“An excellent stay with one unfortunate minus point”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Hythe, United Kingdom
“An excellent stay with one unfortunate minus point”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Just back from a two night stay which ended very enjoyably. Unfortunately, my first night was less than restful: the windows of my first-floor room were directly above several large air-conditioning outlets serving the ground floor, and once I'd turned off the TV and settled down to sleep I discovered that the noise from them was amazingly loud. I actually got up and looked out, expecting to see a large lorry or similar in the adjacent car park with its engine running, before I discovered the real source.

In the morning, the pleasant chap on reception was sympathetic enough and offered me a room change. I was going to be out all day, so as instructed, I left my packed bag in the room for him to move for me.

When I arrived back at just past 1am, the desk staff were baffled by my request for my new room details: they knew nothing about it. It took three people around fifteen minutes to sort it all out, but eventually I went off to an excellent - and splendidly quiet - sleep. So the "sleep quality" rating below applies to only the first of my two nights.

As it happens, I was in a good mood and perfectly happy to wait while all this was done. But if I hadn't been, or had been particularly tired, my impression of the hotel would not have been anything like so positive.

All that apart, I enjoyed the place, the service, the decor, the size of the room(s) and the food. And the location is splendid.

Room Tip: Make a point of asking if your room overlooks the ground floor air conditioning units. And if it do...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Bert-Coules

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry about the disturbance, I have to be honest it is not something that has been brought to my attention before so I will have this investigated further. I am disappointed our communication was not as would be expected and I would thank you for your undoubted patience at that time of night. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel despite this situation.

Annie Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the room in terms of space and decoration. We chose this room for its location - a mere 5 minute walk to the centre. The breakfast whilst ample was ok, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Would I go there again, perhaps not. My preference would be for something smaller and a little more intimate

Purple_Basil

I am delighted that you were impressed by the room size! Thank you for your review.

Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed here on the 2/Sept/2013 and booked last minute at a cost of £110 inc breakfast and parking (£5). The hotel is quite impressive, clean and well decorated. Our room was stylish with enough room for the two of us and included a table and chairs, iron & ironing board, fridge and tea / coffee making facilities. The bathroom was clean and modern with a good powerful shower and some nice complimentary toiletries
Breakfast was very nice, there was a choice of fully cooked (buffet style), cereals, fruit & continental and the service was very friendly.
If your looking for somewhere to stay as a treat I recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Flep
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Flep

Thank you for your recommendation. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We have just arrived home after a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. The room was perfect, very large and spotlessly clean. The breakfast was excellent, a large selection to suit all tastes. All the staff were friendly and polite. Just a 5 minute walk from the town and all its amenities. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank julie h
Julie H

Fab review thank you! See you on your next visit.

Fethiye, Turkey
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Having stayed in this hotel before and having had a good experience I decided to book for a second stay on line. Not remembering its name but knowing it was a Q hotel I made my booking. On arrival I found that I had booked into the Stratford Manor which is out of town. We expressly wanted to be able to walk to the theatre so this did not suit us at all. Whilst we were accommodated in the Stratford quite politely, it did take a couple of phone calls and we were told we were lucky to gain the last double. We were also asked to pay £10 more which I did feel slightly peeved about. Am I being unreasonable? Surely Q hotels should spell out the distinction between these 2 hotel on their direct booking web site more clearly and honour the price we originally booked the room for.

That saying the rooms are comfortable and well presented.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Ruth J

Thank you for your feedback. We do detail on our web sites the difference in both location and hotel style, being in the town centre the rooms do differ in price. I am sorry that this wasn't made clear that the time. I do hope that you were able to enjoy your visit despite the initial situation.

Kind regards
Boston, Lincolnshire
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Very impressed
Initially slightly disappointed in that we'd booked by internet and asked (by internet) for a walk-in shower (wife has walking difficulties); 6 days later received a very apologetic call from the hotel - all such rooms had been requested and allocated, and they'd only just received our request from the intermediary agent - they'd had the bath side measured, 22 inches, had a step available and detachable seat, etc - we said we'd manage
But room was very good, and staff were extremely efficient and friendly
Hotel warns that late weekend breakfasts can get very busy - it was, but the staff on duty were "spot on" in terms of attentiveness and professionalism, and the breakfast range was excellent
Other hotels can learn from this one!

Room Tip: We had room 222, son and daughter-in-law had 214 - both good
tomwx

I am delighted that the team cared for your needs and you were able to enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your review.

Cheshire
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Five of us travelled to Stratford for a weekend and found the hotel to be excellent. I had stayed there 5 years ago and it was just as good as it was then. All of the staff that we met were very friendly, more than you normally get at larger hotels. The whole hotel was comfortable, breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and good fresh food and quick service even though the dining room was full. The rooms and beds were very comfortable. The location was perfect as it took 5 minutes to walk to the heart of town but it was quiet so there was no disturbances at night. We would all definitely stay there again if visiting the area and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We needed three rooms for our trip and all of them were of a similar style and quality.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maureen W
Maureen W

Thanks for your review, look forward to seeing you next trip!