“Very good, perfect location, good quality”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here when visiting Stratford for the theatre. The hotel is perfectly located, right in the centre, overlooking the river and directly opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

The hotel is large with big conference facilities, a large lounge, bar, restaurant and outdoor terrace overlooking the river. The public areas were well appointed and modern... excellent.

The bar was a relaxing lounge with plenty of different styles of seating for all types of guests. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant but breakfast was a wide variety of items and freshly prepared hot food... very good.

The room was clean and well equipped - we were upgraded to an executive room overlooking the entrance and with a view towards the theatre. It was reasonably comfortable and clean however it was a little 'tired' and the bed was badly (and uncomfortably) made with sheets that didn't fit. I believe the hotel is going through a refit so we may have been in one of the older rooms.

The only criticism I could make was the wifi service - it was exceptionally confusing to get online and we ended up signing up four times (which were reversed without fuss). I got this impression this was a regular occurrence. Even when online the performance wasn't great.

Overall it is very good and a great place to stay in central Stratford.

1  Thank MAR-AM-UK
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear MAR-AM-UK

Thank You for your kind comments about our hotel. With regards to the WIFI service I will look into this with Swisscom our wireless service provider to see if we can make it less confusing for our guests and to improve the service they provide for us. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,412)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location for staying in town and being able to walk everywhere. The restaurant was great and kids eat free during summer! Swimming pool, sauna and steam room were also fine. I did not use the new gym but it looked very good. Staff were really attentive and helpful. I forgot my book there and the hotel kindly offered to mail it back to my home free of charge. Once they refurb the bedrooms it will be even better.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 26Sofie26

Dear 26Sofie26

Thank You very much for your review, I hope you return to us soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

When you book this holiday you will auto think oh it will be ok it's just a holiday inn! Well this hotel has had a massive refurb on the ground floor - check in, lobby, bar, restaurant, garden and it is lush! It is modern and swanky very nice!
The bedrooms haven't been done but I am led to believe this will follow at some point but rooms are very nice all the same
All in all as lovely hotel can' t fault it and Central to everything.
Make sure you book breakfast at reception as it's cheaper or eat out even cheaper!

Room Tip: Executive room great !

Dear Jenni B

I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we’re able to take full advantage of our newly refurbished ground floor facilities. I hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Visited yesterday afternoon with friends from Ireland. I have been to this hotel a few times and it has always been good, but I have to say that the refurbed bar and terrace is absolutely stunning. We spent a lovely couple of hours sat on the contemporary designed terrace on the sun enjoying the riverside views. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Stratford4

Our new Terrace Patio is indeed stunning and ideal to enjoy the sun shine, I’m very glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Only my second time at a holiday inn. Bedrooms adequate but comfy, bathroom a little tired but OK. Public area, bat and terrace are really lovely and feel very special. We did not eat here so can't comment. But the staff here as at the other holiday inn I have stayed at were so lovely, friendly, cheerful and helpful without being over the top, they really made the stay.

Dear Alirea

It’s always lovely to hear that our guests find our staff so friendly and helpful and are able to ensure you enjoy your stay. I hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed in the hotel for one night this week. Ample car parking available - the hotel is large and does seem to have sufficient parking. Probably due to all the conferences etc they hold.
Lobby area really is lovely and not what you'd expect to see in a Holiday Inn. Marble and excellent lighting everywhere.
Check in was easy, the receptionist was incredibly helpful and the two ladies did help me with directions ready fir the following morning - I was even provided with a small map, on which she highlighted the roads needed. That was really appreciated.
The hotel is currently undergoing renovation and there were decorators on my floor, but you couldn't smell paint at all in my room. They were very careful to keep telling me where the wet pain was so I didn't brush against it. My room was good. Not refurbished as yet but was large, clean with a good bathroom. Bed was comfy and as always, with a choice of pillows.
I didn't eat in the restaurant but ordered room service. Again the chap on the phone was very helpful. It arrived when he said it would and the lady who brought it couldn't have been more pleasant. Food was fab and to have a nan meal, dessert, alcoholic drink and the tray charge for less than £25 is impressive. There was a deal I could see advertised for the restaurant for two to eat for £29.99 but as it was just me this wasn't possible!!!
Breakfast was good with all the usual fare available. Only one niggle was the help yourself coffee machine which tended to have a continuous queue so I didn't bother and had juice instead.
Check out again was simple and quick and the directions I had been given the evening before were spot on.
Would I stay here again - definitely, and yes I would recommend it too.

Room Tip: For a very quiet night, ask not to be above the ball room. I overlooked its flat roof and could hear...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear walesholidayaddict

I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found all the hotel facilities fantastic and all our team members very efficient and knowledge able. I will make sure your comments with regards to the coffee machines at breakfast are passed on to the Food and Beverage Manager so see if there is a way for us to ease the queues. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have just stayed at the holiday inn with our daughter what a memorable experience it was the
staff are so helpful and friendly we struck up a rapport with Adrian and Luuk in the terrace bar
they were a credit to the team. Having said that all the staff were great and couldnt do enough to
help you. The rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean the bed was huge and has spoilt us, our
bed at home is tiny by comparison. The food was delicious and we really loved the self service
breakfast and the variety of food available. The hotel is so convenient for walking into the town centre only 5 minutes yet didnt hear any traffic noise lovely outlook onto the river frontage.
Would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Yvonne c

Thank you very much for your review, I be sure to share your comments with the team and especially to Adrian and Luuk who really are a credit to our food and beverage team. We look forward to seeing you again.