“Great carvery and service”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Warwickshire
“Great carvery and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We went with some friends and our children for a Sunday carvery. We had a nice table where we were not to close to other tables and had loads of space. I started with the salad buffett, which was great. I could have just gone back and had a salad for the main course, it was such a good selection.
However the carvery was far too tempting. There was a roast of beef, roast of ham, and salmon. I wend for the beef which was stunning. Some of the people with me had the right idea and had a slice of ham and beef, best of both worlds! When it came to the desserts, I was too full from the salad and main course to be able to partake in the carrot cake or chocolate cake. Reports for the other people in the party were that I was missing out. I did manage to have a bit of cheese , which was great. Followed by a lovely coffee.
We will be back, this was a great lunch out, followed by a stroll around Stratford in the baking sunshine!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jocall
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Jocall,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review of our delicious carvery.

I am overjoyed to read how much you enjoyed it and I can’t wait for you to come back and enjoy it again.

Kind regards,

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
cheshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I am a Holiday Inn priority club member and have stayed in several across Europe and UK. I have always been happy with the quality of service and the overall stay and indeed have come to like and depend on the brand. However, the Holiday Inn in Shakespeare's birth place was a dismal experience.
We have literally just come back from a weekend break as part of a college reunion get together with over 150 delegates. The reception was average but I do need to mention about one person called Kinga who was rude, impolite, curt and with a dismissive body language. Some of my colleagues felt the same way. When I pointed this out to her, she said the usual, customary sorry which sounded quite hollow. Then I found out that she was declared an outsatnding employee of the hotel which really made me question as to what the criteria of the selection was.
The TV was an analougue one but disappointingly the first picture that came up on switching on the TV was an explicit picture of a naked woman advertising the adult pay channel. This incidentally was brought to our attention by our 8 and 10 year olds. Then we found a cautionary message on the TV advising us to contact reception to remove the access to the channel but that still did not remove the inapprpoprite picture which appeared everytime the TV was switched on. Needless to say, the kids were distressed and sensibly chose to miss their TV programmes.
The flush in our toilet broke down which was then repaired. One of the two lifts was out of action for over 12 hours and waiting for one lift in busy check out times was not a pleasant experience. At breakfast time, the plates were so hot that they burnt our fingers. As it was quite busy at breakfast the glasses needed to be replenished. When I had approached the waiter he promptly suggested that I should use a tea cup and get some water instead! A waiter also refused to clean a table for us, one we chose as our friends were at the next table. We were advised to go and sit at a table which was clean instead. On insisting, he came back rather late by which time I had cleaned it myself.
Where do I stop? I am an easy man to please and 1 or 2 glitches, I accept. These were consistent shortfalls. The crowning glory was that in spite of the reunion committee's explicit instructions of having a family of 4 accommodated in 2 consecutive rooms, we were given 2 rooms which were 6 rooms apart from each other.
This Holiday Inn has let me down badly and I only hope that this is an exception only. I have not written a negative review before. Good service is what a traveller demands and deserves. This alone makes a stay pleasant and memorable. A 2 star hotel may have a 5 star service to make your experience; equally a 5 or a 4 star hotel may have a zero star service to ruin it. Regrettably, I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear soumit,

I am extremely disappointed after reading your review of Holiday Inn Stratford. We strive to provide all of our customers with the highest service possible and this is not what you received.

I can only apologise and if you would like to discuss your issues further, please do not hesitate to contact us on rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com.

I hope you will choose to return to us in the future where we can show you the service we usually provide.

Kind regards,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We've just enjoyed a weekend break at this riverside hotel. Breakfast is self service with a reasonable choice. we didn't eat other meals there.
Parking costs £5 per night, but as parking is very limited in town, I felt this was a fair charge.
Our room was large and included a bath as well as shower.Very clean although the flush in the toilet was not very effective.
Guests have free use of the pool but its really only big enough for cooling off and not deep enough for people who swim well.
Overall a decent hotel in this price catagory and one we would use again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear danae363,

Thank you for taking to time to leave feedback on your recent stay with Holiday Inn Stratford.

I am pleased that from your review you enjoyed your stay with Holiday Inn Stratford. I am glad our staff were friendly and your room was comfortable, as this is something we strive to achieve for all of our guests.

In regards to the toilet flush, please forward your name, room number and date of stay to rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com so I can resolve the situation.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon,

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

For staying in Stratford the location is excellent. The hotel itself is a slightly dated Holiday Inn that could do with some updating to bring it up to standard - but would not stop me form staying here.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

This was our first stay in a Holiday Inn, and we were quite pleasantly surprised. Parking was easy, owing to the huge car park - a bonus since parking in Straford is not that easy. The rooms were larger than expected and had a view onto the car park and a row of trees which obscured the waterfront. We had two Executive rooms with large, comfortable beds. The best feature of the hotel was the restaurant which served an "all you can eat" carvery for GBP25/head. Given the high quality of the food, this represented very good value for money. Starters, desserts and non-alcoholic drinks were included. The breakfast buffet was served in the same restaurant and was of a good standard. The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring Straford and the waterfront and is a short walk from the theatre, shops and pubs. One other positive aspect was the sleep quality. the room sound insulation was pretty good, so we all got a good night's sleep. Service in the hotel was always friendly and efficient.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank karate_boss
East Midlands, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

This was the second year running we have stayed at this Holiday Inn. Ideally located within 2 minutes walk of Stratford shops, bars, RSC theatre.

In 2011, we had a good room - very spacious, quiet and with reasonable views. When we checked in this year we were initially allocated a room on the first floor with a noisy industrial extractor (from the kitchen?) directly below our window. However, when we asked if there was another room available the staff were excellent and we were provided with a suite on the top floor with two windows - one overlooking the river and the other with views of Stratford. The rooms are a little tired now for the money. Will visit the River Festival again next year but will probably seek alternative accommodation as the "suite" cannot be guaranteed.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor "internal outlook" rooms.