“Amazing room (QE2 suite), great staff and excellent location. Food was gorgeous”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in the Queen Elizabeth 2nd suite. the room was amazing and immaculate, with bottled mineral water complimentary. Although the website advertises a private terrace, it was very close to a communal area which, whilst we were staying was not used but I would imagine that in Summer would not be as private as advertised and also had a clear view into the corridor in the main hotel. Was lovely to have though as we are both smokers. There were a few extra touches that made our stay that bit more special...the concierge was very helpful and staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Fridge in room was useful but information pack had not been updated and was advertised as a mini bar. would probably not have paid for anything out of mini bar anyway as bar prices and lounge menu were very high. £7 for a yogurt!!!! More people would definitely have lunch there if the prices had been anywhere near reasonable. I can't quite fathom how a sandwich can be £13.50 and a burger £15? but we were offered free nibbles with our drinks which were lovely.
The restaurant staff were very accommodating (Slav, Rachel, Richard), agreeing to seat us even though service had officially ended. The food was some of the best I have had and definitely value for money, I had the confit goose leg and it was perfect. However, at the end of our meal all the other diners and staff had gone and a cleaning cloth had been left on another table which caught fire from a candle, luckily we saw this and extinguished the fire. Staff were very embarrassed and apologetic when they returned over 5 minutes later, the incident could have been much worse but was clearly an accident. I felt that a £13.50 charge plus £3 tray charge??? for breakfast room service was ridiculous considering what we had paid already and actually exceeded the cost of the breakfast. Breakfast was good with plenty of variety and clearly good ingredients.
There was an issue with the water whilst we stayed and we were informed after breakfast that we would have no water for 7 hours. They did offer us another room to take a shower in but a complimentary coffee would have been nice as we had no water to make some in our rooms. When we ran the shower on return there was filth coming out of it for more than 20 minutes and I did feel that I had been bathed in grit by the end of it. Really powerful shower though, was lovely when the water was clear! We should really have been informed of what the water would be like once it was back on.
The website says that we should have had slippers for our stay, a small thing but we didn't have and as it was advertised, I thought they should have been provided.
The info pack in the room stated that we could get discounted vouchers for Warwick castle at reception but the receptionist didn't seem to know anything about this and said it would probably work out more expensive due to VAT??!!
The log fires in bar area are stunning and it is a truly beautiful building which is well maintained, but I think that (especially since it was Autumn) the fires should have been lit every night. There was a large party in the function suite and a particularly difficult customer one evening but the service to staying guests did not appear to be compromised and staff acted very professionally.
I have noted other eveiwers comment on the nationality of staff but whilst there were quite a few non english staff, we had no problem understanding or being understood by anyone and they were all very pleasant and helpful.
The pool area is fantastic and open late which was nice when you have been out all day.
The good far outweighed the negative things about our stay, they were small things that could be easily remedied and whilst the building is fairly ancient, it did not feel stuffy or unwelcoming. I coukld happily move in tomorrow!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andreaphilbin1

Reviewed 25 October 2009

I stayed for one night for a 2 day work meeting which was being held in the meeting rooms there. The hotel is apparently one of their flagship hotels, but as is the norm with Macdonald Hotels, it needs some serious money spent on it. I would not recommend the meeting rooms for long stay training course events because they are not functional enough for that, they would probably be okay for a short couple of hours meeting. General food and drinks (lunch/snacks etc) for the duration of the event was very poor and trying to locate staff for assistance proved to be quite difficult. We had a buffet lunch which was fine, plenty of choice, although the salads looked a bit worse for wear. Breakfast was edible but service was once again poor and tables were left dirty for long periods of time, even though it wasn't busy, so it appeared that the staff weren't doing anything.
We had a few drinks at the bar which was terribly overpriced and service was poor so we ventured out to other outlets nearby.
My room felt like it was 2 blocks away, in a maze of twists and turns throughout the hotel, which you get with older hotels. The room however was clean, tidy and functional and was fine for a stayover.
Unfortunately we go to Stratford Upon Avon for work meetings, so will have to stay again, but this is not out of choice!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Myself and a close friend stayed at the Alveston Manor for just one night last week. We hardly experienced it at all; but I overheard a group of men passing on praise to the receptionist after they had attended a wedding at the hotel - and she cheekily asked them if they could put it on Trip Advisor; so I thought I'd jump on that bandwagon!

We had actually been transferred here after our room at the Crow's Nest across the road flooded! Even though the room here would have cost more, they wavered this due to the transfer being out of our control.

We were staying over for a wedding nearby and they let us check in after midnight with no problems. The reception staff, both at check-in and check-out, were very friendly and professional.

The room itself was very, very small - just room for a double bed and a few small pieces of furniture. As it was a free upgrade from a 'lesser' hotel, we really didn't mind. I definitely would not be happy if I'd paid more than £65 for that room though. It was also overlooking the back of the hotel, at some kind of mobile building and bins, etc.

The room was very comfortable, cosy and warm. It had a bit of a musty smell - but it is an old building! Even though the A. Manor is a traditional hotel, our room did not have any gaudy floral wallpaper or bedding - it was just classic. The bed was so comfortable - it reminded me of being little and staying at my Grandma's house, with lots of soft, heavy blankets and big, feather-stuffed pillows!

My only gripe would be the bathroom. The tile grouting had seen better days and it just felt a little old and in need of a revamp. I'm a city girl and used to clean, urban lines and pretty modern hotels. I wouldn't usually choose to stay in a traditional hotel such as Alveston Manor - but that is just personal preference. My Grandma would probably love it!

My only other negative point would be that this is a very costly hotel to stay at. A bottle of Singha beer and Disaronno and coke cost over £10.... even more expensive than some of the wine bars in the city I live in!

I would say that this hotel would probably suit those who enjoy large, traditional hotels. The atmosphere is a tad stuffy and Middle English for me - but the staff I met during my very brief visit were surprisingly personable; which is a rarity for so many hotels.

If you're torn between a smaller hotel and the Alveston Manor and there's only £20 or so between them, pick the Alveston!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Location excellent for walking into Stratford. All five rooms were good and the staff pleasant. Our party was easily accommodated in the restaurant and we enjoyed both evening meals and breakfasts. It would have been nice if the evening menu had been different on the two nights. Pool excellent. Admittedly if your room was located on the rabbit run to the leisure centre then it would have been noisy. There were a few noisy children but parents should have been responsible for these, not the staff. We booked this hotel after visiting it a few months ago to see if it was suitable for our celebration and it was the friendliness of the staff who showed us a room and all around the hotel and leisure centre that impressed us. The staff were not all English, but they were most polite and efficient.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank AJSTJ
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Arrived on the 26th Sept for what should have been a two day break to celebrate my birthday . Food gross Room needed some attention Cobwebs hanging from ceiling.We left early the next morning.no point in complaining most of the staff could'nt speak english.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I don't often write reviews but my experience here was the worst I have had in a while in a hotel. I stayed with my wife and also booked in my mother who had just arrived from the US. We were hoping for arelaxing time but this did not ensue.
My mother was kept up with children running up and down the corridor outside her room. We had asked for a non-smoking room but were in aroom where the ventilation pulled in smoke from the outside area. Breakfast was chaotic with little organisation and too many people in the restaurant with too few staff.
It appeared that the majority of staff were poorly trained. Initial complaints were met with a blank stare by the senior person in reception, with no offer to resolve the issues. The new general manager later met with me and offered to adjust the bill based on the fact that my mother had no sleep. I assumed he would remove the room charge for thatr night but was surprised to see a 5% reduction in our bill at the end.
There were insufficient toiletris and towels in our room. On one day, towels were left for our room on the floor of the corridor outside. Toilet paper was not replenished. Complaints about this led to the offer of a bottle of wine - conditional on eating in their restaurant with the subsequent bill.
All in all, not apleasant experience, particularly as my mother was further disturbed by car doors slamming just outside her bedroom window early on the last morning of our stay.
Filling in acomplaints form has not led to any further communication,in spite of the GM assuring me he has arrived with guest service as his highest priority. All I can say is he has a lot of sorting out to do.
On the positive side we met one waiter at breakfast who was truly helpful.
The final straw came when I was informed that there was an additional charge for using a credit card to settle my bill. I protested that I had never come upon this in a 4* hotel anywhere else in the world. His response was to tell me that they had kindly let me off the extra charge for checking out at 11.45am (official checkout time was 11am). I escaped as soon as possible in order to avoid further aggravation.
An experience not to be repeated - especially as it is not reasonably priced.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ProfW
Reviewed 1 September 2009

This was our fourth visit to this hotel and each time our experience has been delightful. A warm welcome at the reception, followed by an excellent dinner and their usual high standard of food at breakfast. Each stay was made more pleasant by the fact that they remember us each time, so it is like staying with old friends. Perfect venue if you are visiting the Courtyard theatre.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple