“Elegant hotel in excellent location”

The Stratford, A QHotel
newcastle
“Elegant hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

The hotel is located very centrally -- a mere five minutes away from the High Street and Shakespeare's birthplace. As it is sited in its own grounds, there is free parking, which comes at quite a premium in Stratford. The reception area is spacious and elegantly furbished, as are all of the communal facilities (bar, restaurant). Check-in went very smoothly, with the receptionist being very professional and friendly. The room had been prepared, but unfortunately had two twin beds pushed together, despite the fact that when booking the room it was clearly stated that there would be a double bed. Indeed, twin beds had to be specifically requested. I returned to reception and was told that we could be moved to another room, which did have a double bed. However, it was about three times smaller than our original room and because of the sloping roof, it was impossible to sit in the chairs next to the table unless you assumed the 'crash position', or were the height of a three-year-old. As it was late and we had travelled a long time we were too tired to return once again to reception with all our bags. I was quite surprised that the next morning I had to ask for a change of room, stating that I had not booked and paid for a boxroom. We were told that it had been the only room available the night before. This is fair enough, but one would have expected a hotel of this quality to have taken the initiative to move us to another room. The new room (the third !) was very nice, large, and well appointed. The service and food in the restaurant were excellent, as was the breakfast offering. The Independent newspaper was complimentary, as was two hours of broadband Internet access per day, which was sufficient for our needs (e-mails and basic surfing). A word of caution in respect of room service; though it is stated to be 24 hours, this only applies to sandwiches since anything cooked is only available during restaurant hours, which rather defeats the purpose of room service. I found this out to my great disappointment on the first day, when we arrived near the closing time of the restaurant (9.30). As we wanted to relax in the room first, we decided to order room service but had to make do with a sandwich. It was rather irksome that the receptionist had not pointed this out to us. Equally annoying was the fact that the room service menu was nowhere to be found in the room. The general hotel guide states clearly (in bold!) that it is on the desk; instead, I had to ring down for one. In fact, as the person who brought us a menu made clear, it was tucked away in some niche near the door. However, he admitted that this discrepancy had been mentioned during a recent inspection! Clearly, some lessons need to be learnt. Also, one would expect a hotel of this standard to have a bath robe, and a bit more generosity with the room coffee/tea offering. We were also a bit disappointed to find that on one of the days, our sheets were not changed, despite the presence of a clearly visible coffee stain. These are all details, but one would not expect them in a hotel of this standing. Finally, a big thumbs-up for the chef. On our last day we arrived nearly half an hour after the breakfast service had ended and although we were resigned to having some tea and what remained of the breakfast buffet, chef kindly offered to cook us a splendid full English breakfast. Much appreciated customer service well beyond the call of duty!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
Bertie33
I would like to thank you for your comprehensive review of The Stratford Hotel following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the overall experience at the hotel despite a few room issues which I was pleased got resolved whilst you were at the hotel.
The room service comments disappoint me as we do have a small selection of warm meals to be served 'out of restaurant hours', something I will address with my team.
We would also be happy to supply any guest with additional complimentary beverages on request an in terms of bath robes these are available in our superior, Qstar and Feature room types complimentary.
Once again thank you for your post and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Booked & paid for a night at this Hotel through a major online booking agent, who have a guaranteed room policy. This did not help us! Arrived at 6.30 pm tired & hungry after a 4 hour drive to be told "sorry sir,the Hotel is full".
When asked what happened we were told there was a "glitch in the system"! This is a large Hotel with over 100 rooms,what did we do wrong to be offloaded? Did everyone else book & pay before we did? The staff were obviously embarrassed & apologetic.
We were then directed to another Hotel which took us a further 25 minutes to find!
In the past 5 years I have stayed in 218 different Hotels,& this has never happened before, even when a town is booked out ,which certainly was not the case here.
If you are foolish enough to book this Hotel be warned! You may not have a room when you arrive!

