“Good Hotel - However, there are better available”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Reviewed 15 February 2010

My wife and i stayed here for Valentines Day weekend. My wife and i have stayed in many luxurious hotels around the world and going away is probably one of our favourite past times.
We booked a suite and first impressions of the room were a little under expected. The suite rooms are really just bigger rooms and not really what i would classify as a suite. The decor is really nice however, but a bit pricey for what they were.
Kelly on the hotel reception was very helpful and it was nice to speak to such a pleasent young lady.
We went for dinner in the hotel restaurant and the food i must say was very nice indeed. The welcome glass of Champagne however did not come until we were eating our starter, so not really a 'welcome glass of champagne. We both really enioyed the food and the waiter seemed very nice also. I've never seen a waiter work so hard, he was probably doing the job of 2 people.
The only negative point i can say about the restaurant is that this was Valentines night and we were expecting some romantic music in the background. However there was no music at all and we found ourselves quite uncomfortably whispering to one another. As you coud hear everyone's conversation.
We headed back to our room to relax and watch a movie. The movie channels were not working. I called reception and told i had to go downstairs and register my card details to get this. So i got changed again and did exactly that! Tried the movie channels again and they were still not working, so called reception once more. They said they would call back and get this sorted. 30 mins later at 10.45pm they called back to say other guests are having the same problems. We later got a further call at 11.15pm to say the problem had been fixed. To be honest by then my wife and i were half asleep anyways, so didn't bother.
The next day we had breakfast in bed, however the breakfast was certainly not to the same standard as dinner. My egg looked like something that had been left for a few hours! There was also no toast as ordered or sauce. I rang down to get this delivered, which they did very quickly. I went to butter the toast to realise there was no butter, so again had to call down to get this delivered.
All round the stay was pretty average, with the food in the restaurant and waiter service there being the plus points.
Would i stay here again if i came to Stratford? Probably not, as i think there are better hotels out there. However i would also say there are many worse! So i would recommend this hotel for anyone not expecting too much.
I hope this helps for anyone looking to go here in the future.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2010

Traveller
Thank you for your post following your recent visit to The Stratford.
I was pleased that the majority of your feedback was positive, however I was naturally disappointed by the level of your room service breakfast, this certainly is not the level of standard that I excpect from my team and is not the level that we generally perform at, I am sincerely sorry that this impacted your stay and your impression of the hotel.
Should you change your mind regarding staying at the hotel, I would be delighted to personally meet you and discuss any further comments you may have.

There are newer reviews for The Stratford, A QHotel

Reviewed 7 February 2010

Stayed in deluxe room, upgraded via online price match guarantee.

Fantastic, luxurious room.

Excellent service, though did seem as if there was not enough staff for the hotel.

Friendly staff.

Cheap room service....highly recommended.

Near centre of town, 5 min walk.
Next to station.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank perbinder
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2010

Perbinder
I would like to thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel and indeed for your e-mail directly to the hotel.
I was pleased to have read that you enjoyed your stay and I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

Within 400m of the town centre and with plenty of free parking, if you can get a good deal on this hotel, I suggest you try it.
Rooms are very well equipped and it's a super cooked breakfast with very good staff.
The downsides are the charges for the internet (after your 2 free hours) cost £5 for another 2 hours, and the pillows are horrendously hard.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank wroughtironron
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2010

Wroughtironiron
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
Thank you for your kind comments relating to the staff, breakfast and generally your overall stay.
In terms of the internet and pillows, we have recently launched our new QStar rooms which include unlimited internet access in the rooms and have 'softer' feather and down pillows along with a whole host of goodies in the rooms including wine, beer, water, bathrobes and a personlised car parking space for you!
Once again thank you for your post and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future, maybe in a QStar room??

Reviewed 30 January 2010

Me and my gf went for a one night break to stratford on 29th january. Stayed at The Stratford and really enjoyed are stay. The hotel was modern, clean and the rooms were the best we have stayed in for the price, feature wallpaper, dark oak furniture, flat screen tv, everythin you want in a modern chic hotel an at £79 a night its a bargain.. The bathroom was very clean and classy with a great powerful shower. Quick and easy check in but the only problem we had was that we booked a double room and we were given a twin which made our nights sleep uncomfortable, our own fault though as we are not the type to complain and the room was still fantastic. The Maids do a fantastic job to keep the rooms in that condition. The breakfast was lovely and had everything you want, english and continental breakfast aswell as the usual cereals and toast. Good quality food though and that is sometimes a problem with some hotels but the sausage and bacon wasnt cheap rommel. All in all a great hotel. We didnt eat in the restaurant on the night as we eaten out but wish we would of tried the hotel restaurant now.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carlos1985

Carlos
Thank you for taking the time to write a post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
I was delighted to read of your enjoyable stay and for recognising the great work of the housekeeping team, I will personally ensure they see your comments.
I hope we get to see you at the hotel in the near future when you will be able to sample Quills restaurant!!

Reviewed 16 January 2010

We booked a weekend treat for ourselves before Christmas.
The we had snow all over the country. We contacted the hotel and said that we couldn't travel (we only live an hour away) because of the weather.
We got very short shrift from staff who were unhelpful to the point of being rude and were told that it was our problem, not theirs.
They refused to reschedule or do anything to help in any way. I have since written to their customer relations manager, and got the same answer in about 3 sentences.
Do they really think that that sort of customer relations is going to endear them.
If you're staying here make sure there is no chance of snow, rain, too much sun etc !!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marktracey
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2010

MarkTracey
Thank you for your post. As with many areas of the travel industry we offer both flexible rates and what we call our 'saver' rates that are non refundable and non changeable, if one of our flexible rates had been booked in this situation we would have more than happily re-arranged your stay.
My team were instructed to stick to the terms and conditions of the rates and I can assure you it was not their intention to come over as rude, as you can see from previous posts we pride ourselves on our customer service delivery at The Stratford Hotel.

Reviewed 4 January 2010

Very well appointed hotel set in attractive wooded grounds within walking distance of the centre of Stratford. Our room was superbly appointed and newly refurbished with an excellent en-suite. Only down side was, it was a bit on the small side, but this wasn't a problem.

We did eat dinner in the restaurant on the second night. The food was of a high standard with exceptional service. Unfortunately, I found a hair in my main course. When I informed the waitress she was exteremly apologetic and without my request the manager later came over to apologise. I was offered a replacement and was not charged, and our wine was given complimentary.
We did not drink in the hotel bar, but did try out some of the local more traditional pubs all come complete with a good selection of lagers and real ales and a toasty real fire.

If Indian cuisine is your bag, check out the fantastic Mint3 situated in Greenhill St. It was late, and we had the restaurant to ourselves, this abled impecable service and the food was fantastic!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SoulfulMinx
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2010

Da Minx

Thank you for taking the time to review The Stratford Hotel following your recent stay.

I apologise for the issue you experienced in Quills Restaurant however I was delighted that the issue was resolved immediately and in a satisfctory manner.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

General manager

Reviewed 15 December 2009

We stayed for two nights and what a wonderful time we had. Close to the centre of Stratford and very comfortable. Can`t wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmas_the_best

Emma

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.