“Thank you Tescos!”

Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We used our Tesco Clubcard vouchers for a two night break at the Alveston Manor. We were delighted to find that we had been upgraded to an executive suite. The suite was large but rather tired and faded. Breakfast was plentiful but stodgy and service rather regimental. Whilst we enjoyed ourselves very much I would not have wanted to pay normal rates but if I had more Tesco vouchers I would not hesitate to return.

1  Thank SandieR
Write a ReviewReviews (2,503)

Reviewed 5 July 2010

After reading the reviews were very really looking forward to our stay at Alveston Manor but we were sorely disappointed. I cannot fault the staff, they were very nice it just seems we must have turned up on an off day and if it were just one or two little gripes I wouldn't bother writing this but it just seemed we ran into a catalogue of errors Our check-in was no problem and the receptionist was very friendly and polite which was a great start..... Then we arrived at our room and as per an earlier review, the room was a tired and jaded but on the upside it seemed clean and had aircon. We had a toddler with us and were delighted to see a fridge so we could store things for him but on closer inspection the fridge didn't work. Called reception to see if we could have it fixed and they said they would send someone to sort it out. After well over an hour of waiting and another two calls we decided to cancel the "call-out" as we wanted to get our son settled for the night and felt that someone coming in and repairing a fridge might be somewhat of a disturbance and I had actually kept our son up well over his bed time to accomodate a visit to fix the appliance which was a wasted exercise. She did offer to move us the next day but not much point in that when we were only staying the one night. However they were kind enough to bring us a jug of milk in the morning for our son. Then we called for room service and was told it would be in excess of an hour. After a long day travelling that was just too long to wait so my husband had to go out and find the nearest supermarket to buy supplies which was far from ideal. Bed was comfy and the pillows were good so we did have a restful night's sleep. Next day we went for breakfast and enjoyed that. Again the staff were very attentive and polite. The location of the hotel is great and we went to explore Stratford upon Avon. We came back to the hotel where our car was parked and decided to have lunch. There wasn't a huge selection of sandwiches and my husband ordered the cheese and pickle only to be told about 20 minutes after we placed the order that there was no pickle would just cheese be ok! We sat in the courtyard because it was a lovely day as did other diners but I don't know if that contributed to the fact that our order took an inordinate amount of time to arrive considering it was only two sandwiches, some french fries and a cream tea. My pot of tea arrived so far in advance of the scones that it had gone lukewarm by the time the scones turned up and I couldn't bear the thought of asking for another pot when this whole process had taken so long. And then to top it all off the scones were burnt and crusty on the top and soggy at the bottom so definitely doesn't rank in my top ten of cream teas. And at £8.50 I would expect something a little more delectable! We asked for mayo for the fries which suprisingly arrived quite promptly but also asked for sauce and that took so long to arrive the fries were cold. When you pay for a four star hotel am I wrong to expect a certain level of customer service and care? I know these are just little niggles and normally wouldn't bother me, but I think I had certain expectations of this hotel based on the price and reviews and these weren't matched by our experience. And I don't know where things went wrong as the staff were so lovely how could the service be so out of kilter?

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank MPCor
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2010

As the General Manager responsible for the hotel, I was very disappointed to read your comments, however, all feedback is valuable to us and thank you for taking the time to post your review. The hotel does strive to achieve one hundred percent customer satisfaction and my sincere apologies for any shortfall in standards during your stay. I would be very happy to discuss your stay with you personally, and please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel if you should wish to do so, in the meantime, I will certainly ensure that we address all of the issues raised.

On a positive note, thank you for your kind comments about the lovely staff.

kind regards, Steve, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2010

If Shakespeare had stayed at a hotel in his home town, he would probably have stayed here. The hotel is full of character features, from the interesting exterior, through to the romantic dining room and bar.

If you have a room in the old building, they are of very high standard, have character, too. The newer parts are just like any other hotel. The bathroom was as big as the bedroom and came with a selection of toiletries, dressing gown and slippers. The towels are large and luxurious. The bed linen clean and white. There are complimentary bottles of water, tea coffee and biscuits. There is a handy refrigerator, too. Air con was a must in June as the weather was so hot - hpwever, the old building was remarkable cool.

Excellent location for the town.

• Stayed: June 2010

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments about your stay at the Alveston Manor Hotel, it is really good to receive such positive feedback from our guests and I will pass your comments to my team, who pride themselves on offering excellent customer service to all of our gues

Reviewed 25 June 2010

This is one of our favourite hotels - the location is within easy reach of the town. The grounds are beautifully laid out, the staff are enthusiastic and friendly and the breakfast is always beautifully cooked and presented. In the evening, we ate at Bistro Pierre, which is the retaurant in the sister Macdonald hotel (the Swan's Nest) just across the road - highly recommended. A very good menu and reasonably priced compared with other restaurants in the area. The leisure facilities - large pool and gym and Spa - are well maintained.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
GMAlveston, General Manager at Macdonald Alveston Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Adviser. We aspire to delivering excellent customer service to our guests and it is good to receive such positive feedback

Reviewed 19 June 2010

Alveston Manor Hotel is ideally situated near to the river Avon and a five minute walk into town. It isa very impressive building and the bedrooms are full of character, and the ones we have seen are very spacious, and spotlessly clean.
Before we decided to get married here we visited a few times and were always impressed by the friendly and helpful staff, and the relaxed feeling in the hotel, it is definately a place to unwind. There is a spa , swimming pool and gym, which all look very nice ,I know some of our wedding guests enjoyed using these facilities.
Our wedding was brilliantly organised by the staff, they made the day run smoothly for us, and we did'nt have to worry about a thing every detail was taken care of , I can't praise them highly enough.
I would recommend Alveston Manor as a Wedding venue - the grounds are superb for photos, the food is excellent, and even if you are not planning to get married its a great place to stay we'll be back as soon as we can !

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2010

The staff at this hotel where beyond helpful, on arrival the conceirge came over to our car advised us to park at the reception area while we booked in. He then told us the best location to park withinn the grounds and then meet us there to help us unpack the car. This was most welcomed ecpecially as I had my three month old daughter with me, and had more than enough luggage.

On another occasion I was struggling to find my door key and again conceirge came and quickly openned the door for me.

We had a family room which was more than spacious as I had a moses basket and stand. The hotel was full of character and is walking distance to the town centre, theatre, Shakespeares attractions and a lovely Thai restaurant on the river bank.

We also used the swimming pool (my daughter's first swim) and the spa, both my partner and I had a massage which was superb. Again the staff where helpful and extremley polite, plus the spa itself was super relaxing and I think good value for money

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 June 2010

A short but sweet review of this hotel, it was a few weeks ago now since I stayed, however can still remember the fact that the hotel is in a lovely area - Stratgford On Avon is simply gorgeous, especially on a nice summers night, a walk along the river, the bars / restaurants etc are charming and very relaxing night out.

The hotel is set in immaculate grounds, its very well maintained and the staff at check in were superb, very efficient and knowledgeable. The cleaning staff etc all greeted me as i walked through the corridors and the restaurant was excellent quality, as was the full english breakfast. Again, service impeccable and highly recommended.

Plenty of parking, easy to find, great location - couldnt ask for anything more! I stayed on a business trip overnight, but this is definitely somewhere I would take the Mrs, in fact we're planning a return visit to this hotel.

Hopefully you'll enjoy as much as I did.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business