hannah-dee
I wish to sincerley apologise for the experience you had on arriving at The Stratford and I admit this was our error and I completely understand your frustration. Unfortunately mistakes do happen and I amm sorry that it was you that was impacted on this occassion.
Once again apologies for this.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Room was spotless and very nice, good view and ideal location within walking distance for visiting Stratford. Staff are very polite and attentive. Breakfast was ok but bacon was very fatty. We looked forward to eating at Quills Restaurant within the Hotel which has an AA Rosette, it was very disappointing. The starter of mushrooms had no seasoning and was tasteless. The rump of lamb main was lacking any red wine jue and the banana split for dessert could have been bettered in any seaside cafe!. My partner had duck with supposedly gratin dauphonaise potatoes but tasted and looked like normal mash. Cheesecake was also very disappointing. On the whole a gorgeous hotel, great location, good rooms that were very clean but food very disappointing and not fine dining.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chefscorer
chefscorer
I would like to thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel. Naturally I was disappointed by your dissatisfaction with Quills restaurant. I must admit feedback such as yours is very rare for Quills in terms of food quality but I do sincerely apologise for your expectations not being met.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Very friendly welcome and professional staff. Food excellent and a nice atmosphere. Would not hesitate to recommend. The staff are a credit to this establishment. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and touight it great value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
albert
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.
Timperley Cheshire
Reviewed 24 September 2010

had a really wonderful stay here fom 12th september for 4 nights - staff very very efficent, friendly- room was excellent as my husband is disabled they were very helpful, room was spotless and enough room for his mobility scooter - only one problem my husband treated me to a spa day at the wildmoor spa & health club , which is promoted by the stratford hotel and you pay them on your hotel bill - any extra treatments you pay at the spa- included in the £40.00 package is a 2 course lunch - which was very nice and a treatment called simply float - unfortunately I was left in the relaxation room for over 1 hour as no one came in to get me for this treatment as they had forgotton I was there - they did eventually fit me in later in the day but by this time I wa very unrelaxed and ened up not enjoying the experience at all I think the £40.00 was very excessive for a day I found not a good spa experience and all I really got out of it was a 2 course lunch - I would NOT recommend this package to other guests until the hotel sorts out any problems with the spa - I am still waiting for the hotel to get back to me on this as I spoke to the manager the next morning as we were leaving to go home and he assured me he would get back to me as soon as he could as he was waiting to hear from the spa? still waiting for an explanation !

busterdog
I would ike to thank you for your post and your complimentary words about the hotel. I must sincerely apologise that nobody has got back to you regarding your experience at Wildmoor Spa, this is a very rare issue and I will personally get to the bottom of the issue and respond to you in due course.
Once again than you and I will be in touch.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights, room was just as it looks in the photos, comfy bed, proper duvet, no noise from next door rooms, lovely modern bathroom, I can not say anything negative even when I try really hard, even the breakfast was lovely - buffet full English (scrambled/fried eggs, cooked fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, sausages ,hash browns, baked beans, etc), lovely loaf of bread or standard white/brown toast breads, Danish pastries, muffins, yoghurt, fresh fruit, etc. Really nice place, deserved 4*! I would come back here again. Good location, about 5min walk from Shakespeare house.
We had dinner in Balti Kitchen (Indian restaurant - about 3min walk from hotel) - this was delicious, really tasty Indian food.
Also go to Butterfly world (10min walk from hotel), amazing place, for £5.95(adult) you can walk amongst beautiful butterflies, freely walking iguanas and little chicks (and also seeing different creepy crawlies - tarantulas, scorpions, etc)
- Overal - lovely hotel, and a great value!

evie
I would like to thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the breakfast which I agree is fantastic!!
I hope we will see you back in the hotel in the very near future.
Newport
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We booked this for a weekend leisure break. We got a good price on this hotel using the search engines so it was excellent value against the hotels own rate. The room was spacious and clean and decorated nicely. The breakfast was ample and well organised. They had a gym here but we did not use this. Prices on drinks were more expensive than a pub, but not too overpriced. Excellent service from all the staff and everyone was very friendy creating a lovely atmosphere. As far as Stratford goes, this was the perfect location, justa short walk down the road to the centre.
WE had a great stay here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2010
MikeMalo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for highlighting my teams service, I will ensure that your comments are shared with them.
Once again thank you and we hope to see you at the hotel again in the near future.