“Brilliant hotel”

Crowne Plaza Stratford-Upon-Avon
Reviewed 30 July 2009

This is our first stay at the hotel for three years and since then they have finished their renovations.

I was really pleased to see that they have increased the number of disabled badge car park places.

Check-in went smoothly and the receptionists were very friendly and helpful especially when I needed to know where the nearest Walk In Centre was.

Since the last time we stayed here they have completely refurbished the bedrooms and they're lovely. The bathroom was spotless. The bedroom furniture wasn't dark and dingy like the last time. If I had to criticize the bedroom it would be for two reasons. The TV was quite big and bulky - most hotels have now gone for flat screen TV's, and there wasn't any biscuits in the hospitality tray. Picky I know but you do get both of these things in budget hotels.

Other than breakfast we didn't eat in the restaurant. However at the time of our stay they were offering a really good deal should you wished to dine in their restaurant (we're not a big fan of carverys so went to the Red Lion over the road...). Breakfast was splendid and very fresh. Again if you were staying room only they had a great deal for Breakfast.

They have a large bar and lounge and the bar prices were on the high side but that's standard for hotels. However on arrival we were given a book of discount vouchers for the bar and restaurant which softened the blow of the high prices a little.

Because of the location of the hotel being next to the river and the extensive grounds they have, the hotel was plagued with little flies which was extremely irritating. Instead of having a relaxing drink in the lounge, we spent our time wafting the flies away and had to leave two drinks because of flies landing in them (not nice...). We weren't the only ones to find this annoying. One couple did complain but was told it was just one of those things.

Although there is a car parking charge of £5 per stay, given it's central location, I think that was very good value.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, though next time we might stay a little later or earlier in the year to avoid the pesky flies....

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,412)

Reviewed 28 July 2009

I would heartily recommend the hotel, we had a lovely time there. The location is ideal, remarkably central and right next to the river (although we didn't have a very good view from our room, one of the only slight negatives). The service was exceptionally good everywhere, the pool area was fine for a quick dip and steam etc and the room facilities were great. I thought the breakfast was fantastic, a huge selection of generally decent food (although I agree with an earlier reviewer about the scrambled egg, that was only one of about a hundred dishes available) and we also ate in the bar on 2 evenings - very welcoming with small children and decent food.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This hotel has restored my faith in the Holiday Inn brand – a brand with which I had had some bad experiences during 2008 but have stayed here several times during 2009 and never been disappointed. The hotel is located centrally in Stratford.
Receptionists are efficient and I have never been kept waiting at check-in or check-out. One oddity was that on one occasion I was asked to pay the room charge up front which seemed odd as I am a Priority Club member, they have a credit card number on file and could have just asked for the customary swipe for pre-authorisation. Other times I have just been checked in using the credit card number on my Priority Club profile. Watch out however as they automatically add car parking charges to you bill and if you don’t have a car with you then you need to ask for these to be refunded.
Rooms are a good size and have all usual facilities. They have both air conditioning and windows which open a reasonable way so you can cool/heat the room as you prefer.
There is a reasonably sized swimming pool for a hotel.
The restaurant is really good serving a buffet style carvery menu in the evenings. There is a real good choice of meals including roasts; the price includes three courses and coffee. I now book dinner, bed & breakfast rates – as this is one hotel where I definitely want to eat in. Service at dinner and breakfast is excellent. I have also had room service on previous stays when I have needed to keep working, and that too has been good quality, well presented and efficiently served.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Stayed for one night, 20 June for a small family reunion. Suited us perfectly. A few steps from the town centre, and very clean and comfortable rooms. Had a lovely evening out, would have liked to have stayed longer in the bar chatting but the shutters went up at 1am. Would have thought a four star hotel could have the bar stay open for residents. We would have liked to stay up chatting for longer as not seen each other in ages.

Only gripe I can think of is that the bar manager (Terrace Bar) was very aloof, and lots of staff standing around chatting when clearly there were customers waiting to be served.

Breakfast was fine, but took a while to locate butter for the toast, milk was missing for the cereal, and coffee produced by the machine was terrible. The whole process was very DIY.

Other than these gripes a good stay and an excellent location. Enjoyed sitting on the terrace of Cox's Yard, just opposite the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank warbosayer
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We’d stayed at this hotel before (when it was a Moat House) on our very first trip to what has become a favourite part of the world for us – on that occasion I was running in the Shakespeare marathon (I recall the rooms being very comfortable) – this time around we were repatriating my partner’s daughter from her student accommodation at Birmingham university back to the comforts of home back in Kent. We usually try and stay at the Shakespeare or the rather tired Thistle as we prefer the locations of these hotels but both were full.

The hotel is conveniently situated for all that this charming town has to offer with plentiful parking available (£5.00 surcharge). In addition to the usual facilities there is a small swimming pool and a gym.

We checked in after a brief skirmish around the shops (my partner had forgotten to bring her underwear and I’d managed not to bring any socks). The young lady on reception was charming and very helpful – almost too helpful in giving out advice and directions (and local restaurant recommendations etc) to the couple at the head of an ever increasing and frustrated queue. To our pleasant surprise we were upgraded to a suite consisting of a lounge/dining room and large separate bedroom – very bright airy and spacious. If we’d known we would have invited some friends around and thrown a party.

After an evening on the town (a brief pub crawl followed by dinner) we tottered wearily back for a comfortable night’s sleep in the huge bed - next morning we made full use of both bathrooms before heading down to the busy restaurant for breakfast.

Breakfast proved to be a labour intensive affair – wide buffet selection available including make your own tea/ coffee and toast etc – no sooner was my backside planted on the chair and I was back up again to fetch or carry something back to the table. I wouldn’t mind too much but the coffee machine managed to dispense possibly the worst cup of coffee I’ve ever tasted and the staff seemed to be very slow replenishing the buffet allowing certain items to run down to zero. Also the quality of some of the items was not especially good (particularly the rubbery scrambled egg) – motorway service stations serve up fresher, hotter more palatable fare.

Overall a short, comfortable and relaxing stay – it has the feeling of being a well run hotel where the staff try to please - we’d be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sub_three
Reviewed 6 June 2009

4 nights break booked at the very last minute so had to pay top whack to get a NON-smoking room - hence the "value" comment. Perfect location with all the attractions within easy walking distance and more or less on the level. Found all the staff superb - friendly and helpful. Having read some of the previous comments either the breakfasts were better when I was there or I've got low expectations!!! They were as good as I've had in any 4* hotel - I was served coffee and, frankly, I'd rather do my toast and have it when I want it, rather than have it go cold. Found the room and lounge comfortable and enjoyed the pool and spa facilities. The only downside was that the evening carvery was variable in both quantity and quality - hence my not giving 5* overall.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Hatt
Reviewed 25 May 2009

This hotel is in a prime location right in the centre of Stratford upon Avon; five minutes' walk to the RSC, shops and a wide range of restaurants.
There's plenty of car parking, which costs residents just £5 for the duration of their stay, come and go as often as you like,however you have to get an exit ticket from the front desk each time which can take a while at busy times.
The hotel is quite large and many of the rooms feel like they're a long long way from the hotel entrance.
The rooms are standard Holiday Inn fare; good size, comfortable beds. No mini-bar, which is an advantage in my mind. The CRT TVs are starting to feel rather dated, and there's a limited selection of channels - though all the main ones are there plus radio stations.
As others have noted, the breakfast is merely average, and an entirely do-it-yourself affair. The coffee machines are a bottleneck at busy times and particularly when one or both shut down needing attention - the staff should monitor them more closely.
The majority of the hotel staff are pleasant and friendly but overall the hotel feels like it is runnng on automatic; there's no impression of any passionate leadership or sense of direction to the enterprise. I wonder whether, by virtue of their location, the hotel is busy enough not to have to try harder. That's a shame because this place could be so much better.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business