“Prepare to be disappointed”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Prepare to be disappointed”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel is beautifully situated in a prime location with well tended grounds . However once past the elegant facade you are faced with miles of drab brown corridors leading to drab ,dark and shabby rooms
My main complaint was that ,when booking ,I had requested a firm bed as I have a bad back .When I discovered that my bed was soft ...mattress Possibly well past it's best ...I returned to reception only to be told with an Indifferent shrug ,that all the beds were the same .I do
feel that if you are invited to state special requests it is only fair to say if they cannot be met .
Although I had invited a friend to join me for dinner we went elsewhere as the menu was very uninspiring .So I cannot comment on the food .As breakfast is an extra £15 and I only want toast and coffee this seemed steep .so I also went out for breakfast .
The only positive is the pool area,,.clean ,good temperature and friendly staff .my general view is that this hotel promises much more than it delivers .
N

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Maureen H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Grabbed a mid-week break for two of us on a Clubcard deal. Gorgeous looking building, a stone's throw from the river and the town centre. Location is ideal. Staff were very friendly, we had a problem with the shower door and they fixed it fairly quickly. Breakfasts were excellent - we even ordered room service on the last morning! Cheaper rooms are at the back of the hotel but that didn't cause any problems - the rooms were clean, tidy and a reasonable size. The bed was just to die for, if we could have fitted it into the suitcase we'd have bought it back with us. Also used the pool facilities whilst there, no complaints - clean, tidy and nice and quiet. We ate in town both nights and there is plenty of choice for all tastes - unless you fancy Chinese food as we did one night in which case it seems Stratford Upon Avon doesn't have any takeaways or restaurants! Was a great hotel break for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Cheaper rooms tend to be in the annexe at the rear but these are still good-sized rooms and very tid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

First impressions are fabulous. From all the photos you can see this is a beautiful red brick tudor building and the public rooms have the character you would expect. However, unless you have paid top dollar don't expect the same with the bedrooms!! After a VERY long walk up a galley corridor (so long we could have been in a different postcode...) we were met with a run of the mill, and a little tired around the edges, standard modern room. From the gardens at the back of the buildings you realise that in the 60/70's someone thought it would be a good idea to add on an ugly motel style extension...You don't expect wooden beams etc but if you are going to do modern rooms they need to be modern, but in keeping with the feel of the place. Breakfast was very good and made to order rather than buffet style. This did cause a bit of a wait but it came out hot and just how you like it. However, the pastries on the buffet section were stale. We ate in town at night as there is a wide selection of fine eateries to choose from and considerably better value than the restaurant. We did treat ourselves to a night cap in the bar but make sure you brace yourself for the bill. All in all we had a great break but feel the hotel is still living on past glory rather than keeping up with similar hotels in an extremely competitive market place. There are plenty of hotels at a similar price point in Stratford that would beat this experience easily.

• Stayed March 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I am giving this lovely hotel five stars for the stunning Tudor manor that it is with really beautiful and beautifully kept grounds. Although we were given a room in the annexe at the back, it was more than adequate with one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Yes, we did have to walk through quite long corridors to get there, and yes, they could have done with a bit of a makeover, but that in no way detracted from the charm and comfort of the hotel. which I thought was really well kept and very clean. As we only stayed for one night we didn't eat there and so cannot comment on the food.

The hotel is only a couple fo minutes walk from the centre of town and so is ideally placed.

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed as part of a package for the British Grand Prix, so the hotel was arranged by the tour company. The first impressions are excellent as it is a beautiful building, full of character, and just on the outskirts of the town. Check-in was friendly and efficient. The car parking fee does not apply to hotel guests, so no complaints there. Our room was located in the newer extension at the back, as we expected. It was a good size with comfortable furnishings. It is a little dated, especially the bathroom, but everywhere was spotlessly clean. There is a flat screen TV, large wardrobe, good sized fridge etc, and tea and coffee making facilities. We enjoyed the free Wi Fi. The drinks at the bar were expensive, but hotels like this always charge a premium. We ate in the restaurant twice and the food was mainly excellent. Real fine dining, with a good menu choice. It is not cheap but we thought it was good value for the quality. We used our Taste Card for 50% off the food prices so it made it extremely affordable. The service was not quite up to scratch, the staff seemed quite new and inexperienced. They were generally friendly and tried to be helpful but more training is needed. It seemed as though they are not as good as they think they are, or are trying to be. We had a problem with one of our meals and this was rectified well, eventually. The other point about the restaurant is it is very quiet, almost a bit stuffy. That's not a complaint, as it's fine for a romantic dinner but not very lively. We ate out one evening because we felt like going somewhere with a bit more atmosphere. The hotel is well situated as it is a short walk over the bridge into the town centre where there are several good pubs and restaurants. The breakfasts were good - we didn't have the full breakfast most mornings as we had early starts to get to Silverstone, but the buffet choice was excellent. The spa / fitness centre was very good with a nice pool and steam room etc but we were a bit disappointed there is no Jacuzzi / whirlpool. Overall a good 4 star experience, we would stay there again if ever in Stratford.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlobetrottersKent
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

For a £190 per night per couple we were expecting better than what we were first given. The first room dingy, dirty and had no character at all and let's not forget the rusty bath. Dirty marked light switches, view unacceptable and the health hazard rusty bath, I would not wash my pet dog in this bath if I had one. When my wife complained about this utterly unacceptable room we were moved to the Queen Anne suite which was perfect and rightly so, this is what we would expect for the money we were paying. The price of the food in the hotel is what I would say way over the top.£4.55 for a cup of tea in the bar and £18 for afternoon tea. It amazes me that somebody could charge £4.55p for a tea bag and hot water. This hotel must cater for the overseas visitor certainly not for an average person like myself. Will I return NO NO NO, once bitten twice shy.

Room Tip: Check the room before you unpack
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JimM311
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel looked very nice on their website and in a perfect location. On arrival at the hotel it looked really nice and as we were walking to our room the hotel initially looked very nice, full of character. However, the further we walked back towards our room however, I began to become disappointed. The halls became very weary looking and in need of a serious facelift. The carpets were old and tatty, there were lots of marks on the walls and many of the doors had chips, dents and generally looked like the cleaning carts had been rammed into them to keep them open each morning. When we got to our room, although decorated nicely, was very small, easily the smallest double room I've every been in. I couldn't open the door to the locker even half way to get the kettle and tea out as it was hitting the end of the bed.

The room had blackout curtains which were rendered useless by the fact that the bathroom door was hung so badly that it was over an inch out of line letting in a lot of light from about 5am.

I had booked this hotel as a treat for my girlfriend's 30th birthday and was very disappointed. I took a walk back to the pool and the condition of the corridor deteriorated the further I got towards the rear of the hotel. It needs a huge amount of redecorating to market itself as a manor type of hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank conork2014

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels