“Excellent location”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This large hotel has been recently renovated and looks fantastic! The bar areas (lounge and sport) are modern but full of character and all the public areas are interesting to look around. The gardens/outdoor lounge areas are ideal for summer evenings and the rooms are furnished and cleaned to a high standard. The location is ideal for anyone visiting the area as it is a short walk over the canal to the town. Breakfast was also excellent. I had a few minor niggles with staff such as not having towels in the room a few times and then having to ask reception repeatedly to send them up but these were nothing in the scheme of things. We also attended a function during our stay which catered a 5 course meal for 500 guests and the service was great - food was high quality and hot. What more could you ask for?? I will be back with my family soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
HISUA, Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Nicole L
Our newly refurbished areas of the hotel are indeed fantastic, I’m very glad you had the opportunity to enjoy them. We look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel with your family soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed her for a weekend break in May.
Room very clean, staff friendly and helpful, excellent location within walking distance of town centre and places of interest. Lovely terrace area by the river and leisure facilities were fine.
We booked a dinner, bed and breakfast package and received excellent service from the manager of the restaurant when one of our party did not like the set meal options. They provided an alternative option at no extra cost and continually checked we were happy with the service, we couldn't fault them. Plenty of choice at buffet breakfast
Only negatives were, we found the beds extremely firm (even thoughI like a firm bed), shower was a dribble of water but hot and we could hear passing traffic in our room which woke us up early.
Overall would definitely return again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ecsc
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel, I’m very pleased you enjoyed your stay and especially the service you received in the restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here for a night away with work, rooms were very clean and comfortable and a decent size. Bathroom was suitable, I did have an issue with the shower but maintenance came straight up and fixed it immediately. The downstairs of the hotel is very modern and has a great terrace area. I would like to return to Stratford for a weekend and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear bex090690

Its fantastic to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would like to stay with us again. Thank You for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We booked this hotel for a visit to Stratford on Avon, hoping for a mixture of relaxation and sightseeing. The hotel has a pool and jacuzzi and this was a big part of why we booked it. Sadly, the jacuzzi wasn't working for most of the time we were there. The pool is very small and the changing rooms very, very basic. The hotel has spent a lot of money upgrading the conferencing facilities and the public areas on the ground floor but as soon as we stepped out of the lift it was clear that the rest of the hotel feels very outdated and neglected. Our room was dark and gloomy with only basic furnishings. There were only two very small drawers in the whole room and a small-ish wardrobe. We had booked for six nights and the first night the beds were so hard and uncomfortable and the pillows and bedding really poor so another 5 nights wasn't a great prospect. On arrival (Sunday lunchtime) we tried to order sandwiches and drinks in the bar but staff were preoccupied with their own conversations and hadn't even begun getting our drinks after 15 minutes (and, no, it wasn't that busy). The Leisure club is accessed through the restaurant and also some of the conferencing rooms. This had a twofold disadvantage, one being that to go for swim you had to be pretty much fully dressed and not in any sort of casual dress state to avoid embarrassment in the dining room. Secondly, one evening we were eating in the restaurant when a conference ended and the whole big group came pouring out right through the dining area which felt invasive and disruptive to diners. There was a fairly limited menu which offered two meals (2 courses) and wine at a reasonable price. We had this one evening but the next time we decided to eat in the restaurant I would have liked to eat from the hot buffet but this was 4 courses for a fixed price and as a diabetic I couldn't have the dessert. I asked about this but received a totally unsympathetic turn down to my enquiry about any leeway with this. Also, the way the restaurant worked in the evening was that one person took your order then someone totally different brought your food from the kitchen. We had a very long wait for our starters (25 mins) which, added to all the other factors that night actually just ruined the evening.
The hotel really ruined our break to the extent that I left after 5 nights although my partner stayed on for the last night. We've been Holiday Inn patrons all over Europe for 30 years but this experience has put us right off. Couldn't possibly recommend :-(

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HISUA, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Patty 52_13,

