“Highly Recommended”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We were recommended this hotel by friends and it did not dissapoint, the hotel has great character and is very well located.
On arrivel our check-in was quick and welcoming, we were offered assistance to our room of which we declined as the room was not far away, of which was pleasant and comfortable.
The hotel and its restaurant were busy, however still maintaned a relaxed feel with the staff coping very well and were very friendly.

We had a great time and would cirtainly return if in the area in the future!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Wales
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My First visit to Stratford and had a great time, the hotel was of a good quality with great attentive staff who couldn't have been more helpful, Hotel set in lovely grounds with good leisure facilities and an excellent busy restaurant serving great food.
The rooms were clean with all the usual amenities you can expect in a good hotel and only a short walk into the heart of stratford.
All in all a great time and happy to revisit again

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
southwest
Reviewed 9 March 2010

The Alveston manor hotel is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, the staff are very freindly and went out of there way to make our stay very special.
From the Moment we arrived to the moment we left, our every wish was catered for. We recommened the Restuarant, great value for money and a good selection of food, the steaks are out of this world.
The leisure club and spa are very relaxing and the staff very freindly and helpfull, one of the staff went out of his way to show us how all the equipment worked.
We can not wait to return in the summer and will be taking my parents to enjoy another great weekend. A big thankyou to the manager and his team for whta was a great stay at a wonderfull hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Northampton
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We stayed at this hotel thinking it would be a really luxourious break at a top class hotel, well sadly that really isnt the case. The room was tired and worn, the bathroom was not cleaned well at all and there was some areas with mould growing. Most dissapointing was the fact that we were told the restaurant was full so we had to go out. when we passed the restaurant on our way back in it was only a third full!!! i did complain and they said there had been a misunderstanding??? how can you misunderstand 'i would like a table for dinner' Avery poor hotel with very high costs.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taraki
verona54, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor, I am sorry you were disappointed to find that we were unable to take a reservation for dinner, and apologise if there was any misunderstanding; we do, of course, wish to accommodate all of those guests who want to dine with us, and will look again at our booking policy.
Thank you for highlighting the issues with your room, thus giving us the opportunity to put a maintenance plan into place.
We aspire to delivering a high quality of customer service at all times and assure you that all feedback is acted upon.

Travellers are raving about these Stratford-upon-Avon hotels

Herefordshire
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My Wife and I had to visit Stratford upon Avon for a business trip. As it was also our 24th Wedding Anniversary we decided to book what we thought would be a good standard hotel.
On arrival we asked the rate for one of their exec rooms and having agreed a rate for B&B duly booked.
On walking endless corridors we eventually reached our room.( no offer of assistance with our bags when checking in.)
The room was basic and tired,overlooking what seemed to be a staff car park.
I returned to reception and explained that I was dissapointed and could we have another room, only to be advised that I would have to pay extra to upgrade.
I was then taken to room 8 by a different member of staff and told this was the special room of the hotel, with views over the front gardens. the room had a small lounge, a fourposter bed and bathroom with over bath shower. I had to ask reception to equip the room for two people as it was set up for a single person. They had not done this automatically when we left to go out to eat.
Because it was a special occassion I negotiated a slight reduction on the quoted rate of £185. I got the rate down to £150.00 to include breakfast.
We enquired about booking for dinner in the restaurant and were given two times neither of which were suitable for us so we ate out.
on return after a long day we relaxed and then turned in to sleep around 11pm.
At 11.30 there was a loud noise below that disturbed our sleep however this continued and at 12.30am I rang the night Porter to complain.
It transpired that there was a corporate group booked in who were intent on being very loud and rowdy, with a fair amount of swearing.
I again rang the night porter at around 1.15am who told me he had spoken to the guests.
The noise continued until around 2am.
Having had a very disturbed nights sleep I went to check out and when asked if everything was ok during our stay I informed her that it wasn't . The receprionist then called the Duty Manager and dissapeared.
Having relayed the facts to the Duty Manager in the lounge area at 8.30am amidst the half empty beer pitchers that were spread around with the nights dirty glasses, he told me he was aware of some of the facts as the night porter had written up his log.
It transpired that he had spoken to them but they had been abusive back to him.
I asked for a reduction on the bill and was told that"I had already negotiated the price down from published rack rate.
So finally the Duty Manager reduced the bill by taking off the cost of Breakfast.
We left extremely dissapointed with our stay, and with the feeling the staff were not bothered about returning customers.
Moral of story, there are other excellent hotels in Stratford upon Avon, use them! Alternatively don't get ripped off for room 8 which is directly over the guest lounge!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank peterHerefordshire
GMAlveston, Steven General manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2010
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. We aspire to deliver 100% guest service at all times, not an easy target, but that is what keeps me and my team focused. We are going to act on your comments and will take you feedback about noise from other guests detracting from your comfortable stay. We hope that you wll perhaps return to the hotel and give us the opportunity to restore your faith, sometime in the future.
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I booked the hotel as part of my boyfriends 40th birthday and whilst the facilities & hotel looked impressive on the website, we were somewhat rather disappointed when we got there.

