“A faultless stay”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Bude, United Kingdom
“A faultless stay”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Perfect location only ten minutes walk from the RSC theatre and five minutes from the town square. The hotel is modern but still has a nice ambience, helped by the grounds which distance it from the outside world. Our room was large and very well appointed with quality fittings and the bed was really comfortable. Breakfast is first class and the staff are all so friendly and helpful. And despite being in the centre of Stratford upon Avon there is a large private and secure car park (£5 per day). We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Stephen2505

Look forward to seeing you back soon! I am delighted that you enjoyed your break away.

Annie Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bewdley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Good hotel in convenient location (with parking) reception staff very friendly and helpful and the room was large and clean.
Breakfast was good overall a very pleasant experience and we would certainly stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Simon D

Thank you for your review and kind comments. I do hope you will return soon.

Kendal
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

At first, on the surface, this hotel comes across quite well. The room was clean and modern, if a bit cramped. The fault with the hearing was quickly rectified. However, it is a bit soulless. The bar and restaurant were hardly used and lacked in any kind of atmosphere. But the worst part of our visit was that on checking out I wasn't given a copy of the bill to check before paying. It was only after paying that I was given an itemised copy of the bill. Upon checking the bill it became obvious that we had been overcharged by £46 during our brief visit to the bar on our first evening. We had two glasses of wine each ( my wife and I) but the bill also showed two bottles of wine. As I pointed out to the receptionist, if we had consumed two bottles of wine, plus four glasses, after the bottle we had with our meal, I think our presence would have been memorable. The receptionist could not take my word for it and went to look for te person that had been on duty in the bar that evening. On returning, he agreed to remove the bottles from our bill, but not with any apology, rather a lecture on being careful about bar bills. There was also the small matter of a charge of £4.60 for the olives and nuts that the barmaid offered to us without any explanation that we would be charged for these. The hotel is ok, but the staff need to be given some training in what they can charge for and when and maybe to recognise that sometimes, the customer is right and doesn't need lecturing in being careful of bar staff that can make 'mistakes'. There are better places to stay in Stratford.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobInC113
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
RobinC

I am sorry for the mistake on departure with your bill. I have spoken with the person who dealt with this on check out and he joins me in apologising for the concern caused. It is our internal process to investigate any signed dockets that are queried in a diplomatic way ensuring our stocks remain accurate. Thank you for your constructive feedback, please be assured these issues will be addressed.

Merseyside
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We returned to The Stratford for a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in the same feature room as we had stayed in in May and this was actually our 3rd stay. Everything was really good and the staff were very friendly and helpful , particularly Adina in the Restaurant who remembered us from our last stay, and Andrew in the Bar, but we had a few little niggles which prevent it from being perfect. Firstly, on check in, a very pleasant young lady, who was only `In Training` forgot to mention a few things and seemed a bit flustered which was understandable as she was left on her own on a busy Friday afternoon with `phones ringing, postmen coming -- and of course people checking in. It would be a smoother and more professional `first impression` of the hotel if at least 2 Receptionists were on duty at the busy times of day. Our room should have had Sky TV but it was not available until we asked Reception who, in fairness, sent up a very helpful man immediately who gave us the remote which should have been in the room. Our other little niggles relate to the Restaurant. We ate in the Hotel on the first 2 nights, Friday+Saturday. The food was very good, although the menu we found to be a bit restrictive, and the staff very nice, but the time we waited to receive each course was exceptionally long, particularly on the Friday night. Including ourselves, there were 6 couples in the restaurant on the Friday night, and 7 couples on the Saturday, though there was also a function on both nights, so we could not understand the length of time from the time the order was taken and actually being served. Also, on the Friday night we were served our wine without a wine cooler which , in itself is not a big issue but just not what we would expect. We were surprised when we arrived at the Restaurant for dinner on the Saturday night to find they had no record of our reservation despite the fact that we had pre booked the time when making the original reservation and again asked at check in if they had confirmation of our booking and the time on both nights. As I say, these are minor gripes but overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will certainly return again.

Journeymanmerseyside

Thank you for your feedback. Please be assured I will review this with our food and beverage manager and ensure she takes the appropriate action, I am sorry for any disappointment caused on this occasion. I am delighted that you continue to choose The Stratford and I am sorry that on this occasion there were a few issues. I will ensure the team named are aware of your kind comments.

London
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I got to spend a night in this hotel. It was a massive upgrade from the holiday in express that I always liked. I was a little upset that this hotel is not a stone throw away distance from national express stop and I actually have to walk. But as I reached this hotel it was quite a clean and decent. A good music was played. The moment I opened my room.... Amazing... this must be the best hotel in the town. I loved it so much. I ordered room service sandwich late night. I loved it...I remember I couldn't find a switch for one of the lamp I gave up and ended up sleeping with a lamp on. I didnt get a chance to enjoy breakfast as the room was booked for only one and I had a guest. I guess the breakfast is expensive compared to the room cost. But its worth paying for the room.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SaurabhSal
SaurabhSal

I am delighted that we were a welcome change from your usual Hotel. I do hope we are able to welcome you back. Should you stay again it is only an additonal £10 to add an additional person for breakfast so you don't need to miss out!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We found this hotel by Expedia and we can't fault it. It is near the centre of town and the room that we had which was a Superior Double and it was fab ! it has a huge bed, modern bathroom, a separate seating area and good storage.

We ate in the bar one night and the food was lovely, the breakfast was excellent and well thought out - if you don't fancy self service they will get it it for you !

We were down to go to the theatre and we would go to the Stratford again. on our Sat nav it was called the Victoria (think there has been a name change)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheStratford, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Rhonz M

Thanks for the feedback about the bar food, we have just changed the menus and great to know you enjoyed it.

Kind regards
Midlands
Reviewed 3 November 2013

fabulous room, lovely decor and very spacious.
facilities were excellent - tea/coffee, nice toiletries, fridge, water, loved the heated bathroom mirror! Requested interconnecting rooms which we were given.

Staff were very professional and deserve to be praised - male receptionist and the maitre d' at breakfast were both excellent!!

10 minute walk into town - but easy to get a cab in the evening.

Minor complaints:
£5 to park car
Hit head on large lamps over bed (although they were rather nice!)
Breakfast was good - but not exceptional - bread thin, danish pastry was a little tough, scrambled egg bit soggy
view from room was over a flat roof and buildings but didn't expect rolling hills

However......this is a very impressive hotel - would definitely use Qhotels again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Midlandsmoaner

Thanks for the feedback and review. Great deals on QHotels.co.uk, definitely worth joining the Breakaway club for more offers.