“great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Stratford, A QHotel
lincoln uk
“great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

we found this hotel to be very clean ,tidy the staff are excellent very polite and helpful food was also excellent and being a coeliac they were very happy to adapt the menu for me .we did find the drinks very expensvise £12.00 for 2 drinks

1 Thank lavinalincolnuk
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
lavinalincolnuk
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that your stay was an enjoyable one and that the team went out of you way to cater for your requirements.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future
Chris Steadman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Korean first
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

What a charming hotel, very close to the town center with extremely nice staff. The room was beyond our wildest dreams (we were in room 320). It was nice to feel special, which is unfortunately not always the case when you are young travellers.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank 2637mdk
2637mdk
Thank you for taking the time to review the Stratford Hotel following your recent stay with us, I was pleased to read that the team and the hotel made your trip so special and we aim to deliver a certain level of service to all of our guests and I am pleased that you personally experienced this.
I hope to see you on your next vivit to England.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I spent 4 nights here celebrating my first wedding anniversary. The room was a standard double but exactly like the picture shown on the website I booked it through. It was large, spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was also large and very comfortable. The bathroom was modern with good fittings. Housekeeping came round everyday and made sure the place was clean and tidy. It had all the usual tea making facilities but with a mini fridge tucked away also. The was plenty of storage in the room with a desk and also a round table and comfy chairs to lounge on the morning for tea. The hotel was literally round the corner from the train station and a short walk from Shakespeare's birthplace and main shopping area. The hotel had an on site bar and restaurant (although I did not use these facilities and so can not comment on their quality) as well as a mini gym. It was quite small and only consisted of 2 treadmills, a bike, rowing machine, ball and dumbell set although it was adequate for my personal needs. Overall I was a little disappointed with Stratford itself, I felt that my expectations of the hotel were met entirely.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PhoenixSJS
PhoenixSJS
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the hotel following your recent stay.
I was pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and thank you for special mention of our Housekeeping team, often the unsung heroes of hotels!!
Once again thank you for your post and I hope we see you at the hotel again in the future, maybe to explore the Cotswolds or Warwick rather than Stratford itself?
newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

The hotel is located very centrally -- a mere five minutes away from the High Street and Shakespeare's birthplace. As it is sited in its own grounds, there is free parking, which comes at quite a premium in Stratford. The reception area is spacious and elegantly furbished, as are all of the communal facilities (bar, restaurant). Check-in went very smoothly, with the receptionist being very professional and friendly. The room had been prepared, but unfortunately had two twin beds pushed together, despite the fact that when booking the room it was clearly stated that there would be a double bed. Indeed, twin beds had to be specifically requested. I returned to reception and was told that we could be moved to another room, which did have a double bed. However, it was about three times smaller than our original room and because of the sloping roof, it was impossible to sit in the chairs next to the table unless you assumed the 'crash position', or were the height of a three-year-old. As it was late and we had travelled a long time we were too tired to return once again to reception with all our bags. I was quite surprised that the next morning I had to ask for a change of room, stating that I had not booked and paid for a boxroom. We were told that it had been the only room available the night before. This is fair enough, but one would have expected a hotel of this quality to have taken the initiative to move us to another room. The new room (the third !) was very nice, large, and well appointed. The service and food in the restaurant were excellent, as was the breakfast offering. The Independent newspaper was complimentary, as was two hours of broadband Internet access per day, which was sufficient for our needs (e-mails and basic surfing). A word of caution in respect of room service; though it is stated to be 24 hours, this only applies to sandwiches since anything cooked is only available during restaurant hours, which rather defeats the purpose of room service. I found this out to my great disappointment on the first day, when we arrived near the closing time of the restaurant (9.30). As we wanted to relax in the room first, we decided to order room service but had to make do with a sandwich. It was rather irksome that the receptionist had not pointed this out to us. Equally annoying was the fact that the room service menu was nowhere to be found in the room. The general hotel guide states clearly (in bold!) that it is on the desk; instead, I had to ring down for one. In fact, as the person who brought us a menu made clear, it was tucked away in some niche near the door. However, he admitted that this discrepancy had been mentioned during a recent inspection! Clearly, some lessons need to be learnt. Also, one would expect a hotel of this standard to have a bath robe, and a bit more generosity with the room coffee/tea offering. We were also a bit disappointed to find that on one of the days, our sheets were not changed, despite the presence of a clearly visible coffee stain. These are all details, but one would not expect them in a hotel of this standing. Finally, a big thumbs-up for the chef. On our last day we arrived nearly half an hour after the breakfast service had ended and although we were resigned to having some tea and what remained of the breakfast buffet, chef kindly offered to cook us a splendid full English breakfast. Much appreciated customer service well beyond the call of duty!

Bertie33
I would like to thank you for your comprehensive review of The Stratford Hotel following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the overall experience at the hotel despite a few room issues which I was pleased got resolved whilst you were at the hotel.
The room service comments disappoint me as we do have a small selection of warm meals to be served 'out of restaurant hours', something I will address with my team.
We would also be happy to supply any guest with additional complimentary beverages on request an in terms of bath robes these are available in our superior, Qstar and Feature room types complimentary.
Once again thank you for your post and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Booked & paid for a night at this Hotel through a major online booking agent, who have a guaranteed room policy. This did not help us! Arrived at 6.30 pm tired & hungry after a 4 hour drive to be told "sorry sir,the Hotel is full".
When asked what happened we were told there was a "glitch in the system"! This is a large Hotel with over 100 rooms,what did we do wrong to be offloaded? Did everyone else book & pay before we did? The staff were obviously embarrassed & apologetic.
We were then directed to another Hotel which took us a further 25 minutes to find!
In the past 5 years I have stayed in 218 different Hotels,& this has never happened before, even when a town is booked out ,which certainly was not the case here.
If you are foolish enough to book this Hotel be warned! You may not have a room when you arrive!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
hannah-dee
I wish to sincerley apologise for the experience you had on arriving at The Stratford and I admit this was our error and I completely understand your frustration. Unfortunately mistakes do happen and I amm sorry that it was you that was impacted on this occassion.
Once again apologies for this.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Room was spotless and very nice, good view and ideal location within walking distance for visiting Stratford. Staff are very polite and attentive. Breakfast was ok but bacon was very fatty. We looked forward to eating at Quills Restaurant within the Hotel which has an AA Rosette, it was very disappointing. The starter of mushrooms had no seasoning and was tasteless. The rump of lamb main was lacking any red wine jue and the banana split for dessert could have been bettered in any seaside cafe!. My partner had duck with supposedly gratin dauphonaise potatoes but tasted and looked like normal mash. Cheesecake was also very disappointing. On the whole a gorgeous hotel, great location, good rooms that were very clean but food very disappointing and not fine dining.

1 Thank chefscorer
chefscorer
I would like to thank you for your post following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel. Naturally I was disappointed by your dissatisfaction with Quills restaurant. I must admit feedback such as yours is very rare for Quills in terms of food quality but I do sincerely apologise for your expectations not being met.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2010

Very friendly welcome and professional staff. Food excellent and a nice atmosphere. Would not hesitate to recommend. The staff are a credit to this establishment. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and touight it great value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
csteadman, General Manager at The Stratford, A QHotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
albert
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at The Stratford Hotel.
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.