“Perfect afternoon tea”

Best Western Grosvenor Hotel
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Perfect afternoon tea”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We recently attended here for afternoon tea which I can only describe as fabulous. The food was exceptional and the staff could not have been more helpful. One of our party couldn't attend due to ill health so the restaurant staff parcelled up his afternoon tea and sent it home for him! I was very impressed.
Sat in the conservatory which was lovely, linen table clothes and napkins, very comfortable. We had a lovely selection of sandwiches and cakes and everyone in our party was really pleased.
Can't wait to go back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for your great review, we all greatly appreciate your comments, hope fully we will see you again soon. Kindest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just on the edge of the centre. Near to all the shops and sights. We had a cream tea just before we left which finished our stay of perfectly. The car park on site was great and we just parked on arrival and picked it up again when we left - perfect

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

1 Thank LUSIA D
Very pleased to see you enjoyed you stay with us, our afternoon teas are very popular and make a great end to your break. We always feel our car parking is great value at £3.00 and as you stay you can just leave it through out your stay and enjoy Stratford at leisure. Kind Regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My brother brought this one night stay as a Christmas pressy, so thought would take Ed here the weekend before Valentines!

This hotel is easy to find just a short walk or hobble in my case from the town center and attractions.

On arrival the car park was full due to a conference but as a Blue Badge Holder I parked in allocated space at the front but when checked with reception the ladys English was very bad and took about 10 minutes to clarify that I was safe to park there!!
As we arrived well before check in we made our way into the town but left baggage in the car.
We returned around 6pm to get the keys etc and found a very pleasant big room with all the usual xtras you expect.
Later in the evening we returned and had a late night drinkies at the bar then bed and WoW what a sleep we both awoke at 10:20 to find breakfast closed in 10 mins and checkout was 11am!!
We rushed about and made it to brecky for 10:29am phew then the lady at the bar showed us the room and took our bags to a storage area.
Breakfast was OK seeing that we just made it but as we were eating the staff were clearing up so was mad scramble for left overs lol

Overall very pleasant stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GazSmith3
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Great to see you enjoyed your stay with us, I really appreciate your comments, I am looking at the breakfast times for Sunday. Kindest Regards
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It is advertised as having award winning afternoon tea and I was disappointed. I was bought a voucher for afternoon tea for 2 and when I arrived I was asked for the voucher which I gave to the waiter, after we were seated another waiter asked us for the voucher - a small thing but it shows lack of communication between staff.
We were seated in the conservatory which was very tired and we were next to a window and there were dead insects on the window sill
We had a selection of 4 sandwiches, salmon, cheese, egg and according to the menu we should have had cucumber sandwiches but we were served lettuce sandwiches. Also half of the sandwiches had the end slice (crust) of the bread, which for the price I would have expected a normal slice of bread to be used on the sandwich so they all look the same.
With the scones, firstly we had to use the same plates and cutlery that we used for the sandwiches for the cakes and also the plain scones were very dry and the fruit scones just crumbled to pieces when you tried to cut them.
We then had what was supposed to be a chocolate fondue - which was advertised as served with a selection of fruit - what we had was a couple of mini doughnuts and one very black banana chopped up into tiny pieces.

I was very disappointed as this was a gift and after hearing good reviews about the afternoon tea

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cymraescymruambyth
Thank you for your review, I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea.
If you would like to contact the hotel and ask for me as I would most certainly like to discuss things further. Kind Regards
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a base for visiting attractions in Stratford-Upon-Avon, for my wife's birthday. We stayed in an Executive "upgrade" double room, which was at the front of the hotel. The hotel is easy to find and near the Centre of Stratford and a good location. There is on site parking (£3 per day). As we arrived lateish on Friday night we decided to have a meal in the hotel restaurant, which was pleasant. We also had a drink in the bar afterwards, which was ok. The main problem was the room. We were at the front of the hotel in room 255, which is right on the main road and directly above outside seating. As it was hot we had to have the window open (in spite of the air conditioning being full on) so it was very noisy all through the night. Also, the TV was not tuned in so did not work. We mentioned it at reception the following morning and to be fair it was better on Saturday. Breakfast was ok. There was a buffet for the continental breakfast and cooked breakfast was made to order. Perhaps it would have been better to have a buffet?
Also, Complimentary water turned out to be one bottle on the first night. So I went to the bar Saturday night to get some bottled water and there was none available. Pity.
Finally, we had a fire alarm go off at 5.45am on Sunday morning, which turned out to be a false alarm. But there was a lot of confusion.

On the whole it was ok, but the room to me did not feel to be "executive" standard. If you stay there definitely get a room towards the back of the hotel as I suspect it will be quieter. Also, for those with mobility issues, there is no lift.

Room Tip: The room we were in (255) at the front of the hotel had a lot of traffic and people noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian G
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Your comments and detail are greatly appreciated and will enable me to work on further improvement's. Kind Regards
UK
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Quite handy for town just 2 mins walk to nearest shops and handy for the theatre. Hotel was nicely decorated, clean and tidy. My room backing onto the side car park was comfortable so got a good nights sleeps until the laundry delivery arrived. The breakfast was as expected, with a cooked breakfast option served to your table which is nice. A little more choice of fruit would be nice. I ate in the restaurant twice in the evening, the food was excellent and the service was excellent too. The bar area is pleasant and enjoyed a coffee every night, although it was a bit pricey. All staff were friendly and helpful. My only gripe is the car park charge to hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind review, your comments are appreciated, hopefully we will see you again soon. Kind Regards
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at this lovely hotel quite a while ago as a birthday treat. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is beautiful the room was huge! Really comfy and modern. Me and my parents enjoyed afternoon tea which was really nice a defiant must on visiting the hotel. The location is superb a couple of minutes and I was in the center of everything but yet at night it was very quiet and we all enjoyed a good nights sleep. The breakfast was excellent. Overall this hotel is excellent the only reason I'm not giving this hotel 5out of 5 is because there was no spa faculties, I do believe you could use the local swimming baths when staying at the hotel free of charge but decided not to. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to others and I am actually hoping to return in a couple of weeks myself :-)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
BWGrosvenor, General Manager at Best Western Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your very kind review, we all look forward to seeing again hopefully in a few weeks.
Kind Regards