“The best hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon centre”

The Stratford, A QHotel
Yorkshire
“The best hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon centre”
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I had to stay in Stratford at least once a week on business throughout 2008 and 2009 and, after brief flirtations with The Thistle and the Legacy Falcon hotel, stuck with The Stratford for an extended period of time without any regrets.

Staff, both reception and restaurant, were never less than courteous and the rooms were the best to be found in the city. Unlike the other hotels in Stratford that were cheap off-season and then cranked their prices up to ridiculous levels in high season, The Stratford remained competitive all year round. Off-season, the price was usually £5-£10 above local competitors but the quality of room decor and service made this choice a no-brainer.

It is less than 10 mins walk into the City Centre and The Stratford should be the first port of call for tourists and visiting business people, despite not looking ideally situated at first glance. It certainly is a cut above the other hotels that are closer to the main attractions, particularly those around the theatre.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank RichH6109
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2010
Rich
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review after such a long stint of staying with us. I was pleased to read that you were well looked after and you deem us the best in the town.
I hope we see you again at the hotel in the near future on leisure this time?
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Korean first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2010

styed as part for my wife birthday whislt visting Stratford.
Room was very trendy and stylish, and very well appointed.

Short walk into town centre, and would be ideal for the station.

Didnt have dinner here, but breakfast was really nice buffet style.

great stay, great value.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigdan03
BigDan
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review The Stratford following your recent visit to Stratford upon Avon.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found it good value.
Chicago
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel is 10 minutes walk from the center of Stratford and 5 minutes from the rail station. There is plenty of parking. The reception area is adequate and dominated by a bar.
My room (deluxe) felt small and crowded. It had 2 beds and 2 arm chairs. The roof was slopping and overall felt low. The beds were comfortable and the sound insulation was good. The was a TV with radio and pay for movies.
Internet access was via a cable and it was fine. The room includes 2 hours of "free" internet use and then it is £5 for 2 hours - annoying to stay in a 4 star hotel and have a charge for a service that costs them a couple of pennies to provide.
There is tea and coffee (instant) in the room, with plenty of tea bags.
The room was air conditioned - but this is England and so it isn't really needed.
The bathroom was OK except that there was a bath with a shower - but it wasn't possible to use the bath as a bath, and it felt difficult showing in a bath with steep sides and a narrow bottom. I would have preferred either a bath or a shower that worked as what is was.

The breakfast was excellent - good choice, well cooked and presented.
There is no pool in the hotel - we were directed to a sister hotel - a little hard to find and further away than the staff said. But it was a good pool, sauna and gym.
I didn't have any other meal at the hotel - Stratford is full of restaurants.
The reception staff were helpful - but a bit difficult to find at times.
It felt like this could be a very good hotel - but many details didn't work as well as they could. I know that I am being picky - but we were charged an expensive rate and they called the room "deluxe" - which it was't.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Joe
Many thanks for your post, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the overall stay and I apologise for the "few annoying faults" you found at the hotel.
Once again thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
Solihull
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We escaped for a night away and it was just that! I had looked at older style romantic hotels, but was glad they were all booked; lovely room, pleasant staff, only fault is that we are both coffeeholics and there were only 2 sachets in the room. This was rectified by a member of housekeeping; we had breakfast in our room which was lovely. My Partner proposed to me whilst we were there - so now we have booked our Wedding Reception at the hotel too!

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2010
Kayem
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the hotel.
I was delighted to read of your satisfaction and even more so that we will be hosting your forthcoming wedding, a lovely story and we look forward to your big day.
Congratulations.
Singapore
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We booked this hotel as a base for our travels in the Cotswolds. The room furnishings are of high quality, but we found the room to be rather small. We got a room which had slanting roof beams on one side - be careful not to bump your head when you get up from bed! The room was generally clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed a restful two nights in this hotel. As for location, the town is about a 10-minute walk away, where they are sufficient cafes and restaurants to satisfy hungry stomachs and rest tired feet. Personally, I found the town of Stratford-upon-Avon abit too touristy for my liking. I much preferred rambling in the beautiful Cotswolds.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pinkbeetroot
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
PinkBeetroot
I would like to thank you for your post and I was pleased to read that your stay was restful. Sorry that Stratford Upon Avon did not meet your expectations but should you return to the area in the future I hope we see you again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed at this hotel for six months between August 2009 and February 2010 due to work commitments.
This is by far the best hotel in the centre of Stratford, it’s a minutes’ walk from the train station and 3 minutes from the city centre.
The hotel was refurbished recently so it’s finished to a high standard, the staff are very helpful and friendly, if I had any issues they took care of it without complaint.
The breakfast is a buffet with a selection of English and continental options.
The wi-fi is free as is the parking.
The only negative points I can really say is, the cost of the bar. Yes its a 4 star hotel but its at least a 50% mark up from the rest of the area. The gym is also usless, its 2 running machines and some free weights.
I really like this hotel, I had the choice of whatever hotel I wanted and after a couple of weeks I choose The Stratford, its a quiet hotel, with great service in a great location.
Would I go back, yes.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank le1ther
le1ther
I would like to thank you for your post following your long term stay with us, I was pleased that you chose The Stratford for your base for working in the area and that you found it a good hotel to spend a long time at.
Thank you for recognising my team here, they are a great team and it is nice for them to get the recognition for their efforts, I will certainly share your comments with them.
In terms of the gym, we do have a modest resident gym but for anyone wanting more extensive facilities we offer our sister hotel in Stratford complimentary to all our guests.
I sincerely hope you look at returning for a weekend get away at some stage.
Dunbar, East Lothian
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic romantic anniversary break to Straford, staying at the Stratford Q Hotel.

This is a brilliant hotel, located so close to the town centre that a short walk takes you right down through the town to the river, so everything is within easy reach. Although location is crucial, it's setting (within its own grounds) keeps any town traffic noise out of earshot. There's also plenty of parking (free), so if you do drive down, bear this in mind as some hotels charge for parking!

Inside the hotel is just as well thought out. The public areas are visible as soon as your reach Reception, so you won't get lost. Having said that, we foundt he staff very friendly and helpful - and always well presented.

The room was decorated to a high standard and we wanted for nothing during our stay.

My only niggle (and it is minor) was the price of food (restaurant and room service). However, we found plenty of excellent eating places in the town, so it didn't cause us any concern. By the way, have a meal in Il Moro (yards away from the hotel) for a great night out with a Sardinian slant on Italian food. The barge restaurant is also a "must" for a different type of eatign experience.

What else can I say, except you can't visit Stratford without a night out at the RSC. We saw Romeo & Juliet with Sam Troughton (Much of TV's Robin Hood) and it was brilliant!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Road_not_sky
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
A&J
Thank you for your post, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you again in the near future, maybe once the RSC re-opens their main theatre again in early 2011?