The receptionist was rather abrupt and unwelcoming when we got there, when we were given our room the bathroom smelled like it had been cleaned with a dirty damp cloth, there were reminants of previous guests drinks in the fridge which had not been emptied, the furniture was dusty and did not look like it had seen any polish let alone been cleaned.

Despite repeated notification from my partner that he was expecting a hire car to be delivered, when it arrived the receptionist turned the company away causing further frustration.

The room we stayed in woul, in my view struggle to meet 3-star standards. It was my first stay at a Macdonald Hotel and would be very reluctant to stay again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geordie123_10
GMAlveston, general manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2010
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. We strive to deliver 100% guest service everytime, not an easy target, but that is what keeps us focused. We are going to act on your comments, Have implemented Committment to Excellence customer care training session with reception team to ensure that all of our guests receive the very warmest of welcomes, which the Alveston Manor is renowned for. We do hope that on your next visit to the Alveston Manor, you will see a marked improvement on the welcome you receive.
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.
barnet. england
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This hotel is very well located next to the river and so walking around the historic town centre, the bed and pillows were first rate and the breakfast waiter ( he looked about 14 ) was amusing and efficient, and the flat screen TV in the bedroom was on a useful turntable; however, the list of channels in the room guide was out of date.

Apart from those good points ( doubtless there are more but in one night you cannot find them all ), the rest of the hotel was average to poor.

The welcome was brusque, the corridors are tired and dull and the room itself is also a bit drab. The shower is either quite hot or freezing cold which isn't terribly helpful. The bath was chipped and starting to rust ( at least it was steel !)

We were part of a group of 24 enjoying a dinner together. We had all pre-ordered our meals from four choices of starter, main, dessert so it was as easy for the chef as it could be. Even so the vegetarian main course provided was not the one which was ordered. We were only allocated one waitress for the private room we were dining in so she was pretty stretched. She did her best but just keeping up with the speed the wine was consumed was proving too much for the poor girl and that is down to poor management and not to her. The hotel has one AA Rosette which every hotel that doesn't have 2 or 3 rosettes appears to be allocated = meaningless.

One starter of pate was described as regurgitated cat food ( not what you want to hear at dinner time I know ) my tomato soup didn't taste homemade, my partner's melon was too hard to eat in part and the parma ham it came with was just a tiny sliver. My main course Salmon fish cake was a little wet in texture, there were no potatoes with it of any sort, just the same communal vegetables as the roast beef eaters received, my partner thought her fish cake was too salty, the yorkshire puddings were too hard to eat. The chocolate dessert was rather small; it certainly left you wanting more ( Oliver! ). A sticky toffee pudding came without cream, ice-cream or custard ( a jug of custard was produced by our poor waitress after some good natured banter ) and the recipient is a big fan of sticky toffee pudding and chose to leave it after only one bite.

If you then repair to the bar you find that you need a mortgage to buy drinks. A small ( 250 or 330ml ) bottle of Old Speckled Hen will set you back £4.25 - its enough to turn you to drink.

No-one was banging on the breakfast room door at 7am needless to say, and I think the whole hotel ( full ) must have arrived for breakfast at 9.30 as there was a large group of people in the freezing corridor just before the 10am closing time who had to wait. Once seated the full English breakfast was fine.

Our group's stay was also marred by one couple's room being broken into from the ground floor window and their valuables nicked. There is not a safe in the room; in supposedly 4 start hotel - ridiculous. The local police emerge with top marks for being there inside an hour and back this morning to dust for fingerprints.

I hadn't been to Stratford upon Avon for over 20 years. If I go back it will not be to this hotel

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
GMAlveston, General manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2010
I was very disappointed to read that our ground floor rooms are at risk of burglary. Whilst I fully appreciate the feedback on this I can only assure you that the Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel has an impeccable record for ensuring that all of its guests have a safe and secure stay.
Sadly we were advised afer the incident to which you refer, that a number of hotels in the West Midlands area have been targeted over the last month, by a selfish band of criminals. We have as a matter of priority updated our security systesm, and as always we carry out regular patrols of our grounds and inside areas.

I would like to thank you for yuor additional feedback and the food and service during your stay. I can guarantee that these issues will be taken up with the relevant departments and re training given to ensure that our guests have a pleasant experience whilst at the hotel.
Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.