“Nothing short of perfect”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 2 May 2014

There aren’t enough positive adjectives to describe this hotel. I have now stayed here on about 4 occasions and my stays have been nothing short of perfect. The suites are amazing and if I had to choose a hotel to live in this would be the one. The location, near to the town and also near the river is perfect. I have normally had room service in which I have had wonderful food. If you can afford it I would recommend a suite – worth the difference. The staff are all friendly and if I could remember the name of the guy on reception, who came from Bolton I would give him a special mention – they should clone him for other hotels.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear sa1gon,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the hotel and staff. I will ensure the team member you’ve described reads this review as we all like to hear how much our guests have enjoyed the hotel and the service we provide our guests. We hope you continue to stay with us.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

An excellent hotel in an excellent location, literally 2 minutes walk from restaurants, shops and the RSC theatres. About 5 -10 minutes to all the interesting Shakespeare sites, Birthplace/burial site. Also the hotel is located on the river Avon and has a lovely heated terrace which runs down to the river, boats pull into the hotel to pick up guests for the 45 minute cruise.
Staff and service were first class, breakfast was very good with a wide choice of both cold and hot food, there only 2 concerns about it;
(i) we had to make our own toast, most guests ended up with burnt toast or bread that was not toasted - also by the time you got your toast your other food was cold.
(ii) tea/coffee was self service from a machine which was OK except that on the Saturday it was very busy so there was quite a long cue plus the machine ran out of some of the coffees.
Other minor problems - (I) Car park at the hotel costs £5 per day for guests. (ii) We had a meal in the restaurant one night and it was decidedly average.
I would still recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a centrally located clean hotel with very friendly helpful staff, we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river and if possible one near the lift as our room was at the end of...

Dear 558George,

It’s lovely to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and found the central location of the hotel ideal. I have noted your comments about your restaurant experiences and will ensure these car passed on to our food and beverage manager. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked our two night stay in a standard room by telephone a few months prior to our visit, asking for a quiet room, overlooking the river if possible. On our arrival we found that the room allocated overlooked flat roof with noisy extractor fans. We also found that the toilet did not flush properly. We were quickly moved to a second similar room overlooking quieter extractor fans on another flat roof, but overlooking the river!The room was south facing and hot and when we turned the air conditioning on, hot air was blown into the room! Reception agreed to send an engineer ASAP, while we walked into town. On our return, the room was cool and the air conditioning system was working perfectly.
The agreed room rate was £100 per night, including breakfast- as stated on the confirmation e mail. We were surprised given the hotel rating and the nightly rate that no complementary water or biscuits were available in the room! We agreed at reception to join the Holiday Inn reward scheme, which meant we would enjoy a free newspaper the following morning. Why were we not surprised that no newspaper was delivered on our first morning or at any stage that day! On our second day we found the bed had been poorly made and re did it ourselves.
On our final morning when we paid the bill we were charged not £100 per night but £100 one night and £110 for the second night - "because the Hotel was very busy". Fortunately we had retained the confirmation e mail which clearly identified the rate of £100 per night - at the time of booking.
On a more positive note the buffet breakfast was reasonably good,the hotel has ample parking (£5 per night) and the Theatre is only a 10 minute walk away.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hinxton,

I’m sorry to hear that you encounter some issues during the stay. Indeed our river view rooms do also include the view of the roof, which is unfortunately unavoidable due to the layout of the hotel. I would like to ensure you we will be investigating why you were quoted a rate of £100 per night and found on check out the rates to be different from what was confirmed and also to find out why your complimentary newspapers as IHG Rewards Club members did not arrive. However I’m glad the issues with the A/C were attended to efficiently and that our reception team honoured your original booking confirmation.
I hope the issues you encountered during your stay would not deter you from stay with us again, If you would like to contact me personally regarding your stay please don’t hesitate to contact me at receptionteam.histratford@qmh-hotels.com.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Stratford for two nights, with my sister and parents. We'd booked because of the good location, easy walking to the theatre and town centre. It's a while since I've been to a Holiday Inn and it was far better than I expected. In particular, it was noticeable how good the staff were - without exception, we found the staff helpful and friendly, from an excellent check-in (the lady who checked us in also took my parents bags to their room), I'd mentioned that it was my Mother's birthday and later on, a card appeared under our door, which was a kind thought (sorry, meant to check your name to give you a special mention).
We slept well, comfy beds, a bit hot initially but air conditioning did the trick (it didn't seem to work so well in my parent's room, but they had a window that opened). Breakfast was lovely - good choice, eggs cooked there in front of you and plenty of staff ensuring food was topped up. The usual queues for coffee / water machine but i find every hotel the same on that front. Clearly a busy hotel.
Lovely to experience so many of the staff smiling and eager to help, from the room cleaners to reception to bar/breakfast area. I had a problem logging into the wi-fi and when I called reception, they sent someone up within 5 minutes to help. We did have an afternoon tea soon after we arrived - good tea and sandwiches but the scones were a bit hard (had scones to die for at the theatre restaurant the following day).
Overall, Impressive, with the staff making the difference - would recommend and will go back, thank you all.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear CeliaE7,

I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here on Easter Sunday. Asked for a quiet room and when I got there it was right next to the air conditioning systems outside.................asked to be moved and had to move to a smaller room but at least it was quiet!

Newspaper ordered however went to wrong room but we did receive a news paper when asked where ours was.

Great location for a night in Stratford on Avon.

Receptionist rather sullen when explaining to a guest complaining about having to pay car parking charges 'I dont make the rules'. I dont think this response is quite good customer service!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MAvK, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear joh127298

I’m very sorry that your initial request for a quiet room was not fulfil and that we had to move you to a smaller room. I would like to assure you the errors that occurred during your stay are not the usual high standard I would expect of my team and I will be investigating why your newspaper was not delivered to your room, and to why our level of customer service slipped. I fully understand that on this occasion we did not live up to your standards for which I ask that you accept my apologies.

Kind Regard

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We arrived on 25 April 2014 and were given room by member of staff over looking pipes and fan noise. We complained and were moved to good room.
When we went to bed after visiting the theatre the time was about 11.30 pm. The duvet was dirty , the mattress stained and the bottom sheet had what looked like a spot of blood, finally the mattress cover was also stained. We requested that the bedding be changed.
The night porter still had no action by 12.30 and we rang reception and were told the clean linen had been left outside the door, he did not want to disturb us !!! We eventually made the bed at 12.45 am.
Not good service and a disgrace. A shame on you Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Don't take a room without viewing it first. Now I will also say inspect the bed linen.

Dear Audrey r

I’m Sorry to read that you had issues during your stay with regards to your bed linen and how the situation was handled by our team. I would like to assure you this is not the usual standard of cleanliness we would expect and we will be investigating further into why this occurred. I hope you can accept our apologies on this occasion as we did not meet the standards you would expect.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Me and my wife stay here several times a year. Our recent stay was the best as the hotel as just had a recent refurb. Its 1st class. The place is very nice deserves 5 stars.
The hotel is right in the city centre and very close to all the restaurants and pubs in the city centre.
Jef and pearl. Flintshire

Room Tip: Ideal for the city centre pubs and eating places.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MAvK, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Jeff J

Thank You for your very high recommendation of our hotel and rating it 1st Class. We look forwards to seeing you again on your next visit