“Very pleased indeed.”

Stratford Manor Hotel
Kent, United Kingdom
“Very pleased indeed.”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed for two nights with a work colleague this week. I must say we had a very good stay and really would strugge to find a fault.

I booked two double Q Star rooms on a special offer price of £79 per room, per night including breakfast before the offer expired the end of January- and glad I did! Rooms were large, well presented and well equipped. The little extras such as proper glass wine glasses, drinks, bath robes, nibbles and biscuits, newspaper and the more comfy and better quality bedding was well worth the extra money.

Staff were very polite in all areas we visited. Particular mention should be made of the guy who was on reception in the leisure club when I visited (sorry can't remember his name) Although down to earth and maybe a bit over familiar (referring to me as "chief" on several occasions) I found him to be very efficient and polite and to be fair it didn't bother me with him referring to me a chief, but others may not like it. He really couldn't do enough for me on my visit- even offering me a bottle of shower gel when he saw me leaving the pool to go into the changing room. All this attention despite the fact he had already told me he had been rushed off his feet with an influx of mums and kids on half term holiday. Thumbs up to him!

Didn't have dinner in the evening as we went into Stratford on both evenings, but breakfast on both days was very good indeed. We didn't eat until gone nine on both morning and yet everything was still available and clean and tidy. On the last day we even observed some guests coming down for breakfast at 9.45am (breakfast finishes at 9.30am) and yet they were welcomed in and the hot buffet was topped up for them. Food was of a good quality and every choice was catered for.

Some people have mentioned in other reviews about the noice in rooms at from of the hotel. Both our romms were at the front and we had no issues. Our rooms were 167 & 169.

Grounds seemed well kept- certainly at the front. Can't comment about the rest as we didn't go outside to see.

Very happy with our visit and would certainly stay again- hopefully at the same offer price as before!

Room Tip: Q star rooms are worth the extra money. Even more so if you can get a deal.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear pleasantKent,
Thank you for taking the time to review Stratford Manor.
I'm really pleased that the team made you feel welcome and that you got value for money. Our Q Star bedrooms are very popular and I do hope that when you return we have the availability for you.
Whilst delighted our leisure team made you feel welcome I will be speaking with the leisure attendant in question to 'tone' down the warmth of welcome for future guests.
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Stratford Manor hotel with my boyfriend and we were there for a total of 3 nights in February 2012. It was pleasant, the staff were very attentive and professional and the room rates were fantastic. The bar/lounge area was lovely and the swimming pool, steam room and sauna facilities were greatly enjoyed I am sorry to say that I didn't test the gym area so am unable to comment. Papers were delivered every morning as requested in time for us to go down for the buffet breakfast which was exceptional! All in all a good stay although personally I would have liked to have been closer to Stratford Town Centre however, there were goods links to areas such as Snitterfield, Alcester and Charlecote Park.

1 Thank naomi e
Dear naomi g,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.
I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your 3 day break with us. Our team appreciate that we are an ideal destination for a relaxing break and will always go the extra mile to ensure our guests enjoy their holiday.
With so much to do and see in the area it is important that we get breakfast right and reading your comments about how exceptional it was reassures me that our guests are well fed before they go and explore.
Our sister hotel The Stratford is located in Stratford-upon-Avon so should you be returning to Warwickshire and wish to be somewhere closer then please do give them a call.
Bootle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just returned from a short break at the Stratford Manor, our first stay at a Q Hotel. I must say this proved to be an excellent choice. Q Star Room (169) away from the bar etc & very quiet. Mini Bar well stocked & replenished, free papers etc a bonus. Restaurant was great food fantastic with great service, as was the bar with waiter service for drinks. Food in bar also good and quickly delivered. Plenty of choice at breakfast. Did not try the leisure facilities, had great intentions, but they put the bar between the room & the pool! Internet access free throughout the hotel, although had to use the cable in room. Stratford just a couple of miles down the road & you can use the sister hotel The Stratford for free parking. All staff were very polite & helpful.
If there had to be one negative, it would be the lack of spa treatments at this hotel, hopefully this might be available in the future.
So we have now decided to book another stay at a different Q Hotel after receiving a great offer from joining the Breakaway Club.

Dear I_Fox9hwb
Welcome to the world of Q!!!
Thank you for your kind review. I'm delighted that you will be visiting other Q Hotels from now on. As a member of our Breakaway Club you will receive exclusive deals and promotions for future stays within Q Hotels.
We are currently in the process of seeking funds to open a spa facility at Stratford Manor which hopefully will be open later in the year.
Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Me, my wife and our 2 year old daughter recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights after finding a good deal online. When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised by how well it was presented, a nice lobby with smiling staff behind the counter.

Checking in was a breeze, they'd remembered the travel cot we had requested and told us everything we needed to know about the hotel.

The Room

Our room was a 'standard' room which was a comfortable size (bearing in mind we also had a travel cot in there) with a nice sized flat screen tv, trouser press (do people really use these still?) tea/coffee etc. The room was decorated nicely and was very clean, especially the bathroom which was well stocked with shampoos etc.

Leisure

We only used the swimming pool so cannot comment on any of the other amenities. The changing rooms for the pool were clean, big enough and had nice warm showers. The pool and surrounding area were very clean and big enough, however you could tell that some of the tiles needed replacing and possibly some re-grouting.

On the whole swimming was a pleasurable experience with helpful staff handing out towels/locker keys etc.

The Breakfast

In my opinion this was the best part of the stay. There was a huge range of food available, the usual cooked produce as well as cereals, cold meats, breads, fruit, pastries, porridge, yoghurt, muesli etc. etc.

All of it looked and tasted fresh and was replenished often whilst we were in the restaurant.

Local Area

We travelled to Cadbury World (about 30 mins away) which was very easy due to the hotel being easily accessible from the motorway. We also visited Stratford upon Avon for the day - we used the park and ride service which is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel.

On the whole our family thoroughly enjoyed staying in this hotel with very little we could fault. Based on what we paid (£60 per night) we thought it was excellent value for money and a very enjoyable experience.

Dear sancho_1983,
Thank you for taking the time to review Stratford Manor.
I'm really pleased that you found our hotel and service to meet with your expectation. We are in a great location to explore Warwickshire, Birmingham and The Cotswolds. I hope that during your stay your daughter had the time to play in our childrens play room (available during school holidays). On your next visit, why not have a go on our frisbee golf course for something a little bit different.
Thank you again for your review, I will be sharing your feedback with the team in due course.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed with our two children for 2 nights on the 40% off promotion so decided to treat ourselves to two interconnecting rooms. We were very close to reception so very convenient. The rooms were reasonably spacious and bathrooms clean. Don't know how often the door between the two rooms are used as the carpet by the doors were grubby. The window ledges were dusty, not what you'd expect from a 4* hotel.

We decided to eat at the hotel the first night and as the restaurant didn't open until 7.30, we ate at the bar but from the restaurant menu. The food choices weren't great and expensive for what was served. It certainly didn't taste like it has come from a quality kitchen. There were positives from this dining experience. The children's menu was good and the service was mostly with a smile. It was busy and Rebecca who served us was very courteous. A 10% service charge was added to our bill which we hadn't been aware of until it came. Don't know whether that's standard for a hotel. Although it was discretionary, there doesn't appear to have an option to take it off, but it did have a space for additional tip! We would have tipped the waitress anyway as she worked so hard, but felt a bit cheated.

The breakfast was very good with lots of choices and plentiful of everything. We spent the next day in Stratford and parked at The Stratford, which was very convenient. We used the pool and thought it was good. The changing room was a bit small but adequate.

Overall, we had a good stay. We've joined the Breakaway Club, so hopefully will be staying at a QHotel again but will probably avoid the restaurant.

