“Great location, friendly staff, appalling breakfast”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Bolton
“Great location, friendly staff, appalling breakfast”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed at the hotel at the Easter weekend, and have stayed there several times and always enjoyed ourselves. The location is superb, parking great, rooms are adequate. This time however the buffet breakfast was an absolute shambles, with very little food available (bacon, mushrooms and scrambled egg). At £15.00 per person for breakfast you would expect the buffet to be fully stocked. I wrote to the Hotel and received a standard reply of sorry!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Holly_S_Bolton,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the available breakfast selection prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This Holiday Inn knocked spots off the last one I stayed in, Very friendly and helpful check in by Dean, upgraded to an Executive Room with ample space, a comfortable bed and a nice bath room - but no flannels. Staff very helpful every time we needed anything. Vast breakfast room overlooking the river and a very wide choice of food for all tastes. Location close to the centre, on the river, next to Clopton Bridge (the only crossing of the Avon for miles) and a large car park. Easy to walk to all the main attractions (except Ann Hathaways). Would definitely go back

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Dear Bobbio,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us including your free upgrade and our efficient and friendly team. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The location of this hotel was great as it is right in the centre of Stratford with a free car park for residents. Whilst the outside looks a little grim it feels completely different inside with a little bit of a grand feel. On checking in the staff could not have been more genuinely friendly and helpful, as was the gentleman helping to arrange our meeting. My room was very reasonably priced, clean, comfy and I loved the detail of having a choice of soft or firm pillow. I had a great night's sleep.
Unfortunately I seemed to wake up in a different hotel as I noticed quite a few hairs on the tiles in the bathroom and two large ones in the shower and there was a questionable small smear on the tiles near the loo. On checking out I had to wait as all of the staff were hiding in the office and when they did emerge the service were fairly perfunctory, including the apology for the dirty bathroom. In summary, I would stay again as I see lots of positives, particularly as some of the staff are excellent, although this would depend on the price as there is a lot of choice in Stratford.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bathwickdave
Dear BathwickDave,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found our team members to be efficient and friendly. I’m sorry that your bathroom was not as clean as we would have liked it and I have taken notes to ensure that this does not happen again. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Came here at the weekend as part of a conference. I had to remind myself that this is a Holiday Inn as I drove up to this nondescript rectangular building, and therefore I would have to temper my expectations. It has a large free car park, which is good. It is a few minutes' walk to the centre of town, so located ideally. The hotel is large and the rooms are basic and tired, but clean. The towels are new, bright white and reasonable fluffy. The rooms do not have a safe. There is a choice of pillows; labelled 'firm' and 'soft'. The bed is comfortable.
You have to pay for wifi. Don't bother. The connection dropped constantly, and irritatingly, you have to log in from scratch again. Reception was helpful, and apparently the hotel cannot cope with many people accessing the wifi simultaneously. This hotel has 259 rooms.
You get to the gym via the restaurant, which was a bad bit of design. I think you can also get to it by going outside the building too. I didn't try out the gym facilities due to lack of time, but I would have been put off by the overwhelming stench of chlorine from the indoor pool right next to the small gym.
Breakfast is buffet-style and acceptable, with the usual array of fruit, cereal and cooked English breakfast. Unfortunately, no-one circulated with coffee, so you have to get up from your table and ask a member of staff for a refill.
Catering was pretty awful at lunchtime, but I was quite impressed by dinner, which was a decent salmon starter and lamb shank main. The meal was let down though by the stodgy fruit crumble.
The staff is helpful and friendly, and there was good service at the bar. Overall, the experience is what you would expect.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Punam D,

Thank you for reviewing your time with us.

I’m pleased to read that you seem to have enjoyed your time with us and found everything in your room to be in order. Our WiFi is currently under speculation. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This is the ideal place to base your stay in Stratford, central to the town, plenty of parking , staff were always very friendly and helpful . Rooms were clean although basic ,sofa bed wasn't very comfortable but provided us with an extra duvet to even the bumps out! Pool wasn't the biggest so not room for many guests, couldn't swim one evening as was too crowded, but overall we were very pleased with our stay. Didn't eat in as plenty of places close by and was ideal place to stay for our visit to Warwick Castle (10 mins away ) and to see the town , Would highly recommend the ghost walk of the town , great stories !

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol D
Dear Carol D,

Thank you for leaving feedback on your time with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to be to your liking – especially our proximity to Stratford City Centre. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We had a first class stay at the Holiday Inn in Stratford. Our room on the 3rd floor was large with great views over the river. Everyone was pleasant and polite. Lovely buffet breakfast again overlooking the river. 5 minute walk into the centre of historic Stratford. Parking in large car park was £5 / night which for residents was a bit expensive

Room Tip: great views from 3rd floor on corner of building overlooking river
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Derekwright,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found everything to be to your liking. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

When making a reservation at the above hotel please please make sure that you read in full the very ambiguous texts about deposits and fully paid rooms I made a reservation online for my 83 year old father to attend a yearly event at Stratford upon Avon racecourse As he has used this hotel before and enjoyed himself I phoned to book him in for this past Easter only to be told that I needed to book on line which I proceeded to do and left my own personal credit card as a deposit Due to the severe snow and weather over the Easter period the event was cancelled I called the Hotel personality to cancel the reservation for my father and was told I could only do this online The rest you can probably guess at this stage I was informed by central reservations that it was a fully paid rate in advance with zero Refunds I am sure I'm not the first and won't be the last to be caught out like this I'm going to pick up the cost of this for my father as i can only imagine that distress this will cause him if he knew that not only did you miss its annual events he was being charged by the Hotel even though he didn't manage to attend through no fault of his own. Times must really be hard for Holiday Inn's if they want to take money off of elderly people and they will only get harder as I and my company would definitely definitely never be using holidays again

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Mark6112
Dear Mark6112,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Stratford upon Avon. I am really sorry that you feel that we have not acted correctly regarding the request for a refund on your pre paid rate. We have a wide variety of rates available to our customers and these are fully visible on our website, directly with the hotel or through our central reservations office. Also the terms and conditions particularly around cancellations are fully visible.

Some of our rates have very flexible terms and conditions although these maybe a little more expensive. Other rates have less flexibility and require pre payment or are more restrictive in the cancellation policies. These practices are standard in the whole of the travel industry and are very similar to maybe the terms and conditions you find when booking and airline ticket.

I am fully sympathetic for this situation and I apologise once again for the fact that your father was not able to travel, and although this occurrence quite clearly marred your experience with Holiday Inn as a whole, I do hope that it won’t deter you from considering us for your future travel plans.