“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Harwich, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Weekend Function - 5/7 October 2012
My wife and I shared the table with "mishmash41" and her family for the banquet on the Saturday night and concur wholeheartedly with her account of events. In addition to the confusion over the vegetarian choices, the service to our table was slow and when delivered the main course was cold. My wife also had a special dietary requirement for a main course "without onions and extra gravy". The absence of onions on this occasion was not a problem but the extra gravy had to be asked for despite its requirement having been notified well in advance and again just prior to the start of service.
(From personal experience and knowledge of the event organisation I am confident that the communication failure is not with the group's organizer.)
My wife was the "lady" who remonstrated with what appeared to be a "duty manager" and we were most unimpressed with the indifference we encountered.
Conversely, our experiences in the main restaurant on the Friday night and at both breakfasts were more than satisfactory, mainly due to the care and attention given by one of the waiters who proved most helpful. I cannot recall his name but he's "the Big Guy of Greek descent" and is a great asset to any hospitality establishment.
My professional assessment of our stay is that both "Event Management and Service Recovery" at the Stratford Manor are in need of urgent review.
I am aware that the group has booked again for next year's event but on the basis of our experience at this year's banquet we will not return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KTurnbull, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Robert G
Thank you for taking the the time to pass comment on your stay at Stratford Manor.
I am sorry that you felt not 100% satisfied with the service at Saturdays function. I have been in contact with both the college you mention and the Worshipful Master of your event to discuss the evening.
I am pleased to hear that you felt Vasilli, our 'Big Guy of Greek descent' worth a mention, he was very pleased that his service was recognised.
I do hope that the strength of our Restaurant team and service can sway your decision to return.
Adam Coventry, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
felsted
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

having spend the weekend at this hotel i cannot praise the staff enough
they are all working with a smile and nothing was too much trouble
the food was nice
but the overall consistant service was exceptional
i will return

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KTurnbull, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2012
Dear sjbones
Thank you for your kind comments about your weekend with us. It is nice that the team are appreciated, their smiles are always there because they enjoy their work. It is a matter of pride for our team at Stratford Manor to deliver the best service possible to all of our guest. I am glad to hear that we have succeeded again.
We look forward to your future return.
Sheffield England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was our second stay at a QHotel after staying in the Aldwarke Manor near York earlier in the year and I've got to say it's our favourite yet! from the moment you drive up to the grand entrance at Stratford Manor you can't help but be impressed!

We arrived at midday on a Sunday as we were stopping there on a spa package and wanted to have our light lunch before 2pm, even though check in time was 3pm the girl on reception kindly made some phonecalls and managed to get us our room organised just 5 minutes later, enabling me and my Fiancee to put our luggage safely away and have somewhere to relax and change before our spa treatments at 2:30.

The Spa area itself, although smaller than other hotels was still plenty big enough with sun loungers and chairs round the pool area to relax in while waiting for others to have their treatments, the pool is a good size and depth and felt great after the previous days walking, as was the 50minute shoulder and back massage which was the best i've ever had, and the same opinion was shared from my Fiancee who had the same girl as I did, didn't catch her name but she was a friendly blonde girl who was polite and professional .

The food we ate while staying at the Stratford Manor was first class, whether it was the light lunch we had on arrival, the evening dinner, or the breakfast the following morning, there were plenty of choices available, and everything we had was delicious and cooked to perfection, all eaten in a beautiful spacious dining area, and served to us by friendly helpful staff.

The room we stopped in was a QStar VIP room which we upgraded to over the phone after given the chance to when booking, the room itself was again spacious, spotless and to a very high quality, with lovely little touches like fresh milk in the fridge and a newspaper on the desk!

The only problem we experienced was when we went to bed around 11:30pm and upon everything being switched off and the room been silent we noticed a vibrating noise which seemed to be coming from the ceiling, after a little while and after the noise became louder we called reception and they sent someone to come investigate, after coming in the room and agreeing that it was impossible to sleep with the noise the lady allowed us to move to the room next door which was unaffected by the vibrating noise and sleep there, returning to our original room the following morning. this was done swiftly and we were happy with the professional way the lady on reception handled it.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Stratford Manor very much and will recommend it most highly to friends and family, and hope to return ourselves in the future, thank you to all the staff there for making our stay an enjoyable one.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear chris_evetts
Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your Spa experience at Stratford Manor. 'Affordable Luxury' sounds like a perfect description. We aim to please in our service and are glad that you approve. I passed your feedback to Claire in the Spa and she was touched by your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Yours sincerley
Adam Coventry, Operation Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2012

Great, relaxing spa break stay. I recommend the spa ritual which involves, neck, back and shoulder massage and the oriental head massage.
Staff really attentive and friendly from start to finish.
Food is excellent especially the light lunch served as part of the spa break/day offers. It comes in a cute small tray with dividers for your courses. The three course evening meal was mouth watering and tasty with the steak cooked to perfection (medium rare).
The only improvements which could be made to warrant a 5 for overall rating is a relaxing/chill out room as part of the spa along with heated beds around the pool, ice bowl and jacuzzi.
Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a peaceful and relaxing break during the week.

