“Really helpful staff”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Really helpful staff”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

After reading some earlier reviews we were a little worried we may have chosen the wrong hotel as we were staying with twins just turning two. However the staff really helped where they could to make our stay restful and enjoyable and we really rated this hotel and would stay again. Grounds beautiful, pool and spa relaxing and whole hotel has atmospheric and historic ambience with wooden panelling and beams. Staff provided high chairs, heated milk, seated us away from other guests - much to everyone's relief and never made us feel we were a nuisance when requesting help.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the restaurant and bar as it is quite a walk if mobility poor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed on the 7th august before a day at warwick castle on our way back up north from Dorset! It's a beautiful hotel, gorgeous food and full of character! The room was lovely we stayed in room 201 at the back if the hotel. It was lovely and quiet and very clean. However, due to miscommunication there was a bit of confusion for evening meals. I read in the room that dinner is served till 9:30pm (we arrived at the hotel at 8:45pm) once checked in and changed I asked at reception if we were still able to go for dinner (9:10pm) we were told yes no problem. We went into the restaurant and were told they stopped serving food at 9pm, I explained that the lady on the desk had said we could still have a table, and the waitress went and asked the chef if this was okay (it was, thankfully as we were both starving by this point). The evening meal was amazing! And we didn't feel rushed either which was nice :) needless to say we really enjoyed our stay and would probably stay again in the future!

Room Tip: Where we were was lovely and quiet, but I think all the Rooms would be the same as it is a quiet hot...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for one night with your three year old daughter. All the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Help was offered before you requested it.
The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. There were lots of nice touch's which made a real difference. We requested some fresh milk for our tea from room service and only waited a couple of minutes before it arrived.
We had requested an extra bed for our daughter. We were given a room which still left us plenty of room even with an extra single bed.
Breakfast was very well set out and delicious. The waitress who served us was helpful and efficient. We were made to feel that any request would be no problem.
It is quite expensive, but this hotel is worth every penny!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Even though this hotel is old, it still has the high quality art. This hotel is surrounded by beautiful garden and also a stream of a pretty river. There are some apple trees around it. The room is wide and comfortable. The staffs are friendly and willing to help. The breakfast is complete and pretty. It really balanced between the cost and the service that we get. Really suitable for families.

Stayed July 2014
Preston
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at the hotel many times now, and I have to say it never disappoints.

The rooms are clean and well maintained. The hotel itself is located perfectly for it is only a short walk into the main part of Stratford.

The only downfall for our stay on this particular occasion was the hotel restaurant. Previously we had never eaten in the restaurant but decided to on this occasion. We won't be doing so again. The food is way over priced and neither me nor my boyfriend enjoyed a single course. The starter, which was soup, was bland and the main had over seasoned meat with over cooked veg and lumpy mash. The wine however was lovely. No one questioned why we had eaten so little, which only seem to confirm that the poor food was accompanied by poor service. (Which I think was the result of inadequate training - I saw at least one other table dissatisfied with there food and the staff seemed perplexed as to how to handle the situation).

I would recommend the hotel, just not the restaurant.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I am the owner of a travel organization and I travel throughout the world for my business as a tour escort and guide. My experience at the Alveston Manor Hotel owned by the Macdonald group of hotels was nothing short of disasterous.

The restaurant staff is incredibly uneducated on how to treat patrons. Without going into each and every detail, let me say that you will do better to dine in some of the restaurants in town rather than have dinner in their restaurant.

The outside of the hotel is stunning, the lawns manicured, the flower gardens full and colorful, however once you cross through the doors your expectations quickly diminish. The rooms are located in what I would call the maze from hell. You will find yourself walking down hallways, up staircases, around corners, down steps, and to another long hall way before coming to your room. Small, with very little to offer in amenities, no internet working, and very paper thin walls. (I listened to a couple argue on one side of the room and had a person hard of hearing on the other side blasting the television.)

The front desk staff was nowhere to be found the three times I went to see them. I literally had to go looking for them.

My group were treated like second class citizens.

Because I have a few other groups coming to Stratford Upon Avon next year, I went out looking for another hotel. Thank God the Holiday Inn was close. Lovely looking, well appointed rooms and lounges and the staff treated me better as a visiting guest than the Alveston Manor did the entire two days I was there.

In my opinion you should pass on staying with this property. It is nice looking on the outside but a disaster once you walk through the doors and stay there. FIND ANOTHER HOTEL!!

Room Tip: Book at another hotel....
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Craftours

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great location. Spacious room. No elevator in bldg. No clock in the rooms. Staff was hard to work with.
Breakfast was awful and we waited 30 minutes to be served.Dinner was mediocre.
We are in a group of 26 and were treated like second class citizens.
Never again here!