“Good with a little bit of bad”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
“Good with a little bit of bad”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for business on Wednesday night. I checked in very easily and was told my room number, I wasn't warned that my room was on the top floor, furthest from the lifts, it was a fair old slog mad worse by the fact it was a boiling hot day. By the time I got to my room I was melting with the heat and my heart sank when I realised the air con wasn't really working, even on full, the cold air being blown out was minimal and made no difference to the temperature of the room.
After trying to open the windows (that were screwed shut) I attempted to log on to the wifi as I had no internet signal on my phone. This didn't work which was very annoying.
I ordered room service and had the steak and ale pie, it came very quick and tasty delicious, I couldn't fault the food at all.
I did not have a good night's sleep as the room was so unbearably hot, I ended up getting up in the night to have a cold shower.
I did mention when I checked out that there was no wifi in my room and they said they had problems with it from my room, I wish they had told me that when I got there.
The hotel was 'ok', I wouldn't go out of my way to go back there again, I would probably try one of the neighbouring hotels.
One last thing, the breakfact was amazing, loads to choose from, buffet style, very friendly staff and it set me up for the day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to reception if you require WIFI to work
1 Thank Food4thought2007
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Food4throught2007,

I’m very sorry to read that you experienced some issues during your stay with regards to the air conditioning and the WIFI. We are always more than happy to offer our guests room moves if they are unhappy with the room allocated to them, I understand from your review that these issues weren’t communicated to the front desk until checkout, had they been I’m sure we would have been able to resolve the issues and ensured you had a good night sleep. I’m very sorry to read that you feel you wouldn’t like to return to the hotel due to the issues you experienced, however if you would like to contact me directly on fom.histratford@qmh-hotels.com, I will be more than happy to discuss the issues you experienced further.

Acting Reception Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is located on the river Avon so it has some wonderful views. The room was a good size and staff were very friendly. The gym had enough equipment for people to use in the morning rush period. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice. Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in Stratford-upon-Avon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John W
Dear John W,

Thank You very much for your review and for your recommendations. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay and where able to take advantage of our gym facilities.

Kind regards
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here on business whilst attending a Conference. The foyer and ground floor areas are very modern with good open areas for relaxing. The terrace overlooking the river is superb with more than sufficient comfortable seating areas and very useful terrace heaters for the evening. Unfortunately the rooms upstairs are not quite of the same standard although very clean and comfortable - just not as interesting as downstairs. However a big disappointment was the bathroom which was tired and the shower which was quite frankly pathetic - a mere trickle and not very warm. The location is fantastic being in the centre and extremely close to lots of Shakespeare related sites.

Dear Munrovia,

I’ve very happy you enjoyed our refurbished areas to include our new terrace patio. Thank You for your comments with regards to the standards of the bedrooms I have taken note of them for any future bedroom refurbishments. I do hope you think of us again for any future trips to Stratford upon Avon.

Southampton UK
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Lovely hotel, beautiful setting by the river Avon, cannot go wrong if you want a central place to stay in Shakespeare,'s home town of Stratford. Hotel rooms have massive beds clean and tidy, showers could be better but staff are very friendly and welcoming and nice bar and eating area with river views, excellent stay and would not hesitate to revisit

Room Tip: Try and get a room that looks onto the river
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Finchie46,
Thank you for your review, its fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would like to visit us again.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We were surprised at the standard of service and food at this hotel having had a previous bad experience with Holiday Inns in the USA. The bar staff in particular were well above average and we would recommend this hotel to anyone. Will stay at this hotel on all future visits to Stratford upon Avon.

Room Tip: We had a suite which could obviously be extended to a two bedroom unit. The person in the attached r...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear nevb2nds,

Its always fantastic to read reviews like this. I’m exceeding pleased you were impressed by our high standards of service. We look forward to your next visists.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is in the heart of Stratford across the road to the town centre and the canal lock. It has an impressive lounge, bar and sun deck area which overlooks the canal. The hotel has a spa and pool for guests.There is a river barge trip from thie decking area. The rooms were immaculate and spacious. We had a double room. There is a lift to all floors. Breakfast is served buffet style and there is plenty of good food to choose from.
we walked through town following the signs to Shakespeares home, grave site and then to Anne Hathaways cottage. At a leisurely stroll this took about three hours including visits.
There is an open top sightseeing tour bus also.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy P
Dear Tracy P,

I’m very glad you enjoyed your trip to Stratford upon Avon and that you were impressed by our newly refurbished lounge, bar and terrace patio. We do hop you visit us again.

UK
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have just stayed at the Holiday Inn Stratford Upon Avon for 3 nights on business. Each day was a long one, 12 hours in a board room, so each night, I just wanted to go back to the hotel, have a glass of wine and something to eat, no fuss and an early night. Being in the heart of Stratford Upon Avon, people were recommending for me to go out to the many different restaurants in the area, but on the first night, I opted to stay in at the hotel Restaurant. It was fantastic. I do not normally rave about branded hotel restaurant, but this hotel is different. The menu had a lot of choice, was superbly cooked and presented and the 2 main guys in the restaurant (I think Restaurant manager and bar manager) were brilliant. There were actually 3 of us and they looked after us so well, that we decided to spend the next 2 nights dining in also. The reception area and the bar / restaurant have been refurbished to a very high standard. And the hotel now has some lovely modern outdoor seating area, overlooking the Avon. It really was a brilliant stay. Thank you!

Dear Binfield,

Thank You for your glowing comments regarding the service you received from our Restaurant and bar staff its always lovely to hear. We hope to see you again soon