Room Tip: Room 101 is quiet and close to the spa.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Dear Nicola1811
Thank you for your positive feedback on our Spa offering. The Spa at Stratford Manor is a new feature for us, and it's nice to hear that we have got it right. I am glad you found the treatments attentive and friendly and the food excellent, feeding this back to the team is always a nice experience.I do hope we can welcome you back for another peaceful and relaxing break in the near future.
Bridgend
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

We booked Stratford Manor Hotel through the Secret Escapes website. Although there may be a Manor nearby, this hotel isn't it. It's a fairly new sprawling conference centre type of hotel, not a Secret Escape. There were 4 conferences/seminars taking place on the day we arrived. The one lounge/bar is a noisy place, used by self-imporatnt buisnessmen throughtout the day. Not a place where you can snuggle up with a good book and a nice cup of coffee.
BEWARE THE SWIMMING POOL. I can't swim but love going in the water. I walked down the steps into the pool and to my horror steps were replaced by a steep slope. I slid and lost my footing and crashed into the water. The slope took my wife by surprise too, but at least she can swim. I was panicking and drowning. The swimming instructor at the side of the pool was no help at all. Although I was dragging my wife underwater while she was trying to save me, she eventaully managed to push me so taht I could get my feet on the steps again. That is the most terrified I have ever been. It probably lasted for less than half a minute but I thought I was going to die.
All the management were concerned with was telling me that it had passed all safety inspections, and they just wanted me to sign the 'accident book'.

We had to move rooms on our first day. In the panick, I left behind a Camera Battery Charger that was plugged in. We never saw it again. It wasn't there when I told reception that I'd left it behiind. They just didn't care that it had gone missing.

I will never, ever stay at a QHotel again, and I will do my best ensure that the hotel does not appear in any other Secret Escape offers.

Room Tip: 212 is next to the linnen room - very noisy all day with staff talking continuosly. We moved. 156 ha...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Alan J
KTurnbull, Manager at Stratford Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear Alan J
Thank you for taking the time to pass comment on your stay at Stratford Manor this week.
I am truly devastated that you had the experience you describe in our swimming pool. I just wish you had seen the signage on the reception desk and around the poolside about the pool depth changes and recommendations for non swimmers, then this unfortunate incident could have been avoided. I am sorry, and somewhat confused, that you felt our swimming instructor was of no help. We have very stringent safety procedures in place and with any incident that happens at the hotel we write a full report. Our swimming instructor has provided a statement that she entered the pool and provided assistance to both your wife and yourself.
My apologies that I was not able to catch up with you personally during you stay with us, I would very much like to discuss this further with you and have written to you directly following your feedback to Nic Molyneaux, our Duty Manager
Ashford kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

We had a weekend break at the hotel with a view of taking in nearby Stratford upon Avon and Warrick Castle. Was close to both of these and could not fault the facilities provided by the hotel. Experienced use of the spa with a massage treatment again excellent. Food was excellent and staff friendly and polite. Would really recommend the Qhotel group to all. On checking out and returning home we discovered we had left a phone charger in the room. On phoning the hotel they not only found the charger but agreed to post to us free of charge.

Room Tip: We went for the Qstar double with nice touches of a all be smal but free mini bar in the cost as wel...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Deanquinn

Thank you for you lovely feedback, it is always nice to receive. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at Stratford Manor, and will recommend QHotels. Our Spa is a brand new feature for us and we are pleased to hear you had an excellent treatment. We have 20 other properties across the country for you to enjoy.
Berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

Just had a one night stay, two rooms hired B & B and Dinner for two couples; we booked the higher quality rooms. Check in fine, car parking fine, room quality and cleanliness and preparation all fine, no issues.
Evening meal/Dinner - food good and service good wine pricey.
Breakfast: Appalling. Entered at opening time; buffet for hot food ( oh no - don't hotels ever learn)
1. No hot plates ( do they realise hot plates are needed for hot food?)
2. Food cooked on night shift with the look and feel of it - Bacon ready for use in Timpsons shoes repair shops, tepid and like leather, Fried eggs cremated in frying pan with No liquid yokes. Just abysmal.
3. Coffee - tepid

Also charged and refunded after - for a newspaper which is supposed to be included.

Advised Reception of the issues with Breakfast but whislt freindly nobody thought to offer some compensation or any other deal. The breakfast spoilt what would otherwise have been a good review

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Dear Enigmavation
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Stratford Manor. I am pleased that in the most part you were happy with your stay. Our Head housekeeper prides herself in her bedroom standards, and is pleased to have delivered.
I am truly disappointed that you did not enjoy your breakfast, and have shared you comments with our head chef.
With it being the most important meal of the day we offer a full cooked and continental breakfast buffet in order to cater to all tastes, be it a hearty full English or a light healthy bowl of fresh fruit with home made yoghurt.
I do hope that next time you are in the area given the good food, service at dinner and bedroom standards, that you will chose to stay with us again.
Yours Sincerely
Adam Coventry, Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratford-upon-Avon
The Stratford, A QHotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,950 reviews
Stratford Limes Hotel
Stratford Limes Hotel
#1 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Stratford Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!