The hotel is located very centrally -- a mere five minutes away from the High Street and Shakespeare's birthplace. As it is sited in its own grounds, there is free parking, which comes at quite a premium in Stratford. The reception area is spacious and elegantly furbished, as are all of the communal facilities (bar, restaurant). Check-in went very smoothly, with the receptionist being very professional and friendly. The room had been prepared, but unfortunately had two twin beds pushed together, despite the fact that when booking the room it was clearly stated that there would be a double bed. Indeed, twin beds had to be specifically requested. I returned to reception and was told that we could be moved to another room, which did have a double bed. However, it was about three times smaller than our original room and because of the sloping roof, it was impossible to sit in the chairs next to the table unless you assumed the 'crash position', or were the height of a three-year-old. As it was late and we had travelled a long time we were too tired to return once again to reception with all our bags. I was quite surprised that the next morning I had to ask for a change of room, stating that I had not booked and paid for a boxroom. We were told that it had been the only room available the night before. This is fair enough, but one would have expected a hotel of this quality to have taken the initiative to move us to another room. The new room (the third !) was very nice, large, and well appointed. The service and food in the restaurant were excellent, as was the breakfast offering. The Independent newspaper was complimentary, as was two hours of broadband Internet access per day, which was sufficient for our needs (e-mails and basic surfing). A word of caution in respect of room service; though it is stated to be 24 hours, this only applies to sandwiches since anything cooked is only available during restaurant hours, which rather defeats the purpose of room service. I found this out to my great disappointment on the first day, when we arrived near the closing time of the restaurant (9.30). As we wanted to relax in the room first, we decided to order room service but had to make do with a sandwich. It was rather irksome that the receptionist had not pointed this out to us. Equally annoying was the fact that the room service menu was nowhere to be found in the room. The general hotel guide states clearly (in bold!) that it is on the desk; instead, I had to ring down for one. In fact, as the person who brought us a menu made clear, it was tucked away in some niche near the door. However, he admitted that this discrepancy had been mentioned during a recent inspection! Clearly, some lessons need to be learnt. Also, one would expect a hotel of this standard to have a bath robe, and a bit more generosity with the room coffee/tea offering. We were also a bit disappointed to find that on one of the days, our sheets were not changed, despite the presence of a clearly visible coffee stain. These are all details, but one would not expect them in a hotel of this standing. Finally, a big thumbs-up for the chef. On our last day we arrived nearly half an hour after the breakfast service had ended and although we were resigned to having some tea and what remained of the breakfast buffet, chef kindly offered to cook us a splendid full English breakfast. Much appreciated customer service well beyond the call of duty!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chic and sophisticated, this delightful hotel is the epitome of good taste. And we don't just mean our heavenly restaurant, Quills. Following our £7 million refurbishment, the décor is oh so contemporary and absolutely gorgeous. The extravagant rooms take you to a place beyond comfort. Centrally located, a stroll away from great shopping, theatres and attractions, and 2 minutes from the train station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Stratford, A QHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Stratford, a q Hotel Stratford-Upon-Avon
- The Stratford a Qhotel
- Stratford a Qhotel Upon Avon
- Stratford Victoria Hotel