver in the spa was really accommodating for us making everyone feel like they were a vip client & the spa treatments were brilliant, all the girls enjoyed them.
Also Katie in the bar was really attentive to us during lunch & well as Michael who told us about spooky happenings in the hotel.
We are definitely planning when we can visit again and make the most of our time.
Thanks Guys.
Gemma

Room Tip: We stayed at the rooms towards the back of the hotel near to the spa so we didnt here too much noise...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
England
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here 5 years ago and it was fantastic. This time it was ok. The receptionist whisked me through at top speed and must have spent only 2 minutes checking me in. No information was given regarding breakfast, morning papers, wake up calls, dinner, etc. I was left struggling with my suitcase up various steps within the hotel to my room and hadn't been told an easier route to the room from outside around the back of the hotel through the Spa entrance (no steps encountered). The room was ok. Definitely needs a refurb. The face cloths had been used - not pleasant to see. The air con wasn't the easiest to figure out. Plenty of hanging space and good lighting.
Whilst I was in the hotel I heard comments amongst the staff regarding staffing issues which was not very professional considering I was at the other end of the room. There was a definite lack of staff which unfortunately caused some residents to complain about the length of time they had had to wait for their drinks or meals. The gardens are well kept and good parking - go round the back if you can't park out the front. As I say, it was ok - just not fantastic.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry if you felt that the hotel had lost some of its sparkle, our apologies for any shortfall in customer care on this occasion. We have recently invested considerably in the Alveston Manor with the refurbishment of public areas and enhancement of the exterior and grounds, we hope that this will continue for the forseeable future.
We take on board all of your comments which will be discussed with all departments, to ensure improvements in the future. Sam Aziz, General Manager
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I booked an overnight spa stay for my mom and I. It was a treat for her birthday, I am so glad that I did. I do not have anything bad to say, the hotel was lovely, all of the staff were really friendly and the food was excellent. The spa treatments and atmosphere was really relaxing and the staff were really lovely. I will definitely be booking again. I honestly can not see how anyone could not enjoy every aspect of this hotel.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such excellent feedback, I am delighted that you and your mum enjoyed your Spa Day, and thank you for your kind comments about the staff and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back. Sam Aziz, General Manager