Please accept my apologies that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, I fully appreciate that the Jacuzzi being out of action due to a complete refit of a new Jacuzzi was disappointing but a scheduled programme of works that needed doing and was advertised on the IHG website and with reservations as soon as it was planned.
I have discussed your comments with the F & B team about attention of service which did surprise me as on the whole we receive glowing comments about them,

I do find several aspects of your review very confusing almost as if you didn’t stay at my hotel, in terms of the leisure club this can be accessed directly from the staircase at the end of the bedroom corridors or through the ground floor, changing rooms are available with towels so there would be no need, in my opinion to walk through the ground floor in a casual state. In the restaurant we offer a full A`la carte menu along with a carvery on busier nights when tour guests are in, alongside the 2 dine option for £29.99 that you mention. I am surprised that you felt that there was nothing desert wise you could eat as we are very flexible around this, in fact there has recently been several reviews praising this aspect.

I am also surprised that if the stay was as bad as you mention that you didn’t try to speak to myself or another of my management team as we would have endeavoured to have sorted out every issue that we could have for you. I would urge you to contact me directly on ops.histratford@qmh-hotels.com so that I may make some attempt to resolve the issues listed.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Peter Byard
Resident Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for business on Wednesday night. I checked in very easily and was told my room number, I wasn't warned that my room was on the top floor, furthest from the lifts, it was a fair old slog mad worse by the fact it was a boiling hot day. By the time I got to my room I was melting with the heat and my heart sank when I realised the air con wasn't really working, even on full, the cold air being blown out was minimal and made no difference to the temperature of the room.
After trying to open the windows (that were screwed shut) I attempted to log on to the wifi as I had no internet signal on my phone. This didn't work which was very annoying.
I ordered room service and had the steak and ale pie, it came very quick and tasty delicious, I couldn't fault the food at all.
I did not have a good night's sleep as the room was so unbearably hot, I ended up getting up in the night to have a cold shower.
I did mention when I checked out that there was no wifi in my room and they said they had problems with it from my room, I wish they had told me that when I got there.
The hotel was 'ok', I wouldn't go out of my way to go back there again, I would probably try one of the neighbouring hotels.
One last thing, the breakfact was amazing, loads to choose from, buffet style, very friendly staff and it set me up for the day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to reception if you require WIFI to work
1  Thank Food4thought2007

Dear Food4throught2007,

I’m very sorry to read that you experienced some issues during your stay with regards to the air conditioning and the WIFI. We are always more than happy to offer our guests room moves if they are unhappy with the room allocated to them, I understand from your review that these issues weren’t communicated to the front desk until checkout, had they been I’m sure we would have been able to resolve the issues and ensured you had a good night sleep. I’m very sorry to read that you feel you wouldn’t like to return to the hotel due to the issues you experienced, however if you would like to contact me directly on fom.histratford@qmh-hotels.com, I will be more than happy to discuss the issues you experienced further.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is located on the river Avon so it has some wonderful views. The room was a good size and staff were very friendly. The gym had enough equipment for people to use in the morning rush period. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice. Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay in Stratford-upon-Avon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John W

Dear John W,

Thank You very much for your review and for your recommendations. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay and where able to take advantage of our gym facilities.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here on business whilst attending a Conference. The foyer and ground floor areas are very modern with good open areas for relaxing. The terrace overlooking the river is superb with more than sufficient comfortable seating areas and very useful terrace heaters for the evening. Unfortunately the rooms upstairs are not quite of the same standard although very clean and comfortable - just not as interesting as downstairs. However a big disappointment was the bathroom which was tired and the shower which was quite frankly pathetic - a mere trickle and not very warm. The location is fantastic being in the centre and extremely close to lots of Shakespeare related sites.

Dear Munrovia,

I’ve very happy you enjoyed our refurbished areas to include our new terrace patio. Thank You for your comments with regards to the standards of the bedrooms I have taken note of them for any future bedroom refurbishments. I do hope you think of us again for any future trips to Stratford upon Avon.