“Very Disappointing - Hotel in Poor Condition”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing - Hotel in Poor Condition”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel looked very nice on their website and in a perfect location. On arrival at the hotel it looked really nice and as we were walking to our room the hotel initially looked very nice, full of character. However, the further we walked back towards our room however, I began to become disappointed. The halls became very weary looking and in need of a serious facelift. The carpets were old and tatty, there were lots of marks on the walls and many of the doors had chips, dents and generally looked like the cleaning carts had been rammed into them to keep them open each morning. When we got to our room, although decorated nicely, was very small, easily the smallest double room I've every been in. I couldn't open the door to the locker even half way to get the kettle and tea out as it was hitting the end of the bed.

The room had blackout curtains which were rendered useless by the fact that the bathroom door was hung so badly that it was over an inch out of line letting in a lot of light from about 5am.

I had booked this hotel as a treat for my girlfriend's 30th birthday and was very disappointed. I took a walk back to the pool and the condition of the corridor deteriorated the further I got towards the rear of the hotel. It needs a huge amount of redecorating to market itself as a manor type of hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conork2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Glasgow
Reviewed 2 July 2014

It occurred to me that although we frequently stay in Macdonald Group hotels I have only once before reviewed one. I think this is because I have come to expect a certain standard which never disappoints and have come to take for granted. Alveston Manor is a beautiful historic building, full of character, although the majority of the bedrooms and the lovely spa and swimming pool are new and extremely modern and comfortable, something that this hotel group seem to be so good at. Hotels with style and character but with all mod cons.
The staff were lovely, well trained and extremely efficient and our room was spotless, comfortable and well appointed.
Dinner was excellent, obviously prepared with love and care, and some lovely choices available. The restaurant was extremely busy, owing to the fact that a very large party of Japanese visitors were clearly having such a wonderful time they wanted their dinner time to last, but the restaurant manager apologised for being a little behind schedule and brought us a lovely selection of breads and oil to nibble on while we waited although we had not actually noticed that we were behind schedule. The waiter recommended a lovely wine and although we are quite knowledgeable about wines and generally make our own selection new decided to go with his recommendation and it complemented our meal beautifully. The breakfast the next day was fabulous as is the case in all Macdonald hotels with loads of choice and all expertly prepared. I am only sorry we could only stay one night and was even more sorry that we had spent the previous night in a very inferior establishment!
The hotel is in an ideal location for all amenities in Stratford upon Avon being so near the centre of town, and I would highly recommend it as a base for exploring that area

Room Tip: We had a standard room in the modern block but there are some amazing looking feature rooms in the o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
wrexham
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and myself love visiting Stratford, and have been on several occasions.We also enjoy staying at Macdonald hotels, and have stayed at many throughout the UK. They offer a comfortable standard of bedroom and a good level of service.This was our second visit to Alveston Manor, and it was an enjoyable one. Upon arrival, the receptionist was helpful and efficient. The bedroom we were allocated was in the Warwick wing, and was of a good standard, nice comfortable king size bed, some room to sit and all the facilities you would expect. Breakfast offers a large selection of choice from a continental self service buffet, to a cooked to order hot food breakfast, all served at a good standard.My wife was booked in for a spa treatment in Vital, which is on site. She frequently enjoys massages, and commented to me that the massage she received was very good and relaxing. The treatment areas are clean and comfortable. My only negative comment about Alveston Manor, is that the corridors are in need of a little makeover, nothing was a disaster but it is starting to look a bit tired.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Arranged a short weekend break having stayed in the Manor before we were quite happy to stay again. No room in the 'Annexe' so we opted for the main building. Room 15 is on the front of the building, AC refused to work, small room (but then it is an old building) bathroom was atrocious must have been there since Shakespear's time. There was a completely, unacceptable rusty patch in the bath. How anybody would have a bath in it was beyond us. My partner chased down an alternative and rejected another room for the same reasons, a rusty patch in the bath. Do housekeeping not report these things? It was not an overnight happening! Eventually opted for an upgrade into a suite. This was more like it.

Breakfast good, staff all good, except for the lame excuse on the bath inadequacy. Bar expensive.

Room Tip: Do not take room 15, opt for a room in the new (ish) wing these are more modern and acceptable.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed in in the Macdonald Alveston Manor on my first night after arriving in the UK. The location is perfect--just across the river from much of the main area of town. The room I booked--just a standard room--was kind of small, and even though the hotel was not booked, my daughter and I were put (literally) in the room furthest away from reception. I was in a boot because of an ankle issue, so the walk to the opposite end of the hotel seemed unnecessary. The staff were friendly, but not overly so. I would recommend the hotel for its location, but it was not what I expected for this hotel chain. Our luggage did not arrive with us, and when I asked the reception desk for any toiletries, I was told we could purchase things at the spa (although not a toothbrush). As previous travelers have noted, the rooms toward the end of the hotel are rather tired and out of date. If you look at the pictures on the hotel's website, you might easily get sucked into thinking you'll be staying in very nice, luxurious room. I am sure you pay for that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Kent
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend on a dinner bed and breakfast basis. Lovely hotel in a great location just across the river from beautiful Stratford upon Avon. Before dinner we went to the spa. The pool was not very inviting and the sauna and steam room needed updating although we did use the facilities and felt all the better for it. Dinner was very good and the staff attentive. Following a good nights sleep we were looking toward to a hearty breakfast and it didn't disappoint. Great selection and all well cooked and presented. All in all a nice break and we will probably return sometime soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
pixiejoyce
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Pictures are beautiful, great Location, good pool facilities but that's about it. I stayed here two weeks ago for my wedding Anniversary and didn't want to kick up a fuss and ruin our mini break by moaning, But would like to prepare future guests of the reality of this beautiful building.

To start, guest have to pay for parking within the hotel car park which is not reimbursed. Our Standard double was below par than a Premier Inn, the bathroom was tired looking with chips in the bath enamel and general tired decoration throughout bathroom and bedroom. The double bed was comfy but seemed to be two singles loosely fixed together so therefore moved separately. Breakfast was very steeply priced at £17.50 per person, after paying for a very average room for £130 per night we decided to pop to the supermarket and buy our own continental breakfast the night before ready for the morning. We took our own bottle of champagne to dink in our room and was shocked to find that the wine bucket left for convenience cost £5 to fill with ice.

Like most beautiful old hotels the picture you see on the web page are the few manor rooms decked out in full glory for honeymoon suites and top end priced executive rooms, but the majority of the guests are placed down a long corridor which leads to the poor 80's extension and feels very far removed from the original manor house that you fell in love with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple