“Beware you may not sleep all night”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Reviewed 28 March 2010

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Stratford.
A few days before we were due to arrive we received a E mail asking if we would like to upgrade to a Q room however I wrote back straight away and asked for a Q room only to be told there were none left! I asked why I had received the E mail and was told it was an automated letter ??
Anyway when we arrived at 7 PM we asked if we could book dinner for that night and was told not until 9pm.
Later after eating in the bar we heard another member of staff telling customers tables were avalible at 8.15 and 8.30 very strange.
Our room was a tiny little room nothing like the ones on the web site but it was clean although as it was a "Attic" type room the ceiling slopped off and we were always in danger of stricking our heads , see picture this was a real event after I had taken a photo of my wife ( 4f 11")sitting on a chair !
The hotel food was OK but only OK the menu raved about how good the breakfeast was but I think they should go to another 4 star hotel to see how it should be done.
The location is great and only a few minutes walk into town.
On the first night we were woken at 11PM by a very loud group shouting and swearing until 3.30AM we thought it was from a wedding or something I checked the windows were closed but the noise was so lound it was like they were right outside our window.
However as we walked back to the hotel on Saturday night we found the reason for the noise. There is a night club right next to the hotel and offering a deal for £15 as much drink as you can take.
Once again at 11PM we were kept awake until 3.30AM.
I spoke to Micheal the duty manager and explained I thought the hotel should tell guest staying in the front of the hotel that they would be woken at 11PM until 3.30AM he thought the hotel shouldn't tell guest about problems outside of the hotel and said if we had told him Saturday he would have moved us but were ? we had already been told the hotel was full. As we paid over £100 per night I feel it is an outrage the hotel staff gave such a couldn't care less attittude. As we had such a poor nights sleep we had to drive home again in the morning and were unable to visit more local villages this ruined a birthday weekend for my wife. I spoke to other guests and the people who had rooms at the back of the hotel were OK but all at the front said they had been kept awake. I wouldn't stay here on holiday or bussiness unless the room was at the rear of the hotel.
I'm not one to complain ( see other posts) but I wouldn't like to see others have to put up with this noise and have their holiday / break ruined.

1  Thank Lynn&me
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2010

Lynn&Me
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Stratford Hotel.
I was sorry that your break did not match your expectations and that your sleep was somewhat disturbed. The Stratford is a town centre location and from time to time there may be noise from 'revellers', the nightclub you refer to is down the street and not "right next to the hotel" as your post states. I must confess this issue is very rare but more common with many of our competitor hotels even more central than ourselves.
I can 100% assure you that our team members do not have a "couldn't care less attitude" and our ranking on Trip Advisor highlights this, we pride ourselves on our service delivery and the quality of the hotel product we have.
I am sorry that you would not choose to return to the hotel but should you change your mind, please do contact me personally.
Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for The Stratford, A QHotel

Reviewed 26 March 2010

i should have stayed for two nights but had to move to sister hotel stratford manor for one night , wasnt very happy at first but was treated very very well by the staff at the stratford manor and their driver chris who was superb , booked into the stratford for my last night and had a superb room with chocolates and wine , the reception staff were very polite and helpful , i have been lucky to stay in some of the best hotels and i must say this is up there with them , i recommend this hotel to anybody who wants and likes to be treated well , thank you very much

1  Thank tonyhiggins
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2010

Mr Higgins
Firstly, thank you for your understanding in being accommodated in our sister hotel for the first night of your stay.
I was delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and in particular thank you for your comments relating to the reception team.
I sincerely hope we will see you at the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 March 2010

Decided to stop off here on the way back from a conference. Was very pleased with the quality at the price I paid in comparison to other more well-known 'chain' hotels in the area. Service from all staff was polite and prompt. My room was very comfortable and clean (if a little dark). The only downside was that noise did seem to transfer from room to room quite easily and although it didn't affect my stay I can see how noisy neighbours might spoil your stay. I didn't have the evening meal in the restaurant ... I'm not a big fan of hotel food and there are plenty of restaurants literally a couple of minute's walk away. Apparently the restaurant is / has been refurbished, but when I had a very good breakfast in there it was hard to tell what stage this was at.

Bar area was good but it was disappointing that there was only one TV that could be viewed. Drink prices were at the high end of what I would expect to pay in a hotel.

A pleasant stay and I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank LonePhotographer
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2010

Mazda6Man
I would like to thank you for your post, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Stratford Hotel.
Quills restaurant, along with the entire hotel had a refurbishment 18 months ago, I would recommend on your next visit you do try Quills, it is not a typical hotel menu and the food is of exceptional quality. There is now a page for Quills on Trip Advisor so you can view the posts accordingly.
Once again thank you for your post and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2010

Just returned from a weekend at the Stratford Q hotel and would like to say a big thank you to the staff for making our stay quite special. We had a wonderful upgraded room, hotel is in a fab location, food was excellent. We really enjoyed dinner on the second night in the restaurant (Quills) which was superbly presented by very attentive staff and of an excellent quality. Thank you for making our weekend so pleasurable. Stratford Upon Avon is a lovely place to visit and we can recommended the Stratford Q Hotel as a perfect place to stay. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank GANDT50
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2010

GANDT50
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I would also like to thank you for taking time to mention the staff at the hotel. I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.
I hope we will see you at thh hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2010

We stayed here for the Valentines weekend and enjoyed it that much we booked an extra night. The staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. The room was a good size and although no upgrades were available we were more than happy with the standard room.

The breakfast was a very good standard, with plenty of choice and all excellent quality. We also ordered room service (well it was valentines!!) and that arrived promptly and was once again excellent quality.

The location of the hotel was also ideal, right in the heart of Stratford with everything in walking distance.

We thought this hotel provided excellent value for money, especially as we have stayed in other hotels that although alot more expensive did not provide the same all round high standards.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie1979
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2010

Suzie
I would like to thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
I was delighted to read of your satisfaction with the hotel and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2010

Booked through the chain's website directly, couldn't beat the price on any of the competitors like lastminute etc. Couldn't specify any special treatement such as an early check in or upgraded room if available though and a seperate enquirey received a no as they were so busy!
Indeed that story played out when we arrived and there was only one car parking space left. The hotel didn't really give a great first impression. Although centrally located in a really good position for walking to the centre of town it is right next to a hospital (albeit a private one LOL) and to be honest the theme seemed to carry over! We also went in through the back door which opened up into several corridors before we found the main lobby. The main lobby itself was well presented but not oppulant and lacking in wow factor for a 4* in my opinion.
Check in was problem free, friendly and efficient.
The room itself was on the small size for the price but tastefully decorated in a masculine, powerful style which I know my husband appreciated. It was full of dark wood panelling and furniture and bold striped wall paper. It was pretty nice and a well thought out design. The bed was comfy and the room's thermostat was controlled from the room which was nice. The LCD tv was a good size but there was not a plethora of channels available. The bathroom looked good but the shower, although adequate, was not particularly powerful and I do like a nice powerful shower.
Breakfasts were to die for. Perhaps the most delicious and well presented of any hotel buffet breakfast I have experienced so far. Really yummy and well cooked and plenty of it.
We ate in the restaurant on Valentine's Evening, not our first choice, having eaten breakfast there it lacked a sense of atmosphere as an evening venue somehow, a bit ordinary. However the food was again delicious but I thought a little overpriced, but no more than you might find in any other hotel and we did not order with budget in mind!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Linny
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Stratford.
You are completely correct in your observation about the hotel looking like a hospital, the hotel is based on the original design of the building it replaced, Stratford's originlal hospital.
I was delighted with the positive response you posted following your stay and in particular the comments relating to breakfast.
I would like to respond to the power from the showers, as part of our corporate social responsibility policy, the hotel installs water saving devices that limits the export of water from the shower, this along with other initiatives led us to be awarded with the GTBS accreditation for our environmental initatives.
Once again thank you for your post and I hope to see you at the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2010

I'm usually a little suspicious of 'chain' hotels but this is a real gem. Very smartly decorated with an expensive feel to it. The location is superb; just a few minutes walk to the centre of Stratford town, but not too close to be noisey. Our stay included breakfast, and they provided a good selection. If I had to make a criticism (and this would be REALLY picky) it would be that the windows could do with a bit more soundproofing as they let in a fair bit of street noise. But I slept all night without being disturbed so only very light sleepers need to be concerned. I'd definately stay again if I could get another good deal on the room rate.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

DannyBoy
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and your suspicions were overcome.
In terms of deals you can sign up on our website for such offers and we will keep you updated on the latest special offers available.