“4 Star , your having a laugh”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Glasgow
“4 Star , your having a laugh”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I visited last week for one night and was not impressed with this Hotel. Do not eat in the Hotel bar the sevice is very poor. When taking my order I changed my mind about something and was told it has been put in the computer and I could not change it ?? Then told he would have to phone to cancel the order. Big mistake on my part for that, I was brought the wrong meal three times and an hour later , once my friends and everyone else that came in after me got their dinner. Tea facilities in room - only one sachet of semi -skimmed milk and one coffee. No biscuits or water . Only shampoo , no conditioner. Pool changing area looked like it needed a deep clean. Best bits breakfast had a great selection and it is a great location. Shame about all the refurb mess and rude bar manager

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Laineypops1
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Laineypops1,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and your breakfast but I am concerned that the rest of your stay was disappointing. I have taken notes concerning your experience at dinner and I will investigate this as soon as possible. In the meantime I would appreciate the chance to restore your faith in our hotel and hope you will email your name, room number and date of stay to ops.histratford@qmh-hotels.com so we can discuss this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Peter Byard
Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Whitstable
Reviewed 24 August 2013

The main attraction of this hotel is the riverside location, so we were disappointed that the lovely riverside restaurant and bar that we enjoyed on a visit last year were out of action due to the refurb. It's a few steps away from the lively riverside park, and a short walk from restaurants, Shakespeare houses etc. It's right next door to a big leisure centre, which is the main reason we stay here, as my husband is a regular swimmer.

The rooms are spacious, even for the three of us. When we arrived, there was complimentary water, juice and chocolate in the room, which was a nice touch. No iron, minibar or room safe though.

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles. The cooked food was okay, not great quality but well cooked. The pastries were appalling - please change your supplier! The fruit etc was really badly presented - worse than you'd expect from a school canteen (more scout camp food). The staff were really poorly trained and looked bewildered - the guy on the toaster served us a totally burnt slice even though we expressly said we didn't want it.

We paid about £70 per night for a triple room and breakfast, which was about right I think for the location.

Despite these issues, I would be happy to stay again especially when the refurb is completed.

By the way, the butterfly farm in the riverside park is an absolute delight!

Room Tip: Away from noisy vents
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chillihit
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Chillihit,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am pleased to read that you found us to be good value and would happily return in the future. I have taken notes concerning some of the points in your review and I hope to discuss them with the team soon. I look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Dublin
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The location of this hotel compensates for so much.
The hotel is in the progress of building on a new reception etc but really they should just clean up what they've got.
Rooms and bathrooms are not cleaned each day Breakfast is very poor e.g. no cereal bowls one morning, no milk another morning... there really isn't much evidence of staff about the hotel.
WiFi is £15 a day. We paid for an upgrade to a suite, which was spacious. They included WiFi which was very poor. We are used to free WiFi, that works, in hotels.
The hotel is close to the theatre, the river and the beautiful town which is why the hotel gets 3/5 as you won't be in it much.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura-Sweeney
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Laura-Sweeney,

Thank you for your review.

I’m pleased that our location was a particular boon for you but I’m sorry to read that there were some issues throughout your stay. I will discuss your review at length with our hotel team to ensure these concerns do not occur again. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is a large airy light modern hotel which looks as though it is more for conferences than tourists. It seemed odd for stratford-upon-Avon. Nevertheless it is an excellent location fior the theatre which is why we went there for two nights. The bedroom was large and bright although the couch was prepared as a 3rd bed and the basin was blocked.
Breakfast was included and the ingredients seemed good but the hot buffet was cold and the dead fried eggs being disgusting. The waitress did not know that fried eggs could be made to order but it was clear on the menu. The second morning therefore I had hot fresh fried eggs with my cold bacon and sausages.
Although the hotel deal was very good and was nasty seeing there was a charge for wifi and also annoying that in the room they use cheap narrow tooilet paper and the hangars are the type you cannot steal. With a bit more thought this could be an ideal stop for a Shakespeare visit.

Dear Geraldmichael,

Thank you for taking the time to share your views of our hotel.

I am pleased to read your enjoyed your stay but I am sorry that we fell short on a couple of aspects. I will discuss your comments with our restaurant team and I hope, should you return we have improved based upon your review. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

we stayed over for one night the hotel was being refurbished but there was no dirt or dust around. All the staff were great and we had a nice room, very highly recommended we will definately stay here again when we are in Stratford

Room Tip: We had room 1096 not a good view but very clean and nice
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Wiliam448,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your liking. I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Business trip for one night, not what is expected of a hotel in Stratford upon Avon, especially a Holiday Inn. Granted the hotel was undergoing a refurb which was sorely needed and they hid it fairly well, that does not excuse the service and cleanliness!
It's the little things that get me; toilet paper with the corner folder in...with not enough sheets for one use, why not change it?! Long hair under the pillow, hair in the bath, dust an bits if toilet paper in the corner of the bathroom, soap and shampoo only?! Very limited coffee in the room, no biscuits, no water, mini milk cartons covered in tea stains. Lovely sounding fans to the hotel are a good alarm at 7ish. Service of staff was below average; a colleague had issues trying to simply cancel an order of olives, this then lead to her being offered gammon streak THREE times before her order came after the other 7 of us had finished eating. When the "pizza" came the waitress handed me the plate to which I promptly dropped to the table as it was clearly straight from the oven, causing blisters on fingertips! Ouch! General friendless of staff was poor, told by front of house staff to take cold toast as it had been made rather than making me fresh. Disappointing all round :(

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Ninja1911,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to read that your time with us was less than satisfactory. I have taken all your points into account and I will be sure to discuss these at length with our housekeeping and restaurant team. I am very sorry your stay was not to the standard I would hope our guests receive. I hope to welcome you back in the future to show you what our hotel can offer our guests.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

A lovely hotel in a perfect location with outdoor seating. Drinks were a bit expensive in the bar but the room and breakfast was first class. Would definately recommend for a night or weekend in Stratford-upon-Avon. Easy access to all of the local bars, restaurants, river boats, butterfly farm, Theatre etc.

1 Thank Melody001
Dear Melody01,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am very pleased to read that everything about your stay was excellent and you found our hotel was in the perfect location for exploring Stratford. I hope to welcome you back very soon.