“Murder mystery weekend”

Best Western Grosvenor Hotel
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We went to the hotel for a murder mystery weekend. The hotel is well situated in the centre of town, only a few minutes walk from all amenities. The car park has about 50 spaces and fills quickly but once parked you do not need to move the car during your stay unless you are going out of town. It is very clean, welcoming and comfortable and the service is very good. The food was good quality and as we had booked on a murder mystery weekend we had set meals. I would definitely recommend this hotel, however if you prefer a quiet room I would recommend that you ask for a room on the top floor. There were a couple of Christmas parties during our stay and the rooms above the dance area could be a little noisy.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Murder Mystery weekends are becoming very popular. If you have time take a look at our website for 2013 dates.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 10 December 2012

All in all, I found the hotel very nice and comfortable. It was very convenient for shopping in Stratford, being perhaps only 5 minutes away from the shops. The breakfast was very nice, hot and well cooked. However, wasn't so pleased with either of the evening meals we had at the Murder Mystery night event. The pork belly I had was very tasty, but the carrots were raw. The same thing happened the following night. Someone suggested that the carrots could have been the murder weapon! Would stay there again though. Can't let a few carrots put you off!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Very pleased to see that you enjoyed you’re weekend, pleased to hear that the carrots did not kill your weekend!!!! I will have a chat with the Chef. The dates for next year’s Murder Mysteries are on our website now and very shortly the full calendar for other hotel events will be published.
Many Thanks

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Stayed here for 10 nights angst to know the staff pretty well. They were absolutely outstanding as was raw location. Parking was alirtlw tight but that just means you should got there earlier on a Friday night.
Superb experience I will return thanks guys.

• Stayed: November 2012
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

We greatly appreciate you comments, all the staff take great pride in what they do, we look forward to welcoming you back. Many thanks again.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on the 30th November. Took ages to book in as a large party had just arrived before us on a Murder Mystery weekend. By the time I got to speak to the receptionist I felt like participating and murdering someone! I must say the staff were very apologetic and polite and that's probably because most of them appeared to be foreign students.
I'll start with the negatives : the shower head was one of these Eco friendly types and could only produce a mere dribble. I'm all for saving the planet but give me a good power shower every time. Coupled with this the maximum permitted temperature for the shower / bath was barely warm. Again I appreciate health and safety but this was ridiculous. My wife decided to have a bath and by the time the water reached an appropriate level it was tepid at the best.
Minor cleanliness problems in that there was what appeared to be red varnish or candle wax stains on the toilet seat. My first thought it was blood but it still wasn't very nice. There was also a similar waxy blob on the bed cover at the foot of the bed.
I apologise for sounding like Victor Meldrew but I will come to some positives later. My wife and I decided to eat in the first night as friends of ours, who had stayed previously, had recommended the food. Unfortunately the staff seemed more preoccupied with the guests involved in the Murder Mystery weekend, so getting no joy with a request of staff regarding dining we left disgruntled and ate out! This leads to my final gripe. We popped into the busy bar for a nightcap. My wife ordered a brandy and lemonade. The dash of lemonade came from one of those multi pumps and cost me a whopping £1.50 as well as the expensive cost for cheap brandy. I expect hotels bars to be pricey but this was extortionate.
At last some positives: the hotel is only a short 5 min walk from the town centre, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good. Tea making facilities were present and replenished by cleaners.
My wife and I like Stratford and if we decide to return I may only consider using this hotel again if there is no Murder Mystery weekend going on. There again as a retired Police Officer I may even book for this event!

Room Tip: Heard from other guests that the executive rooms are very much better than the standard rooms but at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns.
On behalf of my entire team, I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations. At the Grosvenor we strive to provide a quality guest experience and I am extremely sorry we weren’t able to do this for you during your recent visit. I will be using your feedback to implement improvements to ensure we provide a better experience in the future.
I would love for you to return to the Grosvenor give me a call I am sure we can tempt you back.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We were bought a Groupon deal for lunch at this hotel as an anniversary present. We decided to have a drink at the bar before our meal which seemed to confuse the staff somewhat! Our bottle of wine was put on our table in a cooler with no offer to open it or for us to taste the wine as is customary. However things looked up when we were shown to the dining room where the food was very well presented and cooked. All three courses were of high quality and we could not find fault . The only faupas in the dining room was that our coffees got forgotten about but that was soon rectified. All in all a real treat of a lunch and we will be returning. We did not stay at the hotel as we live locally

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

So sorry that everything did not flow as it should have done. Chef and his team will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed your lunch. Look out for our 2013 events calendar. Hope to see you soon again at the hotel.

Reviewed 30 November 2012 via mobile

The room we stayed in was huge and clean. Hotel parking is available on site.

There is wifi but not very stable.

Room service was ok- same price as eating at the restaurant.

Walking distance into town. Closed to most sightseeing places.

Overall, good place to stays

• Stayed: November 2012

New restaurant menu and room service menus are just about to be launched, best news ever our new Wi-Fi will be up and running later this month. Hope to see you again soon, many thanks for your comments

Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel is situated a short walk from the town centre. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and the bar & reception area was pleasant. The room was fine for a couple of nights - clean, nothing special, but certainly nothing to complain about.
Where it lets itself down is the breakfast. I have to agree with Chris M, it was totally awful! It does seem you will receive freshly cooked fare, as there are no buffet tables laid out. Oh no!
I can only assume the hot plates etc are just kept in the kitchen and what is served up has been sat around for a while. It was tasteless, cold and virtually inedible.
I would stay there again, but would either stick to the cold selection or stop off at a cafe!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Many Thanks for your comments, I will pass them onto the reception team. Breakfast has being letting us down recently my apologies. Try us again, can assure you breakfast will be greatly improved.