“Great hotel, look forward to returning”

Stratford Manor Hotel
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Made many trips to Stratford over the past few years but this was my first visit to the Stratford Manor. Easily the best hotel I've stayed at in Stratford.

Very pleasant reception staff, and bar/restaurant staff were exceptional.

The rooms are a decent size with great features such as a wall mounted 32 inch TV, trouser press and ironing facilities.

A bigger TV would have helped in the bar area as it was quite busy with people watching the football when I was there.

The Gym facilities are pretty decent and not too busy on the occasions I used the pool and gym.

Breakfast was great and the honey they serve apparantly comes from bees kept on there estate (very nice too!!!).

The only downside is that it's not within walking distance of Stratford centre, but a taxi wouldn't be too expensive.

Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear andrew1978,
Thank you for giving Stratford Manor a review on TripAdvisor. In addition, thank you for contacting our customer relations department earlier this week and passing on your kind words to them.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We pride ourselves on our friendly and attentive service and it is really pleasing that you have commented on this.
Stratford Manor has 4 bee hives located within our grounds and we do work closely with a local bee keeper to produce the honey that is available at breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed 18 March 2012

A very well appointed 4* hotel. The rooms were very nice not cramped at all with good size bathroom. All usual things in room as you would expect in a 4* hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly. The public areas are excellent with plenty of room.
We ate in the restaurant and was pleasently surprised with the high standard of the food with exceptional presentation. Not particullaly cheap but thought the food was worth it.
My usuall complaint with all hotels of this standard is the stupid prices they charge for drinks, and it was no exception here.
It should be noted it is quite a long way from town, a taxi for 6 of us cost £12.00 into Stratford.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Dear pipjo,

Thank you for reviewing Stratford Manor. Whilst I am pleased to read your overall comments I am sorry that you did not agree with our bar prices. Our bar prices are established by our Head Office and I will be sharing your comments with them in due course.
Stratford Manor is located 3 miles from Stratford-upon-Avon town centre and complimentary car parking can be found at our sister hotel The Stratford.
I do hope that you will visit us in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2012

A recent visit revealed a hotel which is clearly trying to shore up its finances by accepting large, noisy block bookings from parties. I have stayed twice in the past 18 months...a real pity to see a hotel with good potential being turned into a party venue like this. Steer well clear.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GeorgeGordon
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear GeorgeGordon,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our business.
I am sorry that you feel the hotel is declining in service. As a fully functional hotel we look after various groups of customers from conference and business guests, leisure guests, weddings and banquets.
The group in question was a masonic lodge and we are a very popular venue for functions of this sort. Whilst I appreciate that all our guests have their own individual expectations, we expect that our guests will behave in a respectful way to other guests.
Having stayed with us in the past and subsequently returned based on your previous experience I am more than happy to discuss your comments further should you wish to get in touch.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is misleadingly rated 4 star but a recent stay revealed poorly trained staff resulting in second rate service.

On booking we requested a "quiet room please" but were given a room partly facing the main road and with an audible motor type noise.The next morning the Duty Manager apologised and promised us a quiet room with an upgrade .The upgrade promise was subsequently withdrawn by reception but we were given a room facing the rear of the hotel which was fine.The next morning the Duty Manager said there was in fact an upgrade room available and he couldn't understand why the receptionist had backtracked !

We were further annoyed on checking-in to discover that the restaurant was closed for a private function on the first night but food was available "in the bar" ! This represents a very cavalier attitude and is just unacceptable - we ate out.Why weren't we told in advance ? This hotel is geared for large groups and any bookings should be carefully checked.The staff are friendly but poorly supervised and training policy needs overhauling to ensure the non-English staff in particular understand customer requests.

Room Tip: Always choose rooms facing away from main road.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear KENTTOM,
Thank you for reviewing Stratford Manor.
I am sorry that we were unable to fulfil your request for a room overlooking our grounds. We will always try to meet our guests requests but this is not always possible.
I am most alarmed that you chose to eat out of the Hotel on your first night with us. Our usual restaurant did host a private function however an alternative dining room was operating on the evening and was attended by 40 hotel guests. I will be investigating as to why you were not told of our restaurant operation when you checked into the hotel.
All our 'foreign' staff are interviewed and attend a company induction prior to them commencing employment at Stratford Manor. It is our policy that employees in a 'front of house' capacity have a good understanding of the English language and I am sorry if you felt your requests were misunderstood.
Whilst I appreciate that you may not return to Stratford Manor I am confidant that your experience on this occasion is out of character for us and do encourage you to read the other reviews from other travellers to Stratford Manor.

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on business... Overall pretty good... Wifi throughout hotel... Food was good... Room was clean and facilities very good. Will use the hotel for future meetings definitely.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Poppin999,
Thank you for taking the time to review Stratford Manor.
I'm pleased that you enjoyed our facilities and service and hope that should you be in the Midlands on business or leisure in the future that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here and it is a very comfortable hotel. Disappointed that there have been cutbacks on drinks in room. No more chocolate sachets for instance.Other than that it is ideal for STRATFORD and only a couple of miles down the road there is a free carpark on the left and a lovely walk along the river takes you into the centre.
The staff are very helpful and friendly qand we will go again I,m sure.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pam b
StratfordManorOps, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear pam b
Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to welcome back guests and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Sorry that we no longer offer hot chocolate with the tea/coffee making facilities however we have a great selection of beverages available at the bar or from room service.
I look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit in due course.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Stayed for two nights with a work colleague this week. I must say we had a very good stay and really would strugge to find a fault.

I booked two double Q Star rooms on a special offer price of £79 per room, per night including breakfast before the offer expired the end of January- and glad I did! Rooms were large, well presented and well equipped. The little extras such as proper glass wine glasses, drinks, bath robes, nibbles and biscuits, newspaper and the more comfy and better quality bedding was well worth the extra money.

Staff were very polite in all areas we visited. Particular mention should be made of the guy who was on reception in the leisure club when I visited (sorry can't remember his name) Although down to earth and maybe a bit over familiar (referring to me as "chief" on several occasions) I found him to be very efficient and polite and to be fair it didn't bother me with him referring to me a chief, but others may not like it. He really couldn't do enough for me on my visit- even offering me a bottle of shower gel when he saw me leaving the pool to go into the changing room. All this attention despite the fact he had already told me he had been rushed off his feet with an influx of mums and kids on half term holiday. Thumbs up to him!

Didn't have dinner in the evening as we went into Stratford on both evenings, but breakfast on both days was very good indeed. We didn't eat until gone nine on both morning and yet everything was still available and clean and tidy. On the last day we even observed some guests coming down for breakfast at 9.45am (breakfast finishes at 9.30am) and yet they were welcomed in and the hot buffet was topped up for them. Food was of a good quality and every choice was catered for.

Some people have mentioned in other reviews about the noice in rooms at from of the hotel. Both our romms were at the front and we had no issues. Our rooms were 167 & 169.

Grounds seemed well kept- certainly at the front. Can't comment about the rest as we didn't go outside to see.

Very happy with our visit and would certainly stay again- hopefully at the same offer price as before!

Room Tip: Q star rooms are worth the extra money. Even more so if you can get a deal.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear pleasantKent,
Thank you for taking the time to review Stratford Manor.
I'm really pleased that the team made you feel welcome and that you got value for money. Our Q Star bedrooms are very popular and I do hope that when you return we have the availability for you.
Whilst delighted our leisure team made you feel welcome I will be speaking with the leisure attendant in question to 'tone' down the warmth of welcome for future guests.