“Great location and city, but no air conditioner”

Best Western Grosvenor Hotel
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The staff was helful and friendly. The hotel was clean and well kept. My only complaint is no air conditioners in the rooms as well as no fitness facilities on site. The leisure center across the street had to be used. The bar was well kept and maintained by friendly staff. The hotel ws right near the heart of Startford. A business center with Internet acces would also be a recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed 9 June 2010

Loved the whole weekend.
Staff excellent, as was food and location of hotel. The Murder and Mystery was brilliant!
I will definately come again, but will upgrade my room, as this was the only letdown.
Thank you to everyone.
p.s. the food was wonderful!
Regards
valerie Ralph
room 264

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights paid for by the company. If I was paying myself, would go somewhere else - it's expensive for what it offers, in my opinion. Room was OK - bland decor, slightly outdated bathroom in need of a refurb, very hot with only marginally-opening windows, and a view onto an uninspiring back courtyard. Very loud extractor fan did its best to keep me awake. Dinner was OK but, had we been paying, I would have felt that I could get better value outside the hotel. Breakfast was fine - nothing memorable either way. Staff ranged from the very good (dinner waiter) to pleasant (receptionist on check-in) to the almost comically rude (bar man) - i.e. wholly inconsistent. The bar prices, in line with most hotels, were astronomical - in this case with a very poor range of beers and wines. Whilst the parking and location are good, and the quietness of my room was a plus point, there's no way I'd stay here if I was paying my own money.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Good point was that the hotel is in a great location within 2 minutes walk of the river. However the overall offering is very poor. The reception staff were extremely unwelcoming trying to charge us for a room we had already paid for. No apology when we pointed that out, no welcome to the hotel, on check out no one asked if our stay had been good, in fact it felt like no one cared one way or the other. The roooms are tired and we had one looking out onto a courtyard with no ability to open the window on a hot night in June. Car park really small and people parked in areas that weren't spaces making it dificult to get the car out. Altogether very disappointing and with this level of service for a hotel priced at this level i would recommend going somewhere else

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Good Hotel, great location as very close to town centre and theatres, only few minutes walk. Room was very comfortable and reasonably priced. Reception was very busy at 2pm check in time, would benefit from extra reception staff at this time.
Carpark is small so can be difficult to park.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Booked an executive room which was nice enough if not a bit on the small size. We requested a room on the first floor in a quiet area in the hotel. We were given a room on the ground floor that faced a car parking space! Room was clean but I laughed at the 'Fruit and chocolate plate'. It consisted of 2 apples and a bar of Terry's Chocolate Orange!!!!
We ate in the hotel on the first night and the food was ok but the 'hand cut' chips were actually frozen chips and this was a bit disappointing.
Breakfast on the other hand was truly awful. The 'buffet' consisted of some bits of fruit in glasses and some cooked ham and cheese. There were also some 'ALDI' (Harvest Morn) breakfast bars to choose from. I'm no snob but would expect branded food for £12.50 cost.
We ordered the cooked breakfast. My sausage was dry and hard, the baked beans had black and brown lumps in them and the hash brown was so hard I couldn't cut into it!! It was vile and inedible. I told the duty manager who was in the breakfast room who agreed that it looked bad.
He took the cost off our room without me having to ask which was good if only he took the right amount off. This had to be amended again on checkout.
I was awoken on the Sunday morning at 5 am then again at 5.50 am by what sounded like loads of bottles being thrown in a bin and lots of shouting in what sounded like Polish. I told the reception staff about it on checkout on the Sunday as I thought it had been Hotel staff emptying the bottles from the bar or something. I was first told that it had been their external company emptying the bins. I pointed out that this was unacceptable at that thime on a Sunday morning but the receptionist said that there was nothing that could be done. Another receptionist then told me that it had actually been some guests that were causing problems that had to be evicted by the police!
All in all it was a mixed stay. A nice room spoiled by a terrible breakfast and the early morning wake up on the Sunday and the fact that my request for a quiet room on the first floor was totally ignored.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

The Hotel was situated near the town centre and was an ideal location for sightseeing and shopping. It was comfortable and the food was excellant. The staff were extremely pleasant and friendly. The one down side was that the drinks at the bar were grossly over priced.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple