“Don't let the outside fool you!”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Not a looker from the outside, but the Holiday Inn in Stratford makes up for it inside with a great restaurant, lovely terraced bar and excellent location.

Rooms are standard quality, and staff very pleasant and friendly.

All in all impressed with this hotel and would definitely stay again.

£15 for wifi though, in this day and age? Ridiculous. Holiday Inn need to revisit this policy across all their hotels.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear jcellis,

I was glad to ready you would like to return to us in the future and that you have enjoyed your recent stay. With regards to the WIFI charges, if you are an IHG Rewards club member WIFI is complimentary as one of the benefits, if you are not a member I urge that you sign up to take advantage of all the other great benefits of the scheme.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference, and the facilities were excellent. The staff, both at reception and in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. The Terrace Bar was a good place to chill. My only reservation was the price of the Internet connection, but as I was with a conference we did not have to pay it. Would stay again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear johndcy,
Thank You for your very kind comments with regards to our staff and hotel facilities. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Booked a one night stay for a birthday treat. We are regular patrons of Holiday Inn but never stayed here before. As soon as we walked in we knew we had made a good choice. The refurbishment is of an excellent standard and more like a 5 star hotel! It was lovely to relax on the patio and terrace area overlooking the river and we were so lucky with the weather.
We were looking forward to using the pool, however this was closed for 2 weeks. The hotel had made alternative arrangements at the local leisure centre but we decided no to use this and chilled on the terrace instead.
We normally eat out when staying in hotels but the restaurant offer of 2 starters, mains and glass of wine for £29.99 was too good to miss. The meal was excellent and service faultless.
Every staff member we encountered was professional, courteous and nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Amanda51
I was glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found everything to the highest standard. I hope you had a very enjoyable birthday in Stratford upon Avon and that you do indeed return to us soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Arrived here on a Saturday morning as a day delegate for a conference. Major building works meant that over half their designated parking bays for disabled guests were out of service as was the main entrance. I was redirected by signs to another entrance and when I got there it was clear there was no way in with a wheelchair. A drive round the hotel found other step free entrances, but these were all closed up. Eventually I found signs directing me to a path at the side of the building works.

I had someone fetch a member of hotel staff as there was nowhere to park within an acceptable distance unless I blocked in other cars or obstructed the workmen. They allowed me to park in the roadway.

The temporary route to a fire exit involved negotiating workmen on ladders above the path, very uneven paving slabs and a fairly steep gradient between bushes. At the top of this path I came to a door that had a further wooden slope and then a threshold. With 60 years of experience using a manual wheelchair I knew that the combined gradients and the threshold were too significant to be safely negotiated and that the risk of my wheelchair overturning and injuring both me and anyone helping me was too great. No help was offered by the hotel employee.

I turned round and drove home, after telling the duty manager I was very unhappy. A total waste of three and a half hours and a round trip of 12 miles.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear The WheelerMk,

We have also received your letter of complaint detailed the issues experienced and your expectations to follow from this in terms of an apology and your request for compensation. We will be in touch in the near future once we have investigated into the allegations made, however I do feel that we had made reasonable adaptations to the hotel to allow access whilst the new accessible ramp is finished.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This hotel was chosen for a conference of 400 because it has a large ballroom and a great location by the river and theatre. The amenities are what you would expect from a Holiday Inn, but this one has just had an expensive facelift and the public areas are really lovely with a terrace overlooking the water and spacious reception area. I was part of the team running the conference and, without exception, everyone I dealt with was friendly, supportive and courteou, responding to changes of plan quickly and efficiently. I think Cavalier Chesham was probably at the same conference although we did not experience the water problems, perhaps because we were always up for a 7.30am meeting and ahead of the crowd. The swimming pool and spa were out of action but alternative arrangements had been made. I would highly recommend this venue for a large event like a wedding or conference. Well done Jack, Jeff and all at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandra M

Dear Sandra M
It is always lovely to hear that not onlyour leisure guests enjoy their stays but that we are also able to provide excellent facilities and service to our conference’s. Thank You for your kind comments about our staff and facilities, I will ensure I pass on your comments to the team and hope that you will consider us again for any future conference you may hold.

Kind Regard

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited this hotel for a weekend conference which was attended by 400 delegates. The hotel coped well with us although there was a slight queue for breakfast. We found the room comfortable although there seemed to be some problem with the water pressure with the loo not flushing fully and a less than inspiring pressure from the shower. Parking was free but beware the exorbitant charges foe internet connection. The hotel was experiencing major problems with the computerised key system but the staff coped well with the large number of clients who had to have their key cards reporgrammed. All staff were courteous and helpful.
The hotel is very conveniently situated for all of the amenities of Stratford.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philip R
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear CavalierChesham,
I’m sorry to read that you had some issues with the water pressure and your key cards not working, indeed we did have an error with our key card encoders that weekend which has since been resolved. Although you did encounter these issues I was glad you thought our staff coped with your large conference well. We hope to see you again

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed for a weekend two night break with my husband.
Excellent location for the town and the River Avon at the bottom of the Hotel gardens.
The staff on Reception and the Restaurant were efficient, friendly and always ready to help.
It was a busy time for the hotel as a number of conventions on site were taking place but the staff seemed to cope admirably.
Fully recommend for location and service!

Stayed: May 2014

Dear Norma_h551993
Thank you for you kind comments regarding our staff and location, I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to us again soon