“Great location”

The Stratford, A QHotel
south wales
“Great location”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Though a little pricey, the rooms etc were really comfortable. Well set up and the grounds are fab. It was really excellent for our theatre visits as we were only 10 mins walk away.
Meals were ok but not fantastic and the waiters/resses were a little more concerned about their foreign clients, but that was ok.
Second night we ate at the Garrick Inn and that was brilliant

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welshwitch57
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
welshwitch
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the hotel.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay but naturally I was disappointed that the service in the restaurant was not to our normal levels but I can assure you nothing was intentional in terms of the other guests in the restaurant.
Once again, thank you for your post and I hope to see you back at the hotel in the future.
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Myself and around 25 colleagues had an all day meeting here on 16th June followed by an overnight stay.
On arrival at the hotel we were met by the conference person Desmond, who explained how everything worked, went over timings and arrangements with us. Anything we asked for throughout the day was no trouble and he regularly checking things were ok but wasn't intrusive. Front of house staff were also very helpful. We needed some speakers and they arranged it very quickly, no fuss.
It was a lovely day so most people took their finger buffet lunch outside.
It's only a 10-15 minute stroll into town so after the meeting we went on a boat trip with Bancroft Cruisers which was very pleasant.
Then back to the hotel.
We dined in a private room. The service was very good and everyone enjoyed (most of) the food. They mark the back of the name cards with what you've ordered so there's no calling out for who has ordered what. Very effective. Apparently the creme brulees were very runny and someone complained on behalf of everyone who had one. But the response came back from the chef was that how was it was supposed to be (the complainant was French so that didn't go down well !!).
I can't comment on breakfast as I don't eat it.
All in all very efficient and helpful staff which totally made our stay.
I have already reserved space at the hotel for our senior mangement team at the end of July and highly recommend this hotel for conferencing.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Sharangoose
I would like to thank you for your post, I was delighted to read that you and your fellow delegates enjoyed your conference at the hotel and indeed that you have rebooked for July.
In terms of the creme brulee I was also of the opinion that creme brulee should have been solid but I must admit I now like the less solid version so I apologise that it did not meet some expectations.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in July.
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We visited Stratford with friends for the theatre and stayed overnight at the Stratford.
Arriving mid-morning we found the reception desk vacant and no staff anywhere except those serving in the dining room. When the receptionist appeared she was friendly and helpful. We asked for coffee in the bar but when it came it was barely tepid. A complaint to the waitress led to an apology and prompt rectification. She disposed of the rejected cffering and made fresh, hot ( and good) coffee. A shaky start to our stay though the staff were pleasant and obliging when we found them.
The initial impression of the ground floor facilities, lounge and bar, is that they are comfortably furnished but impersonal and even a bit oppressive owing to the very low ceiling - an architectural design fault that is hard to overcome.
Our twin room was spacious and well appointed with very comfortable beds. Our friends' double room was smaller but similarly furnished.
We had pre-theatre dinner at Il Moro, a family run Sardinian restaurant just down the road, very amiable and chatty with authentic cuisine, so cannot comment on the hotel dinners.
Breakfast was standard 3/4 star hotel pre-cooked self service buffet with usual wide choice but nothing to inspire enthusiasm nor to cause complaint.
We did like the quiet location, away from the noise and bustle of the town centre but only a few minutes walk away.
The hotel is pricey but on a par with other 4 star hotels in Stratford.
The Saturday we were in Stratford an excellent farmers' market was in full swing, providing us with various tasty snacks for lunch.
We did the touristy things, a river boat trip and the open top bus tour, both of which are a good way of using limited time to see the places of interest, albeit superficially.

1 Thank woodhall2
Woodhall2
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your post following your recent stay at the hotel.
Despite the slow start for which I apologise for, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Wynyard
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This was a lovely, clean and functional hotel. Location spot on being only a short 10 minute walk from town. Staff very helpful and pleasant. Tried room service and the food was tasty and good value. The room was pleasant and practical, with good quality sheets. My only gripe.....the mattress. A bit soft and my side felt springy, well used and was a bit creaky! But I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Kirstey
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Kirstey
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, we will take a look at the mattrass, maybe due a turn sooner than expected?
Once again thank you and I hope we will see you again in the future.
General Manger
Kent
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed in the Stratford for 3 nights on booking requested not to stay on the top floor as these rooms seemed small as other trip advisors comments, unfortunately thats where we ended up ROOM 326 the room was very small to the point of being uncomfortable there was a small window where the television was located in front of the window making the room dark, the shower over the bath was very narrow The top cover on the bed was torn in several places reported this staight away nothing done seeing this cover would have been handle daily by staff making the bed this was very bad housekeeping, and for a paying Guest to have to report this then it was all too late.
We paid an average of £120 per night inc breakfast have stayed better for less cost in Edinburgh and York. The breakfast and service was very good in the morning and the hotel was quiet with a good location to the railway station did not use other facilities in the hotel as we were so disappointed in the room. There is a very good restaurant in Ely Street called the Sorrento where the food and service was excellent would need to book as it gets really busy. Warwick Castle is a good day out the tourist Information near the castle sells entrance tickets as the queues can be very long. A visit to the houses in Stratford were well worth a visit.

kentgrantly
Thank you for your post and I apologise that the room did not meet your expectation, I agree that the throw over the bed should have been picked up by my housekeeping team and for that I apologise.
Should you be returning to Stratford-upon-Avon in the near future, please do contact me directly and I will personally handle your room allocation.
Bristol
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Booked into The Stratford at the last minute yesterday afternoon after having no luck with other hotels. Had already looked at this hotel online before the w/e and wanted to stay but thought it was too expensive. Fortunately for me I was able to get some discount due to a promotion and was lucky to get an upgraded double room, which Clare on reception was happy to show us first before we decided on booking. The room was huge and modern with a modern twist on a huge four-poster bed, double basins in the bathroom and fluffy gowns to relax in. Lots of choice for breakfast, although fresh mushrooms would be better instead of tinned and the sausages were bland, but apart from that, would recommend this hotel and would choose to stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
Devonian
Thank you for your post and pleased you gave returned to us and enjoyed your stay at The Stratford.
I would like to highlight that our mushrooms are indeed fresh and cooked in water, salt, pepper and butter. We always aim to use fresh ingredients but I was sorry these did not meet your expectations.
We too look forward to seeing you again at the hotel in the future.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I had to stay in Stratford at least once a week on business throughout 2008 and 2009 and, after brief flirtations with The Thistle and the Legacy Falcon hotel, stuck with The Stratford for an extended period of time without any regrets.

Staff, both reception and restaurant, were never less than courteous and the rooms were the best to be found in the city. Unlike the other hotels in Stratford that were cheap off-season and then cranked their prices up to ridiculous levels in high season, The Stratford remained competitive all year round. Off-season, the price was usually £5-£10 above local competitors but the quality of room decor and service made this choice a no-brainer.

It is less than 10 mins walk into the City Centre and The Stratford should be the first port of call for tourists and visiting business people, despite not looking ideally situated at first glance. It certainly is a cut above the other hotels that are closer to the main attractions, particularly those around the theatre.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank RichH6109
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2010
Rich
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review after such a long stint of staying with us. I was pleased to read that you were well looked after and you deem us the best in the town.
I hope we see you again at the hotel in the near future on leisure this time?