The hotel is currently undergoing external (and some internal) renovations. The entrance nearest the reception is currently closed however do not let this concern you, the hotel is perfectly located by a small off-shoot of the river. My Fiancée and I enjoyed a few drinks on the decking by the gas heaters as we watched a Herron sittign in a tree opposite.
The first room we were allocated (1006) was spacious and clean but situated a long way from the lifts. We also had the misfortune of being next to family with a rather loud child who was obviously excited to be stopping in a hotel. Our room and theirs had an interconnecting door which offered very little in the way of sound-proofing but the hotel were understanding and very helpful and moved us the following day.
The second room we had (2043) was much the same as the first as you’d expect; Tidy, clean, spacious and this time not located quite so far from the lift. The view from the room left little to be desired (the roof of the restaurant) but I wasn't there for the view. There was some slight extractor fan noise from the kitchen but nothing that bothered us.
The facilities at this hotel are VERY good. The food (we only ate in the bar, not the restaurant) was excellent and what we saw of the other meals people were having also looked nice. The pizza looked amazing! Drinks were reasonably priced; we were paying around £12 for a pint of Stella Artois and a DOUBLE Tia Maria with Diet Coke.
The spa/pool area was small but the gym equipment looked very modern. (We didn’t use it, only the Sauna, Pool and Jacuzzi). The Steam room was out of order but I did notice a sign saying the Spa and Pool facility will be closed for 2 weeks due to refurbishment. I think only the Spa facilities are being refurbished but the pool will be closed for safety reasons during this time. Sorry, I don’t remember the exact dates, might be worth checking with the hotel if you are stopping in the next month or so.
Stratford itself is only a stone’s throw away from the rear exit and if we were going to visit again we’d certainly stop in this hotel again.
There was plenty of parking, but it is not free as some other reviewers have said. It’s £5 per 24 hours. You must pay at reception on the day you leave, if you pay at the machines you’ll be charged £15 a day!
Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The barman remembered my drinks preference which is always the sign of good staff.
We booked our 3 night stay a few months in advance through booking.com and paid £250. We checked the hotel’s website the week before we left and saw the same stay was £350 so it pays to shop around and plan ahead if you can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the River Avon and set in beautiful landscaped gardens, the Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon is the perfect location for discovering the delights of Shakespeare's birthplace, while other local attractions and historical sites are within walking distance. The hotel is within easy reach of J15 off the M40 and 20 miles from Birmingham Airport and the NEC and only a short drive from the amazing Warwick Castle. All 259 refurbished bedrooms have air-conditioning, wireless internet access and tea and coffee making facilities. Car parking is available at the hotel with over 300 spaces on site. Renowned as an excellent meeting and conference venue and with the impressively modernised Ballroom with adjoining exhibition areas Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon can host events for up to 550 delegates. To dine in style, the Terrace Lounge and Bar and the Riverside Restaurant offer excellent food to suit all tastes. Or to really unwind and recuperate, the leisure club is available for all guests to use with a wide range of first class facilities including a fully equipped gymnasium, indoor heated swimming pool, sauna and whirlpool. Discover Stratford-upon-Avon and visit the many nearby places of interest including the National Exhibition Centre, The Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Warwickshire and the Heritage Motor Centre. The Hotel, in compliance with UK smoking regulations, is completley non smoking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Booking.com, IHG, Ebookers, Lastminute, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Stratford-Upon-Avon Hotel Stratford-Upon-Avon
- Stratford Upon Avon Holiday Inn