Dear mfw81,
Thank you for your review.
Whilst pleased that you enjoyed your stay I am sorry that you did not find the variety and quality of our food to your liking. During the half term we do open our restaurant earlier (from 6.30pm) as we appreciate that a lot of our younger guests normally eat at this time - I will be investigating as to why the restaurant was not open until 7.30pm.
Our team of chefs are always looking for new ideas and inspiration for our menus. We will be launching our new Spring and Summer menu in April.
As a member of our Breakaway I hope you enjoy exploring the other 20 Q Hotels around the country.
London
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a theatre break to the RSC at Statford. Room was clean comfortable and spacious. Bathroom clean, bath water hot. TV large screen but channels few and radio badly tuned. No mini-bar, a mixer-sized bottle of water at the bar was pricey. Breakfast a self serve buffet, ample choice and good enough quality. Gymnasium well equipped and swimming pool large, with childrens' area, sauna etc; but changing room crowded and a bit grubby. Great playground outside for children. Lots of parking (this is an advantage over its city sister hotel at which parking is problematic). Staff friendly. There are steps from the front arrivals area up to the reception, but there is a side ramp for wheelchairs and I think the whole hotel is accessible to them.

We stayed before, about a year ago, and liked this hotel, that's why we went back. We're almost sure to return to Statford, the theatre and this hotel.

Dear Cassini,
Thank you for reviewing Stratford Manor.
Welcome back!! It is always a pleasure to welcome back our guests. Just 3 miles from the centre of Stratford-upon-Avon and with easy access to the M40 and M42 motorways we are ideally located to explore everything that Warwickshire has to offer.
The recently re-opened RSC theatre is very impressive and I look forward to welcoming you back to Stratford Manor when you know what production you will be seeing in the future.
norwich
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Our relatives have recently bought a house in this area and we paid them a visit this half term, but chose to stay in the Stratford Manor as a family treat. We chose this hotel for the leisure facilities and the dbb package which would have been good value had it been of a reasonable standard. Both the pool and changing facilities and the food let the hotel down badly and for this reason we will be choosing somewhere else to stay every time we visit our relatives in the future.

Because the pool had no attendant on Friday early evening we left our clothes on the benches in the changing room - no choice, with no locker key issued. The pool and the area were so so, the changing facilities a little tired and grubby. No idea about towels, there wasn't anyone to ask! Saturday morning the attendant was there, surfing the internet, the water seemed a little warmer this time and we got a locker with a key and towels.

Friday's food was kind of '70's style. My husband and I had a sharing starter, which depended on good ingredients since no cooking was involved. The oil and vinegar dip was made from some type of pale tasteless vegetable oil. The hummous was let's say untraditional, with bits in it (bits of I'm not sure what though, not chickpea for sure, green things I think). The olives were like rubber widgets and free of taste. The feta was cheap and a bit rubbery, not sharp and crumbly. I could mentally picture the "Basic greek style salad cheese" packaging. The platter was completed with a couple of slices of semi raw albino coloured dough.

Enough of this, because the mains were much much worse, but let's skip to Saturday's breakfast which visually resembled a car crash - exploding sausages, rubbery scrambled egg, mushrooms floating in murky liquid and slightly curled yet fatty bacon. You could pile this feast onto toast which began its life as frozen bread waiting for its fate.

The literature proclaims the food to be fresh, local, beautifully presented - but no words can do justice to the cheapness and tastelessness of the food, and it's a shame because really the menu is not very ambitious - fish, chicken, greek salad; these are not so hard to get right.

You could ask why we didn't address it at the time, but taking into account that we were having a rare family break with our two children, it seemed pointless to raise the issue of food when the key fault was with the original ingredients; whatever the chef (?) had done, the end result would have been catastrophic.

The service throughout the stay was great and the room and bathroom were completely OK but you'd have to not want to swim or eat for this to be a good experience, in which case....you may as well stay somewhere else.

Dear flowers99,
Thank you for your thorough review of Stratford Manor.
I am sorry that we have failed to meet with your expectation on this occasion. Without going into a blow by blow account of what you have written, should you wish to discuss any element of your stay then please do contact me directly at the Hotel.
As you will see from other reviews the experience you have had on this occasion is very rare as we pride ourselves on offering value for money and our high levels of friendly service.
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!