“Higher prices for worse service”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Money lavished on `upgrading' now puts this hotel beyond our expense limit. Have always felt guilty staying in this architecturally disastrous blot on Stratford's landscape. View from our room was bleak in the extreme. Excellent pre-theatre supper in the bar: but practically impossible to pay for it; Bar person wafted away our first request,, saying `later'; queue at the bar when we had to leave for the theatre prevented our paying then. Waitress finally caught up with us in the hallway; she had our room number anyway. Hotel often swamped by huge conferences and coach parties.
No document in the room giving times for breakfast, instructions for switching on TV etc
A route march down endless coriridors to get to distant rooms. Have booked nice old-fashioned characterful hotel for next Stratford visit in eary May.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view, and near a lift.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MAvK, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Richard C
I was saddened to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay and that you are considering stay elsewhere in Stratford for your next visit. Indeed we have given our ground floor a £1.5M upgrade by refurbishing our reception, bar and restaurant and we are currently undergoing more refurbishment to the exterior of the hotel to improve our hotel’s external aesthetics. I’m sorry you felt the service you received in the bar was not up to our usual high standard and I can assure you we will be investigating why this was the case. All information about the hotel can be found on the TV or our reception team would have been more than happy to give you any information required. I fully understand that on this occasion we did not live up to your standards for which I ask that you accept my apologies.

Kind regards

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed Easter weekend as my Aunt and Uncle from London had booked it for a well earned break so we surprised them by turning up, my first impression wasn't good as there is lots of building work going on so all the Disabled bays were blocked off and the signing was not good so I ended up struggling up steps and a long walk down the corridor to the reception. I found the room to be bland and basic with a bath so I had to wash at sink the mattress was hard and I tended to roll into the join so I asked for 2 extra pillows to put down the middle of the mattress. The location is great right by most of the attractions unfortunately the weather wasn't. Breakfast was the usual buffet style but the toasting machines either burnt the bread or didn't toast them and there was quite a queue, in the end most people gave up so there was quite a lot of wasted bread burnt and otherwise. Mine and my Aunts bug bear was the fried eggs they were what we refer to as snotty eggs why is it hotels can't get this right I'm not the best of cooks (my family will agree) but my fried eggs have firm white and soft yolk. We had one evening meal there on the Sunday and it was lovely I had the leek potato soup & Fish and Chips the fish was lovely and soft the batter was perfect as was the Tartar sauce, I asked afterwards what the Fish was and was told it was Vietnamese Pangnang I think, I have to admit if I had of known beforehand I would not of ordered it for 2 people for £29 you got 2 starters 2 mains and a glass of wine each good deal, checking in and out was quick and efficient . All in all not bad but a bit pricey at £132 a night I had noticed better deals which included evening meal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Elizabeth B
I was sorry to read that the external refurbishment work we are currently conducting caused you concern during your stay. We do have some temporary Accessible bays at the front of the hotel which are closer to the hotels Terrace bar accessible entrance. We believed that the additional signage that we had in place was sufficient, but we will review this in light of your comments. I will pass on your comments to the Head chef with regards to the fried eggs at breakfast, however, it is worth mentioning that we have a Chef positioned at an egg cooking station within the restaurant, cooking omelettes and fried eggs to order who will gladly cooks eggs to individual requirements. I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our fantastic “Two Dine” menu. I am naturally concerned that you had issues during your stay, If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss your comments further please email me at Receptionteam.histratford@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have stayed here a few times over the years but the recent refurbishment of the ground floor, bar, restaurant, meeting rooms, entrance foyer etc has really given the hotel a big lift. The bedrooms are still to be done, but they are a good holiday inn standard. The food has definitely improved and is now something the hotel can be really proud of and the service in general has become more professional, without losing the personal touch. A great location and reasonable prices add to appeal

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear dunc s
I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed the improvements to the hotel. We are indeed very proud of the new look refurbished areas and honoured that you felt our service has improved too. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Perfect for a rend in stratford or a night at the theatre.....easy and close. Nice reception and room comfortable and a HUGE bed!!! We booked double but a nice surprise! Bathroom brill, good tv and lathe room and plenty of space! Breakfast good and bar area nice for a drink...def recommend and def bd going back!

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Holly H
Thank you for your comments, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Rooms are clean and adequate, service is excellent.

Outdoor bar on the river bank is very romantic on a summer's evening.

Located almost right in the centre of stratford. Just a short walk over the bridge to the main shops and attractions.

Ample parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
MAvK, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Anne_x_David
I glad you enjoyed our Terrace Patio during your recent stay with us and found our central location very convenient for visiting Stratford upon Avon.
We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The hotel is currently undergoing external (and some internal) renovations. The entrance nearest the reception is currently closed however do not let this concern you, the hotel is perfectly located by a small off-shoot of the river. My Fiancée and I enjoyed a few drinks on the decking by the gas heaters as we watched a Herron sittign in a tree opposite.

The first room we were allocated (1006) was spacious and clean but situated a long way from the lifts. We also had the misfortune of being next to family with a rather loud child who was obviously excited to be stopping in a hotel. Our room and theirs had an interconnecting door which offered very little in the way of sound-proofing but the hotel were understanding and very helpful and moved us the following day.

The second room we had (2043) was much the same as the first as you’d expect; Tidy, clean, spacious and this time not located quite so far from the lift. The view from the room left little to be desired (the roof of the restaurant) but I wasn't there for the view. There was some slight extractor fan noise from the kitchen but nothing that bothered us.

The facilities at this hotel are VERY good. The food (we only ate in the bar, not the restaurant) was excellent and what we saw of the other meals people were having also looked nice. The pizza looked amazing! Drinks were reasonably priced; we were paying around £12 for a pint of Stella Artois and a DOUBLE Tia Maria with Diet Coke.

The spa/pool area was small but the gym equipment looked very modern. (We didn’t use it, only the Sauna, Pool and Jacuzzi). The Steam room was out of order but I did notice a sign saying the Spa and Pool facility will be closed for 2 weeks due to refurbishment. I think only the Spa facilities are being refurbished but the pool will be closed for safety reasons during this time. Sorry, I don’t remember the exact dates, might be worth checking with the hotel if you are stopping in the next month or so.

Stratford itself is only a stone’s throw away from the rear exit and if we were going to visit again we’d certainly stop in this hotel again.

There was plenty of parking, but it is not free as some other reviewers have said. It’s £5 per 24 hours. You must pay at reception on the day you leave, if you pay at the machines you’ll be charged £15 a day!

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The barman remembered my drinks preference which is always the sign of good staff.

We booked our 3 night stay a few months in advance through booking.com and paid £250. We checked the hotel’s website the week before we left and saw the same stay was £350 so it pays to shop around and plan ahead if you can.

Room Tip: The lower the room number the further the walk from the lift. Even number rooms seem to face out, o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear TygerCheex
What a fantastic review, Thank You very much for your kind comments about the hotel. I was sorry to hear we had to move your room on your second day but am very glad that the team were helpful in moving you to a quieter room. I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and would consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

The entrance, reception ,bar and restaurant are all beautifully done...and immaculate. We ate in the restaurant at night and the food was very nice and very reasonable..and as it was my fathers birthday the staff were all very accommodating..nothing was too much trouble...Our room was nice and spacious, the kids loved the swimming pool and the hotel is only five mins walk from the town centre...would definitely stay again :0)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jason T

Dear Jason T
Thank You for your generous comments regarding our hotel and staff. I do hope your father enjoyed his birthday at the hotel.
We look forward to your next stay with us