“A little on the shabby side.”

Best Western Grosvenor Hotel
Oakham, United Kingdom
“A little on the shabby side.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband booked two nights here as a birthday surprise for me as I had long wanted to sample a 'Murder, Mystery' weekend. Had I known, I would not have chosen this hotel but a country house hotel, i.e. one more in keeping with the weekend theme. However, it is but a short walk from the hotel to the town centre and so it was convenient for some Christmas shopping or a look at some of the Shakespeare heritage sites. It is on a main road and was easy to find with parking at the side and rear. We found the check-in easy and were shown to our 'Executive' room which was on the ground floor in an extension overlooking the car park. Although larger than a standard room, I could see no other benefit. The room was cold, the furniture and furnishings tired and the door lock very awkward to operate. We complained and were moved to a standard room on the first floor and in the main building. This was a great improvement as the room, though small, was warm and comfortable.
This hotel seems to be comprised of separate buildings joined together and I found that there were too many open spaces so it did not really have a warm and cosy feel to it. Not all the radiators were hot and, in the room where we met for our 'Murder, Mystery' gatherings, some were stone cold. We found the food to be of a reasonable standard for this type of hotel with continental or cooked breakfast available.
Overall, I felt this hotel was ever so slightly shabby with scuffed paintwork and cheap doors. There were flights of stairs to negotiate and a bit of walking to 'our' meeting room. Not a problem for us but possibly for others.

Room Tip: Avoid the Executive ground floor annexe.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We at the hotel take great pride in the service we offer and always try to maintain the highest standards and therefore very much appreciate all guest feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Broughton Astley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Grosvenor for 2 nights 29th and 30 th Dec and from start to finish couldn't find fault with anything, the staff were so friendly and helpful/ and the food was lovely, we particularly enjoyed the afternoon teas. We have never stayed there before but will definitely be back, thank you do much for a lovely Christmas break :)

1 Thank Caroline B
Thank you so very much for your kind review I am delighted to find that you enjoyed your Christmas with us. We took great pride in providing our guests with quality service and good food. We look forward to welcoming you back next Christmas.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husbands birthday and in the main wished I hadn't. I paid for a executive room which was a joke. There was a hole in the wall and some of the furniture was hanging off and our view was the road to the car park. I have to say the bar staff were the only good thing, very helpful and friendly and our food was nice. The receptionist was dreadful, very rude and totally unhelpful and considering she should be the key face of the hotel this did not create a good first impression. On check out when I did raise my concerns and issues it should also be noted that not once did she apologise. The people behind us who we're checking out we're also raising complaints regarding the state of their room and general levels of service. Wouldn't recommend it!!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on a executive room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel and I'msorry to learn that your stay was not as you expected. We take great pride in the service we offer and always try to maintain the highest standards and therefore very much appreciate all guest feedback and it is very unusual that we recive negative feedback regarding our staff. Thankyou for bring it to my attention
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in twin rooms with a friend the staff were fantastic,our room was lovely and clean I loved the fact there was a choice of bath or shower,we ate in the bar and had burgers with chorizo and twice baked chips which were delicious plus only a 10 minute walk to RSC theatre.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beryl3
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you very much for your very kind review of your recent stay with us. I am so very pleased that your stay was so enjoyable. We all hope you a have a very Happy New Year.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in a great location only 5min walk to Stratford centre! Didn't eat at Hotel so can't comment on the food (£15 each for a full English Ouch) but room was big and warm with a double bed and 2x singles for the kids! Didn't check in till after 9pm and there was spaces to park at the back of the hotel and for £3 for 24hrs you can't go wrong! We left the car there after we checked out to explore/ eat breakfast in Stratford! Hotel was very Christmasy and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in ever! Wife is convinced the resident Ghost lifted up her watch in the night I'm convinced she barking mad! Only thing I found weird and it's constantly in my head was in the Hotel Info Book it offered a listening service so you could leave Babies alone in the room and go down to the bar till 11pm! You left the phone off the hook so u could ring in from any phone in the Hotel and listen and reception would also do the same every 15min! In the World we live in would anyone even think about doing this and I'm shocked that the Hotel would even offer it! That aside will get 5 stars from me and would defiantly stop again!

Stayed December 2013
Thank you for posting your review, it is greatly appreciated by all of us here at the Grosvenor.
A lot of work went into our Christmas decorations by the housekeeping team. We wish you a very Happy New Year and look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel very soon.
Leyland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you haven't stayed in Stratford on Avon you are in for a real treat here. We were fortunate to find this hotel for our first stay in the town after many visits. We were in need of a real rest and being looked after and found the half board offer over the festive holidays.
The hotel is a real gem and whilst carrying 3 stars we would wish to make that into 5 stars. The decoration is excellent, the staff always have a smile on their face and want to make your stay memorable. The food was really excellent too. The bedroom was most comfortable and lovely and warm despite the stormy weather. The town centre is a mere 5 minutes walk with lots of small shops and cafes, the canal basin for boat enthusiasts and the river next to the theatre. a fascinating town to explore.
If you have an opportunity to stay here you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: we chose a quiet room and it really was too, just perfect for our stay despite being offered an upgr...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your kind review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to find that your stay was so enjoyable. We take great pride in providing our guests with quality service and good food. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all the team.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, wishing you a very Happy New Year.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We paid a significant sum for a Boxing Day meal for a large group of people. However, the food quality was appalling, and I'll give you the "lowlights" below:

1) Meat was tough and fatty, so much so that the elderly members of our group could not eat it.
2) Roast potatoes were hard throughout, whilst the outside barely cooked.
3) Yorkshire pudding was tasteless and soggy.
4) Vegetables were served in a large "vat" and were overcooked.

I can only assume that this hotel does not rely too much on repeat business, and more on "one-off" stays/meals, as this complacency with poor food quality is not sustainable in this industry.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank George K
I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your Boxing Day lunch with us, it is most unusual that we have these types of issues. If you had brought this to the attention of our staff they would have replaced everything that you where not happy with. If you would like to contact me at the hotel I am sure we will be able to agree something.